• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Lofty Golf" Producing DG Par & Putting Challenges?

Cgkdisc

.:Hall of Fame Member:.
Imagine we're back a few hundred years ago before golf had the nicely mowed greens of today. Having a chance to hole out within say 40 feet of the hole required the use of lofted clubs and a chip shot that likely bounced to its landing position if not in the hole. Even positions within 7 feet of the hole might require the ball to leave the ground unless you were fortunate to have sheep or goats trim those areas to get some roll.

It took until the middle of the last century before putters were being designed with a "loft" less than 8 degrees, like the revolutionary Ping putter in 1959, when greens were getting cut short and groomed well enough even on public courses. It wasn't until this transition early last century when players could start relying on their knowledge of the greens and how the ball would roll to where "putting" on greens really became a separate skill and game element from simply lofting the ball with a variety of clubs to get to the hole.

It seems like disc golf game play is more like this early golf game with mostly lofted shots, driving and chipping until holing out, versus the current golf game where putting uses separate equipment, skills and rolls along the ground. In other words, disc golf hasn't really developed a unique putting theater separate from simply making long throws, upshots, short throws and drop-ins. C1 and C2 could stand for Chip 1 and Chip 2. Inside the 10 meter circle may affect your foot movement but we're still throwing from there.

I'm not suggesting that disc golf needs to or might want to develop a unique putting theater of some sort. I'm not even sure what that might look like although some ideas have been suggested. My point in this thought exercise is providing one explanation why disc golf has been challenged setting par in a manner similar to the golf rule-of-thumb (shots to the green plus 2 putts). It's because we don't yet have a well defined putting theater requiring sufficiently different skills and equipment from what we already use to get close to the basket.

Some designers, TDs and promoters are disappointed when they see pros winning with scores double digits under par and try to make "putting" tougher with punitive OB like island greens. It doesn't make our "chip throws" any tougher, just perhaps more loft will be helpful. Using smaller baskets might reduce scores under par where "chip throws" hole out less frequently. But it wouldn't really create a unique putting theater, just less excitement with a higher percentage of "down in 2's" from chipping range.

Do we really need to create a unique putting theater? Requiring new skills will likely be frustrating and equipment is expensive. I suspect whatever ideas are proposed could be even less fun for players than how many currently feel about putting. Those are tough barriers to overcome.

The game as it has been before adding all of the temp OB for top tier events provided enough scoring separation to determine winners without needing a playoff very often and rarely more than two tied for first. From a spectator standpoint, do we really want more separation than necessary? Tighter separation provides more potential drama for more players to rally and come back and produce playoffs more frequently. If anything we should look at ways to keep scores close but provide scoring separation. That might warp our perspectives on setting par even more such that some new metric might be more effective for tracking live performance while still tracking over/under par scores in parallel.

Last edited:
Don't worry about what par is. Driving accuracy should be the focus for creating scoring separation.

Disc golf > ball golf....

Nice thought experiment but last time I played golf I hated it. Conversely, I always enjoy my disc golf rounds so any differences between the 2 games are probably a good thing.

Putting in disc golf is boring; it is way too easy. I am a rec player, and even I assume that inside 16 feet, my putts are a gimme.

Just make it where if it is inside circle 1, add 1 to the score and move on.

That or make it worth my time to watch a pro putt.

Allow defense.

HELL YES.

BASEketball style psych outs are exactly what DG needs!

Steeeeve Perry!!

Putting in disc golf is boring; it is way too easy. I am a rec player, and even I assume that inside 16 feet, my putts are a gimme.

Why do you even play? I wouldn't want to play this game if I didn't enjoy putting. Really, it's the most enjoyable part because that's when the disc actually goes in the basket.

Also, if you are really 100% from 16', you shouldn't be in rec anymore. Rec players miss from 15' all the time.

Last edited:

Go play a tournament in a higher division and let us know how that 100% accuracy is on 16 footers.

Go play a tournament in a higher division and let us know how that 100% accuracy is on 16 footers.

I don't play in tournaments at all. When I say I am a rec player, I mean I play to relax after a crazy day at the office.

Yes, I know that stress makes fine motor control harder and I am sure I would not do as well in a high pressure tournament.

Last edited:
My point in this thought exercise is providing one explanation why disc golf has been challenged setting par in a manner similar to the golf rule-of-thumb (shots to the green plus 2 putts).

That makes as little sense as providing one explanation why disc golf has been challenged taking all the trees out of the way in a manner similar to the golf fairway design rule-of-thumb.

I don't think we can create a unique putting theater, to the degree that golf has one. Golf balls travel in the air to the green, on the ground once there, and the equipment becomes significantly different. I'm not sure anything could replicate that in disc golf (let alone whether it would be something we want).

My point in this thought exercise is providing one explanation why disc golf has been challenged setting par in a manner similar to the golf rule-of-thumb (shots to the green plus 2 putts).

Disc golf hasn't been challenged setting par. Par is not difficult to set.

Disc golf hasn't been challenged setting par. Par is not difficult to set.
I think he means the "+2" in the "strokes to the green +2" part of the equation. There are holes in disc golf where if you score a three, you screwed something up. Those should be par 2's, except then you create holes you can't birdie and people HATE that. As a result, you end up (at least at the higher levels of play) with some giveaway birdies that drive you to the double-digit under par scores we see that you don't see in ball golf. The perception has always been that it makes us look bad and gives the potential viewing public the perception that disc golf is easier than ball golf.

NEWS FLASH: Disc golf is easier than ball golf. Sorry.

A lot of time and effort has been put into the idea that putting in disc golf is too easy because it's easier than ball golf putting. Disc golf driving is easier than ball golf driving, though. EVERYTHING about disc golf is easier than ball golf. Easier to drive. Easier to putt. Easier to get a tee time. At some point we just have to come to grips with that. Disc golf is great because it's disc golf, not because it so closely replicated the ball golf experience. As a ball golf equivalent, disc golf sucks. Disc golf doesn't suck, though. It's great. I throw a round any chance I get.

I would like to see the "10 meter circle" be pushed out to 20 meters or larger.
Disagree, IMO there should be no circle, keep it stupid simple. How much paint do you want to waste drawing that massive circle or how much time is it going to waste to step off?

Ball golfers can Happy Gilmore their putts and walk them in from contact, why are people trying to restrict movement and athleticism from disc golf?

...NEWS FLASH: Disc golf is easier than ball golf...

This is like saying football (American) is easier than football (soccer) because there are more points scored in one game over the other.

Neither disc golf or Golf is easier or harder. They are completely different skills. There is no need to make disc golf parallel Golf.

NEWS FLASH: Disc golf is easier than ball golf. Sorry.

A lot of time and effort has been put into the idea that putting in disc golf is too easy because it's easier than ball golf putting. Disc golf driving is easier than ball golf driving, though. EVERYTHING about disc golf is easier than ball golf. Easier to drive. Easier to putt.

It's way easier to not be crappy at disc golf...like to pick up some discs and have a good time. Pick up a golf club and you'll lose a dozen balls first round.

But most of our public courses we all play are so easy, and we play with people of a similar skill.

Like what if everyone played normal golf all the time with their buddies a few times a week, on the same pitch and putt 80-150 yard 9 holers and that's all people had access to. You'd get pretty good at shooting pars probably, and maybe shoot negative sometime? Par in golf is good! I mean pro's only shoot a few better.

Then you play a real golf course and see real pro's with real 300 yard drives and no mistakes. Eye opener, you suck, and getting on the green on 120 yard holes is a joke in comparison.

Just like in disc golf...yeah it's easy for us to play local courses and beat our friends sometimes and shoot some hot rounds. Doesn't mean it will happen on a high level layout and it doesn't mean it's anything like the game the elite pro's are playing. They'll win every time. Sure normal people may shoot negative...but -12 is WAY harder to shoot than -4.

It just seems more accessible to be "good" at disc golf...but I do think that being actually good at disc golf is legit hard still. Being good enough to be local good isn't the same thing.