• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice handling being the best player in town (not bragging about my "skills"

I had the same problem for a little while in town. For the first few months of our re-started up club I was taking home the #1 tag and the side-bets almost 3/4 of the time. So much so that I would get sarcastic 'booo's from my friends as I went up to get my tag. I didn't take it seriously, sometimes I would even boo with them because I knew they were joking. Just gotta roll with the punches, and not let haters get you down.

I am by far the best player in our town

32629_511588535543522_329223904_n.jpg

Where did I ever say "I'm kind of a big deal"?

Once again: I am far from a great player. I wouldn't even call myself good. I'm sure that almost everyone on this forum would beat me if we played. But the reality is, I am winning most games by at least 15+ strokes because I am the only one with any experience whatsoever. No, that doesn't stir some sort of lame ass pride in me. What I AM proud of us that I have gotten a course built and I am getting people playing disc golf in a town that had never even really heard of it. I really don't care about winning all the time (I would be much more comfortable if I wasn't), and I am afraid that it might hurt the new league. Why would I ignore reality instead of trying to be proactive?

Just don't worry about it. I always hand out discs to new people, offer to give lessons to anyone who asks, and go out of my way to be as friendly as possible. If you're that much better than the people around your town, you're going to beat them, just make sure to do it humbly. If there are some locals who really take to it and start practicing daily, it won't take long before they start closing the gap.

Just don't worry about it. I always hand out discs to new people, offer to give lessons to anyone who asks, and go out of my way to be as friendly as possible. If you're that much better than the people around your town, you're going to beat them, just make sure to do it humbly. If there are some locals who really take to it and start practicing daily, it won't take long before they start closing the gap.

lol at that. the internet is crazy.

Ok, so here is my advice. I can tell your goal is not to make money off these guys. So do what I do. Cause I'm the greatest. I started the league in town, two years ago. The first year, I had the #1 tag all year, defended it 50 or more times and lost it 3 times. During events, random doubles is what we did, what that turned into was, "I'm not on your team, looks like I won't win this week, AGAIN." "I feel like you started this league so you could pay your bills with my money." During sign-up for tournaments "Here is five for someone to win something and five for you, you can just put that in your pocket." Even though every time I won cash I would visibly show and announce my winnings being donated to the basket fund. I'll just say we got 5 new baskets that year. Tid-bit, two of them were purchased by the league and three from local business sponsorship. I won the top tag and took home the golden trophy. Which I was given a hard time about as well.

The second year, I still held #1 a lot but I lost it a few more times and not because of bad play, they beat me. Then doubles became, "If two of you four get paired in doubles the rest of us are screwed." because a few more guys were stepping up their game. I did not take home the trophy in 2012.
In a way, it was a blessing, I wasn't playing great but the winner was.

This year is going to be a curve ball of events... maybe I should call it the Halex of events. Random Dubs, Stacked Dubs, Pick Dubs, Ript Revenge, Mulligan Stew, Ace Race, Singles, Bag Swap Pick Dubs, Handicap Singles, Handicap Dubs, 4 tournaments (18 hole, 36 hole, 27 hole, 27 hole), Bag tags, 3 different courses, Scavenger hunt of disc golf (i.e. Score a 0, -1, -2, -3, -4,-5, -6, -7, -8, -9 in 9 holes, Hit a tree and save a birdie, par, Ace Hole 1,2,3...9, Long Tee Ace 1-9 as you achieve these you mark them off on your scavenger hunt sheet. Must be witnessed and initialed by witness. This year our goal is to raise $1000 to go towards tee pads.

We are also paying out to everyone. 6 people - $18 Dubs 1st 5-5 2nd 3-3 3rd 1-1

Every time you win, take back your entrance fee and donate the rest. If you decide you want to take the cash from a win from time to time, don't feel bad about getting a little back. Running a league is hard work and not free. I know I spend around $200 a year for the league that I just pay out of pocket because they are things that make my work easier or little things like marker flags and golf pencils, notebooks, etc. It adds up.

Maybe take a few league days and do a practice clinic. Everyone's homework is to study up on the types of shots they want to improve on and next week we'll spend some time trying to apply those things and share what we have read or watched. No actual round played, just working on technique, form and accuracy. This can give people a reason to practice and study up about the basics if DG. In turn the level of play will increase around you.

Then you can start giving the better other guy a hard time, tis the cycle of life.

Any thoughts to adding in a random doubles event maybe every other week? or once a month? If the situation is as you described, a constant string of singles rounds might make some lose interest if the results stay consistent each week. Might be fun to break it up and do random doubles best shot, give some others a shot at the top spot for a week.

Honestly this will solve all of your problems, if you indeed do have problems. You are virtually guaranteed not to win every week.

Just use your power for good, not evil. Watch more Spider-Man than Batman movies. Ironman is pretty good. X-Men would be even better because you could learn the value of having a good team behind you.

I have a similar situation with our league. We started up as a friends league where it was more of a social gathering than anything else. I, however, took it seriously and was above and beyond everyone else in this league. However, compared to the other local players, at best I was a middle of the road intermediate.

Our league is going into our seventh season and I have won it five out of the six times already. The one year I did not win was because I accidentally scheduled our year end event on the same day as my son's birthday.

To make sure the league is competitive and still fun, the league is not run by just me, but three individuals. The number makes it great so that we always have a tie-breaker on decisions while also showing that it is not about just one guy. Since it is a friendly league, the emphasis is not on prizes. We have some nice money pots at the end, but the league champion only gets a giant trophy that is brought back each year. When money is involved, we only award the top three, but second place takes almost as much as first place.

What we do to keep everyone interested all the way to the end is that during that final year end round, each group is divided up based upon their final standings. From there, each winner of each group gets something. There is always the ace pool, but we track CTPs throughout the year as well, and the person with the most CTPs wins something. We have a good in the group where he plays decent, but inconsistently. However, when it matters most, he knows how to park a disc and win that CTP. The most important thing we do is to play for skins; that way at most you can only gain one skin on your group and therefore at worst can only fall behind by one skin per hole (we do not carry over) no matter how badly you are playing.

What I have done personally is to ignore all the points, scores, and whatnot and just play. I hate holding the scorecard and I never ask how I am doing. This group almost always concedes that I am going to win most of the time and therefore finds a way to make a joke out of it. For instance, I play considerably worse when I bring my children to the course with me. The running joke now is that if you want to beat me, make sure I have my kids around.

Yesterday was our first official league event of the year. We played at Kenwood Trails, longs to longs, that has a wonderful mix of short and technical and wide open shots. Going into Hole 11, our scorecard had me with 2 skins which tied someone else at 2, a third player had 1 skin, and the fourth was sitting at 0. From that point I just clicked and rolled off 8 straight skins for a total of 10 skins. When a skin is won, usually people just picked up since there is no need to complete the hole. If we would have tracked strokes, I would likely have been just under par with everyone else sitting 15 over or worse. At the end of the day, since I won the group, I received 4 points, second had 3, third 2, and fourth gets 1 point for just playing. By no means did I clobber anyone because of how we run points.

Obviously this point difference starts out small but it does add up as the year goes along. For the first few years, I was by far running away with it by the end of the season. But everyone, as we brought in new people, as the core group gets better and better, the competition is getting stiffer. And that is a wonderful thing because we are all friends and know each other really well. Last year I and the top contender were going into Hole 18 of our final round with me only one skin ahead. All I needed to do was putt in for a 3 to win. I dinked the putt on one I should have made; I was even jokingly teased for purposely throwing the putt away. We played a sudden death hole where I eventually come out on top. I was also tied with this individual for the most CTPs for the year and 100+ dollars was on the line (to be split 45/35/20). So we played off for that. We had a rule that you can only win a CTP if you are within 30 feet of the basket. On our first CTP hole, I shanked it completely. He, however, put it at 30 feet and 1 inch. With a measuring wheel, we measured it three times to be fair. On the next CTP hole, I placed it under the basket while he drove his into the next county.

The competition is catching up with me. As of now, I am a fairly decent advanced player. So that speaks a lot to all those within our league and how much they have improved as well. Final story; during our road trip last year we played an NCAA style bracket tournament. Each pairing played four holes to determine a winner, and if you won, you moved onto the next opponent on the bracket. Before we started, we seeded everyone based upon how many points that had in our season. We had a prize for the person who won the tournament and the person who filled out the bracket the best. I busted a lot of people's brackets when I lost in the second round because of poor putting.

Basically, be patient, be friendly, and go out of your way to make it look like you are in it for the enjoyment of everyone's company. Play your game and let it take care of itself.

^^^

I have never heard of the idea of a skins league, but I really like that. How do you end up making the cards? I think that it would make sense that the first week would be random and then each week after the cards would be arranged by your standings. This way I don't think anyone could really pull ahead as everyone should be competing against people around the same standings.

I would like to try some of these suggestions and get my local club moving again, whether that be through more random doubles or a handicap series. I wasn't a part of the club's creation, and there is still an "old boys" mentality to the group, even as it dwindles and the original founders and officers when they started are hanging on to their old glory by the threads. So I've had trouble breaking their ice.

That being said, anyone have any good resources on handicapping? I'm running off to lunch and just don't feel like searching, so don't flame me - just make a suggestion. :)

^^^

I have never heard of the idea of a skins league, but I really like that. How do you end up making the cards? I think that it would make sense that the first week would be random and then each week after the cards would be arranged by your standings. This way I don't think anyone could really pull ahead as everyone should be competing against people around the same standings.

As a league we only meet as a full league once a month. We also play a different course every month, that way we see a variety of holes throughout the season. No one person can have home-course advantage. This is when we play for skins in groups of four. The winner of each group gets 4 points, 3 points for second, 2 points for third, and 1 for showing up. There are no ties for first place, but you can tie all other places. If we had a three way tie for second, then all those players would get 3 points. We want to reward as many points as possible because ties happen all the time when you are playing skins.

What we do between league events is what really drives the standings. Each player is assigned three other players within the league in which they must have a head to head match. They can play anywhere and any time that is convenient for those two, just as long as their results are recorded before the next league event. You use traditional scoring here since it is only two players, but in the end you get 3 points if you win, 2 points for the loser for at least showing up. Scoring differential does not matter; just winners and losers.

In a best case scenario versus worst, if I won all three of my matches that month, I would be awarded 9 points. If I turn around and win my group at the event, I will receive 4 more points for a total of 13 for the month. If another player loses all his or her matches for the month and then finishes last in their group, they will receive 4 points for the month; so at least they are still getting something for being an active participant.

If another player who is not assigned to play me this month and is ranked low enough not to be in my group at the event wins all of his or her matches and then wins his or her group at the event, they would have earned 13 points as well. Likely, since they were not in my group, they shot considerably worse than I did; they just played better than their competition. This is as close as we can get to a handicap system without really having handicaps. Eventually those who were lowly ranked because of attendance issues or sandbagging will find their way up to the higher groups. As for assigned matches, they are not based upon rankings or ability, but are randomly assigned at the beginning of the season.

There is usually not a lot of movement in the top three once they have established themselves in the second month. Where we see movement is in those people who are either at the bottom of one group or the top of the group underneath; such as 4th place and 5th place or 8th and 9th or so on and so on. If a 4th ranked player comes in last in his or her group, they will have only received 1 point at the event. If the 5th place person wins his or her group (a group made up of 5th to 8th place people), he or she would have earned 4 points. That is usually enough to swap those two spots in the rankings because points are a premium.

Finally, after all those matches (usually 18 for the year) and league events, the standings are only used to determine which group you are in during the Year-End event. We have a rule that those ranked 1st through 3rd have a secure spot in the top group and those ranked 4th through 8th will playoff (usually only 4 holes so the day does not get too long) for the final spot in this lead group. Thus, if you are in the top 8 going into the final day, you have a chance to walk away as the champion even if there was a huge point differential between 1st and 8th starting the day. This is the incentive to play well, or at least well enough, and makes sure that no one, no matter how good they are, are guaranteed anything. I could easily have a bad day during that championship round. As I mentioned earlier, the others played well enough where I NEEDED to make a putt on the 18th hole to secure a win. The player I had to beat made an unbelievable recover shot from deep in the woods to land underneath the basket that was in the open field. I mean his back was facing the basket, he was stretch to the limit, and he still made the perfect 200 foot approach shot. I missed that putt and had to go to sudden death. I almost lost because of poor putting on my part and that he made enough good shots to have enough skins to push me at the end. His miracle shot was almost enough to win the event. It does not even matter that by strokes if we had been counting he would have been 6 or more behind at the time.

All that I ask is if some kid looks up to you with big hopeful eyes and pushes one of his discs and a Sharpie marker out in hopes you'll give him your autograph, please, please don't big league the kid, do the right thing, that's all I ask.

J/K : ) Sounds like you are trying to do the right thing, just keep playing, those who are competitive will bring their game up, those easily discouraged or ultra-casual will probably just fade out. Such is life, no biggie either way.