• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

About to ditch the high-speed drivers.

You people do realize if you are throwing your buzzz farther then your nuke then you are not throwing your nuke correctly. Just because it is a faster disc doesn't make it go farther automatically. It's the amount of spin that you put on a disc that dictates how it flies nothing to do with power or speed or w/e. It's all spin. Don't believe me throw a putter for two week straight only. You will eventually realize that with more spin you can throw the same line but farther with more spin; or shorter with less spin. Spin = snap for some people

discgolfcenter.com has flight numbers for all discs that seem pretty accurate. Some are a little off in my opinion. You may also look at discgolfreview.com under the "disc reviews" section. The site has their own system for all manufacturers which is helpful but may be confusing if you gauge everything off of how Innova sets flight numbers.

https://www.altitudediscgolf.com/Altitude Disc Golf Flight Chart.pdf

This chart is the best I've seen so far. Has most, but not all discs and all of the numbers are based off of Innova's ratings system.

You people do realize if you are throwing your buzzz farther then your nuke then you are not throwing your nuke correctly. Just because it is a faster disc doesn't make it go farther automatically. It's the amount of spin that you put on a disc that dictates how it flies nothing to do with power or speed or w/e. It's all spin. Don't believe me throw a putter for two week straight only. You will eventually realize that with more spin you can throw the same line but farther with more spin; or shorter with less spin. Spin = snap for some people

More spin = wearing your arm out quicker.

Not wearing my arm out, may be why I shot the hot round in the second round of the last two tournaments I played. I'm sure I can throw a nuke farther than a Buzzz. I'm also sure my shoulder will be a lot more tired from trying to throw one an entire round. Why throw a distance driver inconsistently on a 350' hole, when with less effort I can park it or have an easy par with a mid? Also, the last tourney I played in was pretty much mud tee pads. Not much run-up required when throwing a mid.

Last edited:
I have several High speed drivers in my bag strictly for sidearm. My game is 50% RHBH and 50% sidearm so I have alot of uses for high speed discs. Since a sidearm is so much easier to get a disc up to speed its quite easy to throw a nuke or a boss and have pinpoint accuracy. Not to mention for big hyzer and hyzer skip shots RHBH.

Why throw a distance driver inconsistently on a 350' hole, when with less effort I can park it or have an easy par with a mid? Also, the last tourney I played in was pretty much mud tee pads. Not much run-up required when throwing a mid.

This makes no sense.

I am a huge advocate of throwing the slowest disc necessary, but in the rain/snow/nastyness, discing up and powering down is easier. Putting 350 feet onto a mid will need much more torque (slippage) than a fairway driver.

yes send it to the landfill if people disagree.

sometimes i think about buying a disc thats under max weight, or over speed 10 but then i just distract myself with some other useless ****

This makes no sense.

I am a huge advocate of throwing the slowest disc necessary, but in the rain/snow/nastyness, discing up and powering down is easier. Putting 350 feet onto a mid will need much more torque (slippage) than a fairway driver.

Then explain how I shot better than everyone else in the second round when the tees were even worse from the rain and other foot traffic. I threw a putter or a mid off of the tee on all but three holes. How does a slower speed disc need more torque to achieve its maximum distance?

while it requires more torque (he is right on that) it also has a larger surface area to grip. Mids inherently have a larger rim and are easier to hang onto, drivers with the smaller rim will end up slipping out earlier more often in rain, cold etc. if you intend on throwing hard. The other option is to not throw hard, and disc up to get distance. It all comes down to preferred style of play.

I'm not talking about grip issues, just footing issues. For me, a mid or putter is the best choice when I can only take one step or have to stand still.

I would rather disc up to a lighter weight higher speed disc and throw with less power in bad weather...we are different. Do what's best for you and your scoring.

I'm finding I can do without putters for the most part - bought a gently used Skeeter today for a few bucks, just to try. Played a round with that and my trusty blue Shark, and made par. The Skeeter was amazing for 2nd shots, straight as an arrow, leading to gimme putts. I like putting 25 feet or less with the Shark, but nailed a 35 footer with the Skeeter. Maybe commonplace to you good disc golfers, but this presents a significant upgrade to my noob game.

Then explain how I shot better than everyone else in the second round when the tees were even worse from the rain and other foot traffic. I threw a putter or a mid off of the tee on all but three holes. How does a slower speed disc need more torque to achieve its maximum distance?

I said nothing of the sort. :doh: It takes more energy to make a mid fly 350* feet than it does to make a driver fly 350* feet.

*or 400, or 500, or whatever...

Then why do I feel less tired after playing a round with minimal use of drivers? It seems to me anyway that I'm using less energy to get a mid to travel far. Maybe because I weight 225 lbs, and don't have a noodle arm it's easier to get the torque you're speaking of.

My guess is that you have better form with mids that you aren't trying to hulk out there. Mids make me think of accuracy and not throwing the **** out of it, so I throw them more cleanly.

I'm finding I can do without putters for the most part - bought a gently used Skeeter today for a few bucks, just to try. Played a round with that and my trusty blue Shark, and made par. The Skeeter was amazing for 2nd shots, straight as an arrow, leading to gimme putts. I like putting 25 feet or less with the Shark, but nailed a 35 footer with the Skeeter. Maybe commonplace to you good disc golfers, but this presents a significant upgrade to my noob game.

I had trouble with putters when I first started, but trust me, you'll love when you can throw a putter straight 200-250. I would at least bring one with you when you play. Throw what you're comfortable with first, then try throwing a putter from the same spot. After a while you'll get more familiar with it, thus being more confident in using it.

Then why do I feel less tired after playing a round with minimal use of drivers? It seems to me anyway that I'm using less energy to get a mid to travel far. Maybe because I weight 225 lbs, and don't have a noodle arm it's easier to get the torque you're speaking of.

Go throw a Midrange 400 feet 10 times.
Now go throw a Distance driver 400 feet 10 times.

Now tell me which was easier.

BTW, no noodle arm here ;)

Latest posts