• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Warriors Path (Kingsport, Tenn.)

Cerealman

Diamond Trusted Reviewer | Twin dad | Cereal fan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Hey DGCR community,

What would be the best way to update the Warriors Path State Park course in Kingsport, Tenn. on DGCR?

The 27-hole course recently added nine more holes and designer Tim Barr designated the 36 holes as two 18-hole loops, renaming them Cliffside (which includes the original #4-12, plus all nine new holes) and Lakefront (the original #1-3 and the original #13-27).

I asked TimG. He seemed open to either option.

A: Change the existing course to Lakefront and make a new one for Cliffside.
B: Create two new course pages for a fresh start on both.

Haha, so they couldn't eliminate that walk from #1 to #2? Too bad. :doh:

Since it is essentially a renumbering of the existing holes for the Lakeside course, and the new holes are for the Cliffside course, I'd say Option A.

But, if we Extinct the existing course, and make two new pages, that's two new courses to bag! :thmbup: Baggers gonna bag!!

Haha, so they couldn't eliminate that walk from #1 to #2? Too bad.

Nope. Haha. I'll have to find the old map that Tim Barr posted of the Warriors Path course from 30 years ago. It included a couple of holes in between the now-#1 and #2 of the Lakeside course. Those holes were scraped and the walk between lengthened to make room for the children's playground area (which my twin daughters loved last year when we lived near Warriors Path).

if we Extinct the existing course, and make two new pages, that's two new courses to bag! :thmbup: Baggers gonna bag!!

I thought of that! That idea felt a bit dirty. For a half-second. :)

Wow, the course has changed a lot. I guess that's not uncommon for a course this old.

It looks like #23 on that map is now #27, the "Tunnel of Rock" is a cool way to finish a course!

Good luck breaking in those new holes!!

I like A. I does contain all old course holes and the current info would mostly apply.
My exact thoughts, and precisely what I told Tim to do when Kensington Black Locust expanded from 27 to 36 holes.

If when playing Lakefront, you don't play any holes that weren't part of the original, then you haven't played a new course.

It looks like #23 on that map is now #27, the "Tunnel of Rock" is a cool way to finish a course!

The Tunnel of Rock (or as I call it, the canyon hole) wasn't on that early 1990s map. The Tunnel of Rock was added later in the woods to the right of what that map has listed as #23. That #23 is/was sometimes in the short (210 feet, straight up the hill) or in the ridiculously long position (seen there).

I'll post the new Lakefront map once I update/create the WP course pages. Thankfully, they've re-routed the navigation and the Tunnel of Rock is the finisher, #18, on the Lakefront course. :)

I played this course about 20 years ago right after I started playing and loved it. Good to see it's still there. Living in Texas I don't know if I'll ever make it that way again but have great memories of it. A friend and I drove from Dallas to Asheville for a music festival and we played courses the whole way there and back. Texarkana, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Asheville, Warriors Path SP, maybe more.

I played this course about 20 years ago right after I started playing and loved it. Good to see it's still there.

That's awesome! Not only still there but is now 36 holes. Warriors Path is in my Top 10 favorite courses to play. :)

Latest posts