• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice on drivers

Bustecap

Par Member
Well with the warm weather coming into Wisconsin it looks like Ill get a chance to start this season early for once. Anyways I am a casual player going discing at max twice a week. I've been playing for 4 years now and after loosing my groove and wraith last year I need some new discs as using a sidewinder on all hill courses makes the game rough...

I am left handed and have a lil different throwing style than most ppl when it comes to throwing fore hand (I don't expect you to understand unless you are left handed just thought it was helpful information for those that are also LH.)

My hands are a bit larger than normal, so smaller rims like an orc are really hard for me to throw effectively, especially FH. I was throwing discs at the end of the last season around 310-320 ft.

I am not looking for discs will small rims or that are rollers like my sidewinder. I have little experience with other disc companies besides innova as that is what is sold locally here for the most part, so any recommendations from other disc companies try to give a bit more detail about the disc from experience.

I will be picking up 2-3 new distance drivers this spring so feel free to recommend more than 1.

Latitude 64 Flow...I love to FH this disc!

With your distances, this should be about the max speed you are going up to.

Maybe a GL RIver too.

If you are interested in more distance, check out Innova's new plastic, Blizzard, try out some super light Destroyers, Katanas, and Bosses.

if you just want super beefy with a huge wing buy a legacy rampage. if you want a huge rim but less stable get a 150 blizzard boss.

Just to clarify, you don't use anything under a speed 11?

Despite hand size, I would recommend learning to throw slower discs.

Id say pass on the bliz katana . That thing is no good

:confused:

I am noodle arm, and I have been hitting some super long drives with mine. I use my Wraith against the wind, and I use the Katana with the wind. Just release it on a hyzer, it flips up and goes forever.

I bought a few Katanas and they're sitting in a box. I tried a Lat 64 Havoc Gold Line. It has a wide rim, not as wide as a Katana but flies just as far. It's also great into the wind.

I'm a lefty that throws FH. Try a Discraft Flick. It can be very overstable, but with practice you can make a Flick do a lot of different things. A Pulse also from Discraft might work for you as well. From my experience another good choice from Discraft for a FH is a Flash. And although I have a noodle arm I get 325-350 from my Nukes.

Discing down of course is always the best advice. You'll improve your technique which will improve your distance and accuracy.

But if you're as hard headed as I am you'll go for the big gun drivers.

As a predominantly LHFH thrower, I'm not really sure what you mean about throwing differently. Discs aren't designed for right or left handed people. Your flights are the same as RHBH. Unless your Sidewinder is beat, I'd say your form needs work more than you need a new disc. It is an understable mold, but it's not a roller out of the box (especially in the distances you're throwing).

If you're not looking to improve your form, try a Force, Boss, Blitz, Rampage, or Nuke OS.

Welcome to the forums. Take a look inside the Technique section and see how it treats you.

Just to clarify, you don't use anything under a speed 11?

Despite hand size, I would recommend learning to throw slower discs.

^^^This

Unless your hands look like this....

ST-26-Big-Hands.jpg

Have you tried a Valkyrie yet? I recommend it in Star plastic. Definitely try a Teebird as well. If you're looking for speed 10+ drivers, at the range you're throwing, you'll benefit more from the Blizzard discs than regular weight discs, which will probably hyzer out on you at 300' range. Whatever you do, definitely do NOT buy another Groove. No two of them are alike, and you'll probably be disappointed.

Both the Rampage and Cannon from Legacy have wide rims. Check out a Flick like someone already said.

Have you tried a Valkyrie yet? I recommend it in Star plastic. Definitely try a Teebird as well. If you're looking for speed 10+ drivers, at the range you're throwing, you'll benefit more from the Blizzard discs than regular weight discs, which will probably hyzer out on you at 300' range. Whatever you do, definitely do NOT buy another Groove. No two of them are alike, and you'll probably be disappointed.

He has a Sidewinder.. The valk is very similar to it (as is the Beast). You can't have 2 of them in your bag unless your carrying 30+ discs. Too much overlap. I have all 3 and Sidewinder is in my little bag, Valk is my favorite driver of all time and is the go-to in my big bag. Beast is fantastic but again.. Too much overlap. I said the Teebird also, more people need to start saying Teebird. Very good driver.