• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] ACE RACE 2010-- Anyone still chunkin' it?!?!?

Are you still throwin' the ACE RACE '10 discs?

• Total voters

TxDiscGolfBoy

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
First off, did this disc ever get a name, other than Ace Race '10? Read somewhere that it's been quoted on here that folks are callin' it the Hornet (I think Hornettt, 3 t's is cool personally).

ANYWAYS...

Is anyone still throwing it? Did you like it well enough that you're keepin' it in your bag?

My KC Rocs are out of the bag!!! OH NO!!!

I'm gonna give 'em a shot. I liked the discs a lot. Can be bombed (I believe my buddy got longest drive at 400 somethin' feet with one), have a lot of glide, and a super predictable fade with skip potential. I can only see this disc beating up to dead-nuts-str8 still with the ability to fight off flippyness and turn (at least for a long while).

I know there was a "let's talk about the discs thread", but -- correct me if I'm wrong -- are we not now, Post-Ace Race??? Everyone should have their discs and everyone can comment.

I have a fairly weak arm, so this was a meathook for me.
It is definitely meant for distance, but I can't use it.
I'll stick with my FT Roc for now.

I had one that was 167 and the other 175. 175 had a really nice hard fade, predictable none-the-less. The 167 the same, but was super glidy.

Just picked one up off a buddy. Only threw it a couple times, buy I actually liked it. I'll only use it on a regular basis if they produce it. I hate getting used to a disc that's rare or difficult to find....

It's a very interesting disc - the weight significantly affects the stability, so where it fits in a bag is going to completely depend not only on your arm but what weight you're throwing.

As for me - who throws mids 280-300' when throwing well (probably average 260-270' lately, been in a slump)- this disc is money in the mid 164-168 weight range. It's faster than most mids, but not quite fairway driver speed. It has predictable fade, and in my optimum weight range it can work a variety of different lines. The 170g+ weights are a totally different story, much more HSS. I played in 2 ace races, trying heavier ones the second time around and I never really got into a rhythm with them.

I think the lighter ones will stay in my bag for now, maybe I'll try to break in a heavier one against a wall or something and see if it becomes more managable.

I dig them. Predictable fade, nice glide, not TOO fast. However, im gonna test them out a bit more before replacing anything.

I have my 168 in my bag. It's my overstable mid that I know will come back. I have a big arm so I can handle it, but I do have a cryztal buzzz that does most of the heavy mid range work. I'll hold onto it though.

I can't decide. My overstable mid is a Drone, which also doubles as a forehand mid. I tried to FH the Ace race and it turned over every time...BH...it was decent...but I don't know if it will find a place...I'm trying to keep a small bag

My overstable mid is a Drone

This is me too. That being said, I've always wished for a longer Drone. I just cant get the drone to S turn thru trees, across a river, and hit the basket at 200' away. The Ace Race disc does this. It does it very well. So well, I have 3 near aces on 18 at the Z already. I know for sure, I will ace this hole, and the proto will be the disc that gets it done.

I am looking for a couple. have not thrown it yet but sounds like it will fit into the bag well. so...... if anyone has any they are getting rid of let me know!!

I'm trying to get a hold of one. I missed the Ace Race in my area. I'm not a fan of overstable mids, but I do like the Wasp and some have compared the Ace Race disc to the Wasp as a faster version.

I'm looking for any of these in "peach" color from 170-172 grams if anyone wants to get rid of one.

I picked "Yes I'm going to give them a shot" because I took them out for liek 3 or 4 rounds and played by myself throwing normal discs, and then using my ace race discs (A pro Leopard I had just bought and the Rhyno Putter I was trying out) I did like it well enough and could get some distance with it but I couldn't really replace it with my buzzz. It did a few things my buzzz couldn't but it couldn't do what my buzzz could better.

I'm trying to get a hold of one. I missed the Ace Race in my area. I'm not a fan of overstable mids, but I do like the Wasp and some have compared the Ace Race disc to the Wasp as a faster version.

It's not just a faster Wasp.. the Wasp is the closest equivalent to a Roc out there, and the Ace Race disc is definitely more overstable than the most overstable Roc molds (my Star San Marino Roc, for example, is less stable than the Ace Race disc). The Ace Race disc is definitely overstable, although not grossly. For me, it's definitely going to replace the spot my Roc had.. I carry both a Star Stingray (understable) and a Z Buzzz (slightly understable to stable) so I really wanted an overstable mid that was distinct-enough from a Buzzz or Roc, and the Ace Race disc is really excellent for it. It makes a great backhand disc for when you need a rock-solid predictable fade (even in the wind). I wouldn't recommend it as an anhyzer disc, however.. for me it just wasn't overstable enough (or perhaps it's too slow) to come out of the anhyzer the way I wanted it to.

my pal just signed ip for nov 7th ace race in the bay area/norcal...so there's a few discs left to be had

This disc seems to have two different speed settings. One you throwing slow or lower power, it is one of the most overstable discs you are ever going to see. Even my 145g and 155g are not affected by the wind. They are great approach discs if you have the room to the right (assuming rhbh) to swing them out and have them fade back in.

However, when you get them up to speed, a lot of the overstability is knocked out of the disc. Lighters more so than the heavies have the slightest turn but for the most part hold their straight line for 75-85 percent of the flight. While the fade is not drastic, sudden, or ditching it into the ground, it still does have a noticeable fade that is at least predictable.

The real bonus for me is the beadless rim. For me this means cleaner releases and less pain in the fingers when releasing during adverse and cold conditions.

As someone else was mentioning, this is not a Roc replacement. It fits perfectly between the Wasp and Drone, especially since the Drone does not come in ESP plastic. In fact, I do not see this disc doing well in other plastics because one of the charms of this disc can be its skip, something that is nullified in Z, FLX, X, and Pro D plastic. However, I could see a strong following from a Pro D version because when it beats in I bet it will retain much of its stability but lose enough to make it a straighter flier until its finish.

I would carry at least one (my 145g) if they ever get that darn thing approved.

I really like these disc! I have the 177+ the Ace Race 2010 did not bump and thing out of my bag. This disc is not a Roc, Buzzz or any thing else. Its a great mid with a silly amount of predictable fade and when it hits the ground it skips like a rock on the water. LOVE IT!:D

I've got a 174 Green if anybody's interested.

I can't decide. My overstable mid is a Drone, which also doubles as a forehand mid. I tried to FH the Ace race and it turned over every time...BH...it was decent...but I don't know if it will find a place...I'm trying to keep a small bag

I also had trouble forehanding it. It would fade for me most of the time. I think it's one of those under stable at high speed and over stable at low speed discs. Kind of like a mid range katana.