• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aggregate vs Sudden Death playoff

Audible Vibration

Birdie Member
While watching the Next Gen coverage on Smashboxxx, there was a playoff during one of the rounds (no spoilers) and Feldbeef described it as an "aggregate" playoff where a certain number of holes would be played, such as 2 or 3, regardless of scoring on the first hole. If still tied after the set number of holes, it then goes in to sudden death playoff. I think of it as comparing college footballs overtime rules to NFL's older overtime rules.

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on that format. In this example, there would have been a different result if it would have been a sudden death format. I, for one, like this format as a spectator. It sucks when there is all this build up to a dramatic playoff, and then the first person throws OB right away.

I don't mind sudden death. If the best I could do was to tie after 18 or 36 or 54 holes of play, then whatever ill befalls me in the playoff is my own fault. I could have made one more putt, or not spaced one more shot earlier in the event to avoid this.

If it's a run of the mill B or C tier, sudden death and let's gtfo.

If it's a big A tier or NT or something, I like the idea of aggregate. Then you are tested mentally the same way you are during a round: you got a stroke lead after hole 1; how do you handle it? How much more aggressive is your opponent, etc. There's a whole other level of intrigue then. Not to mention that sudden death is then even MORE exciting if they had to play 3 holes to get there.

Golf uses different formats throughout the year.

Masters - Sudden Death
US open - 18 hole total score(aggregate), then sudden death if needed
British Open - sudden death
PGA Championships - 3 hole total score (aggregate), then sudden death if needed

All PGA events use Sudden death except for I think one (The Players?).

Aggregate is a much more fair way of doing playoffs, especially in disc golf when something like a spit out can happen. I've seen them in playoffs and is awful. However PDGA rules require sudden death in all cases.

I think sudden death is exciting, but may not always show who the best player is.

Agree fully. But if I want 'best' I can run the stats. It's fun to see the people who can handle the pressure.

this. the "best" player winning can be less interesting than a "good" player rising to the pressure. THAT'S what sport is about IMHO.....

New official rule for 2018 is flex start events do not need to play off first place ties and prizes can be split since many times the tied players will not finish at the same time. This has been the unofficial policy since DD started running several 1-round events like this.

I think a fairer and maybe even more exciting sudden death system for our higher tier events would be our version of "win by two" like several other sports. Tied golfers would have to win by at least two shots or hold a 1-shot lead for a second hole. For example, if Player A wins the first hole by two throws, they win the playoff right then. However, if Player A wins the first playoff hole by 1 throw, Player B MUST win the next hole by 1 or more throws to continue playoff. If A & B tie or B loses the hole, Player A wins playoff for holding the 1-throw lead thru the second hole.

Keep it simple. No need for convaluted playoff set-ups. Sudden death works just fine, and for nearly all tournaments, it fits into the time frame needed.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of tournaments are pro-am, multi-divisional affairs. While some might get excited enough about an MPO playoff to want an extended format to prolong/increase the drama, it's much more likely that a playoff will be needed for a division other than MPO. Are people as excited to watch or even just wait around for the end of a playoff for first place in MA2? OR FG1? Or MJ3? Keep it short, keep it simple, break the tie and move on with the day.

Though I generally agree with sudden-death, one benefit of a 3-hole aggregate is reducing the effect of a hole that favors one player over another.

Ideally the TD will have chosen to start sudden death on fairly neutral holes, but some places that's not possible. Not such an issue for MPO---they are pretty skilled at all shots---as for some other divisions. And it's not just left/right, but can be length or how "technical" the hole is.

Keep it simple. No need for convaluted playoff set-ups. Sudden death works just fine, and for nearly all tournaments, it fits into the time frame needed.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of tournaments are pro-am, multi-divisional affairs. While some might get excited enough about an MPO playoff to want an extended format to prolong/increase the drama, it's much more likely that a playoff will be needed for a division other than MPO. Are people as excited to watch or even just wait around for the end of a playoff for first place in MA2? OR FG1? Or MJ3? Keep it short, keep it simple, break the tie and move on with the day.
From a practical standpoint, unless there's a traveling trophy involved, I'd be for no first place playoffs and split the prizes in B & C-tiers regardless of division. Theoretically, it's you against the course, not the other players. If two or three of you shoot the same scores against the course, you simply tied. If there are trophies involved, let the players figure out how they want to determine who gets what trophy, maybe a simple 2-throw CTP.

I'm not engaging in a competition to wind up in a tie. I once lost a 7-hole playoff in an insignificant amateur geezer division.....but I'd much rather have that scar, than an unsatisfying tie. Yuck.

Sudden death playoffs are the highest drama available in dg currently. Just calling it a tie is LAME. While LAME is not a quantifiable facet of play I know it when I see it.

If it's a run of the mill B or C tier, sudden death and let's gtfo.

If it's a big A tier or NT or something, I like the idea of aggregate. Then you are tested mentally the same way you are during a round: you got a stroke lead after hole 1; how do you handle it? How much more aggressive is your opponent, etc. There's a whole other level of intrigue then. Not to mention that sudden death is then even MORE exciting if they had to play 3 holes to get there.

This.

For the C-Tier I run, I am ready to wrap it up. If there is a tie, break it with sudden death and wrap it up. You had 36+ holes prior to "make it fair" and get a chance to take the solo win.

For the larger events, with more on the line, I could see the argument for other options.

Aggregate

I have never played Aggregate. But sounds like i would prefer aggregate. the first playoff i played i lost. I lost on a hole that heavily favored the other guy's strengths.

An aggregate playoff would be more fair, but at most events, everyone not in a first place tie probably would like to get on the road, so sudden death it is.

Overtime should be designed to decide a winner in the fastest way possible through a method that still functions like normal game play. So sudden death is fine. What college football does is an abomination.

But, if 2 players end up tied after multiple rounds the most accurate decision would be to declare them to be equals. What's wrong with a tie?

New official rule for 2018 is flex start events do not need to play off first place ties and prizes can be split since many times the tied players will not finish at the same time. This has been the unofficial policy since DD started running several 1-round events like this.

I think a fairer and maybe even more exciting sudden death system for our higher tier events would be our version of "win by two" like several other sports. Tied golfers would have to win by at least two shots or hold a 1-shot lead for a second hole. For example, if Player A wins the first hole by two throws, they win the playoff right then. However, if Player A wins the first playoff hole by 1 throw, Player B MUST win the next hole by 1 or more throws to continue playoff. If A & B tie or B loses the hole, Player A wins playoff for holding the 1-throw lead thru the second hole.

I think for an A tier that'd be pretty cool. I like that idea. Shouldn't take much longer than the typical sudden death - maybe one or two more holes at the most.

Latest posts