• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playoff holes

You remembered that? It's been a while since I posted that story, but boy oh boy, did I learn a lesson about asking the TD to clarify during player meetings. I may be the only guy to be called "out-of bounds" and the disc is literally 6 inches from the pole.

I suppose the underlying issue in your OP and the OB story is fairness.

One way to determine fairness is to ask if the TD would make the same ruling if asked in the player meeting and after an incident occurred during play. "We've always done it that way" is a reasonable argument that the TD's decision was fair.

Another way (better, IMO) to establish fairness is for the TD to assure that before start of play all players have a reasonable opportunity to be aware of tournament-unique rules and procedures not covered in the PDGA Rules and Competition publications.

I understand you are willing to take on the burden of discovering tournament-unique rules and procedures; but the reason I remember your story is because I don't think that's a fair burden for the players.

Good point. I've been lobbying for the tour standards to stop allowing TDs to play in their own events for a couple of years.

Additionally, in my time playing this game, 20+ years - 9 of 10 TDs play in their events.

What you are advocating for, IMO, is punishing these volunteers. Please stop.