• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Advice on Floating discs

SuperNovice58

Im looking to pick up a floating disc or two, as I play a couple of course frequently with alot of water.

The two I know of are the Hydra and the Blowfly

can anyone give any advice on these or others?

I just discovered the other thread, and its given me a better I dea on the different discs that float.

Id still appreciate advice on a good midrange floating disc

love my Dragon

I bought a Dragon two weeks ago based on the other thread on this topic.
Love it. Hooks to the left until you figure out how to give it a good snap. Averaging 30-50' farther than with my Roc, more with more experience.
Get one.

- nex :)

at our pro shop we have just about every floatining disc there is and iv thrown them all by far the hydra is the best as for the dragon its only a 149-150 gram disc so dosent make for a good mid range plus think of being out playn on a cold windy day and the wind taken that lil dragon and flipn it whatever way it wants. if you want a driver floater then try a Quest Double D makes a good flex tune float 400ft driver ... but as for mid range a hydra is the best throws the same everytime wont flip and makes a great midrange roller disc plus its only 8$.... hope that helps

I agree about the hydra. I havent thrown one yet, but I know several people who swear by them. Plus, cjl has a good point about wind smacking around a dragon. With the hydra, you get a stable, heavy disc that works for both windy and watery conditions. In the courses I play, often those two go hand in hand, and the wind always seems to blow toward the water, comprende? The bigger hte lake, the stronger the wind. The next midrange I lose will probably be replaced with a hydra for this reason, since I play in the Land of 10,000 lakes.

While losing a disc in the water sucks, trying to get it to shore becomes lame too. I once sat at an edge of a pond, throwing rocks to make waves to move my dragon because i knew that someone more crazy than i am would jump into the slime and muck to claim it.

I recomend the dragon simply because its so light and feels great to throw. Ive handled the hydra and to me it seems to bulky. The only thing i would complain about is that to me the dragon wears faster if you hit a tree. It seems to chip easier.

Your Welcome

I still think you owe me or something for getting that disc. That was some nasty stuff. Agreed, losing a disc is a terrible feeling.

I also have the dragon but it is hard to get used to it. Because it is so light, it is almost impossible to throw sidearm. Also it doesnt take as much power to throw which takes getting used to.

The original Dolphin is and will always be the best floating disc

If you need something to get your disc back out of the water, try building one of these. It only cost about $12 for the parts:

DiscRetriver5.jpg

DiscRetriver4.jpg

DiscRetriver2.jpg

DiscRetriver1.jpg

Midnightbiker,
Very creative....

What is the floating driver you use

I tried a #2 Lightning for a while , but it was too overstable. I prefer the Dragon myself. I have only had to use that device once. I loaned a guy a Dragon for a tournament, and he planted it in the water. It works well. I only put it in my bag when I am going to a course that has water.

Awesome invention Midnightbiker! Does the drag only work if you know right where the disc went in or does it work as a toss out and drag?

I also have the dragon but it is hard to get used to it. Because it is so light, it is almost impossible to throw sidearm. Also it doesnt take as much power to throw which takes getting used to.

I've seen the same things with the Dragon. The fact that they are all 150g also makes them nearly worthless throwing into the wind.

I have started to take a liking to the Double-D. It comes in much higher weights, and has been running surprisingly overstable for me, even more so than my Monster, which is quite a bit. I've actually starting experimenting with throwing the DD on the forehand because of this, with some success.

Double-D. It comes in much higher weights, and has been running surprisingly overstable for me, even more so than my Monster, which is quite a bit.
I'll second that. My Double-D is super overstable.

I'm with midnightbiker on this one. I started out with the Lightning #2 driver but found it way too overstable for me. If I had to go straight over a lake, sometimes it would end up on the shore to the left (RHBH) instead of getting some nice straight distance. I will have to try the dragon, next time I've got the money to buy a new disc.

I'm with midnightbiker on this one. I started out with the Lightning #2 driver but found it way too overstable for me. If I had to go straight over a lake, sometimes it would end up on the shore to the left (RHBH) instead of getting some nice straight distance. I will have to try the dragon, next time I've got the money to buy a new disc.

Go to this link and make a thread that you are looking for a Dragon. You will get a great deal on one.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

Floating wahoo is nice- other than that though most of the floating discs are filled with tiny helium bubbles (or nitrogen) and the helium is known to cause major stability with the leading edge being lifted by it and stabilizing the disc- Picture a plane with one wing filled with helium.