• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Advantages of same mold vs. variety?

It just doesn't make sense to me to replace the disc once it flies like it should. Nine times out of ten, once a disc changes, it hits its sweet spot which generally is closer to its given flight numbers. It also stays sweet spot a lot longer than it does going from new to sweet spot.

Come on, Aim. No other disc flies like any other beat in mold either. :rolleyes:

It took me a long time to find the molds I liked, but I prefer fewer molds.....no matter the shot, the discs all feel exactly the same, and, if I've got a good cycle going, I've likely thrown the discs thousands of times in all conditions so I know exactly what to expect from the disc.

I love they way you explained this, that's exactly the reason i do it.. if you throw that same feeling disc thousands of times and you KNOW the pattern it flies in different stages of wear, you're going to throw that disc more consistently and be more confident in what its going to do after you release it.

The main reason that I like to carry multiple discs in the same mold is not only because they feel the same, but because I'm able to stick it out for the life of the disc, and know what the disc wants to do in the air. You can always buy a new disc in hopes it fits a spot in your bag, then hope that once that disc starts flying different than when fresh, you are able to buy another one that flies exactly the same... On top of doing this for every slot (putter, mid, fairway, driver, OS, stable, US). I prefer to find a stable to overstable disc and work those in and learn how they like to fly as they get more use... I like to grow with my discs if you will. Only bad part about this is I tend to get attachments to my discs, and losing one is quite a bit more irritating.

You could always get a pro destroyer during the meantime. Or hunt plh and have different.t destroyers with different stability that you get to know and evolve over time. You don't have to try and throw stuff at trees . Best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Along with all the great reasons other guys have listed as to why people like to minimize molds, it's also pretty cost effective. You get the most bang for your buck when you are able to get 3 or more years out of a disc.

I like the way beat in stable discs fly rather than discs that are understable out of the box. I also like the consistency of having the same mold in my hand for most shots at a certain distance. You can be a great player either way, especially with the explosion of available molds in the last several years, it's just a preference thing at this point.

Call me strange but i like to have differant molds. I carry about 12 disks and like the differant feel to remind me of how to though a shot. I just hate to loose a disk that is been beat to ireplacable.

Losing a seasoned disc stinks but oh well. Something else to think about is an understable disc out of the box beats in to be unpredictable while a stable neutral one beats to understable. The more worn a disc the slower it wears, so the broken in stable disc will stay in the desired sweet spot longer than one that starts there.

I like throwing anyting and everything, and beings I dont make a living at DG, I can and will throw any piece of crap I pull out of the lake, and when I lose it, oh well. A well seasoned Roc flys nothing like the numbers, so if you play by the numbers go with new or premium plastic. If you like to stick with one mold, pick one thats gonna stick around. If you wanna make a living at this, dont take my advice !!!