• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Ace Race 2010-Discraft Hornet

WillACarpenter

* Ace Member *
Today was my towns Ace Race, and we all had some fun. Now I'd like to talk about the discs, this thread will continue to be fun for a while as more ace races happen and new people chime in about their experiences.

So, What did you think?

I kind of agree with the faster Wasp statements...or maybe a slower stalker? Feels far more midrange like than fairway like....but I feel that many of the holes were too short for this disc.

This disc likes to be thrown with some snap...and at like 100' you need to either have a lot of snap and very little arm speed...or go for the high lines. I tried high lines and got REALLY close MANY times, hit metal once. 4 people had 1 ace each...and a guy on my card had 2 aces...he had success by getting extra snap from this forehand drives.

This disc does great things on a well executed line, it will turn over and fade back predictably, it holds a hyzer nice and you can put them up and over anything you can imagine. My one metal hit came from me throwing a roughly 120' hole with no good hyzer line on a HUUUUUUGGGGGEEEE spike hyzer...perhaps 70' or more in the air.

I couldn't throw a decent anny with this disc on ANY of the holes...because they were way too short. Many of the holes I'd have thrown an Ion at...and I'm not a huge putter throwing guy. In fact I played this course just last week (rare for me to play this place but my dad wanted to go there) and I was throwing today from many of my approach shots last week...places I threw an Ion/Voodoo/meteor/buzzz...and I'm supposed to throw a more stable faster mid?

Not really complaining as it was the same for everyone...just wasn't my normal style of playing the game.

So where does this disc fit for me? I'm calling it a shorter stalker for windier conditions maybe?

\/\/

I plan on throwing a thumber on alot of shots if it is going to be as stable as i presume it to be.

maybe some flex shot lines and some forehands.

This is good to know. I'm hosting an ace race next Saturday the 14th. now I know to set my holes a bit longer. Its also nice for us because I know just about everyone in it, and they are all high level players. So hopefully we can hit some REAL aces, from a good distance.

My thread is not good enough huh? ;)

I'll get to throw these bad boys the 14th as well. Sounds like a faster QSent by your testimonial, kinda neat. One guy in the other thread said the plastic felt like a blend of ESP and D, kinda chalky, and that the dome was poppy. Same with yours?

it feels like the less FLXish ESP the kind of plastic that feels...plasticy? IDFK not that chalky...though some of them were a BIT chalky. If I was thinking I would have grabbed a really light one...ended up playing with one after the event and they flew GREAT. I might recommend getting a heavy and a light.

Re: Overhead throws...they worked better for overheads than I expected them to, but this is a midrange profile disc...in face it's almost hard to tell the physical differences from a wasp at some angles.

if you like short hyzers, or long straight shots that fade...this will be a lot of fun for you...I had a lot of fun on those holes.

My group started at hole 1, so we ended for the day on hole 18. Knowing that 1 ace could not win I decided to throw a roller...basket is on a hill. I rolled up and over the hill, just missing the metal hit. Works great for a control roller!

\/\/

I played last Saturday AUG 7 at Creek Side,i thought they performed great.got a light and a heavy weight. many very close [of cource a few of what the he** was that shots] they were just fun to use. Ill keep one in my bag for a while.

What I'm wondering is, how can this not be called a fairway driver? Eventhough "fairway driver" or "tweener mids" or whatever, are kinda arbitrary terms to begin with, with no official standards for defining the catagories, it seems like people just want to say this is a pure mid.

I don't think it is. I don't know the specs on this disc, other than just looking at it and having thrown it.

But, I promise you, if you took some players out who have never thrown the Cyclone, and made some ESP Cyclones with the Ace Race stamp on it, and then also gave them this years AceRace disc, that people might call the Cyclone a mid more than the AceRace disc.

This disc feels a little smaller in diameter than the Cyclone, and definately smaller than a wasp, drone, buzzz, meteor, or many other Discraft mids.

It's definately faster than the mids I just listed, and probably at least as fast as a Cyclone, though the overstabilty of it compared to the Cylcone kinda makes it harder to judge. I do have to throw it harder to get it up to speed than the Cyclone, but some of that may just be that it's more HSS and LSS stable than the Cyclone.

I personally feel that it's just as fast as a Stalker, which is not really that fast of a driver to begin with. The Stalker is easier to throw because of less stability, but the Stalker can't be much faster than the AceRace disc, if it is at all.

I took out my Cyclone 2, X2, and a few other old stable/overstable drivers (like EXP, banshee, talon, reaper), and found that it's closer to an X2 or Cyclone 2, but def not as stable (or at least HSS) as the X2, and has more glide. It's pretty close to the Cyclone 2, but still a little glider than my fresh Cyclone 2, my beat in Cyclone 2 that I have was kinda warped, so I can't accurately judge from that.

But, now that mids are getting longer and faster (meteor, mako etc), and more tweener discs are coming out, especially from Discraft (glide, impact, squall, etc), I guess this disc will probably fit in this catagory.

I don't see it as a mid, but I'm open to what others have to say. But, any mid I think of, I just add the specifier "faster" or "longer" (ie "longer wasp, "faster less stable drone" ). So if it's faster than the mids discraft has, and it's smaller diameter, and shaped similiar to a cyclone, how can it not be at least considered a driver?

It's probably irrelevant anyway, as it's plastic, and you throw it, if it flies good for you, then keep throwing it.

Any way to get a polling question on this thread? I would recommend "After throwing the disc, does it make it in your bag?" 1) Yes 2) Maybe, need to throw it some more to see, 3) No, liked the disc, but have other discs that cover the need 4) No, did not like the disc

I have now been in two Ace Races this year.
The first followed Discraft recommendations and placed the holes at 150'+
The second catered a LOT to the families in the crowd and lined up about half the holes at ~125' or less.
I preferred the short holes for the fun factor, but a lot of the people with the heavier disc had a lot of problem keeping the disc straight if there was any "tunnel" or obstacle.
The heavier discs were noticeably more overstable than the lighter ones.
At each Ace Race, I got a light one (~153) and a heavy one (~173). I ended up using the light one and made a few aces. My tactic was to draw a slight flex on anything over about 100' and let it fly into the basket. Anytime I had room, I would hyzer it. A lot of people has success using a flick and some were using overhands quite well.
I didn't notice any chalky ones.
As far as the disc goes, it flew very similar to a Star Sanny Roc and even felt very familiar in my hand. It has a lot of glide, so throw LLOOWW or it will sail.

I couldn't throw a decent anny with this disc on ANY of the holes...because they were way too short.

This was my impression of the disc, too. It had excellent stability and fade for backhand hyzers, but it left a lot to be desired for an anhyzer disc. It would consistently hold the anhyzer line for longer than I expected for an overstable disc, and I would often overshoot the target to the left (throwing LHBH) instead of getting the disc to fade back out of the anhyzer line.

The disc itself is like a very-slightly modified Buzzz. The same diameter, rim depth, and rim thickness, but with an extra lip on the underside of the flight plate and another smaller lip on the bottom rim (less than a Roc has, though) It's not in my bag now, but I could theoretically see uses for it.. it could be a great midrange for backhands into a headwind.

I got one in 168 and one in 163. I went out today because I missed the actually ace race. I played a round with just my ace race discs and a leopard(new and haven't really used it) and used my Buzzz'/Meteor and Cyclones. I got about the same lines with the ace race discs, but I need to find a few things if I am going to keep it in my bag. I will probably ditch the light weight one and keep the heavier one.

Also have they named this disc yet?

How does the scoring in the ace race go, is it like aces are always > metal, or 3 metal hits = 1 ace, or what? I'm thinking of entering the one in Normal IL in september

How does the scoring in the ace race go, is it like aces are always > metal, or 3 metal hits = 1 ace, or what? I'm thinking of entering the one in Normal IL in september

I am pretty sure metals are only for if you tie on aces.

I think there may not be one consistent set of rules for it. At the local Ace Race, each ace counted as five points and each metal hit (including the flag on top of the basket) counted as one. Most baskets were also at least 200ft. out.. only a few were in the 150-180ft. range.

I'd say it's up to the TD, but mine last year was Aces beat everything with metal for tiebreaker.

Discraft has set rules for it

Rules Of Play:
The player with the most aces after 36 holes is declared the winner. In case of ties, the number of metal hits is used as a tie breaker. If a tie persists, a closest to the pin contest is then used to determine the event winner.

http://discgolfacerace.com/

Any one ace trumps any number of metals. Thats how I ran it.

Latest posts