• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ALL Mach baskets should be outlawed in pro tournaments!

Futuristic radially uniform target concept (see attached picture)? To hole out, you can either contact the tone section or land in basket. Simply striking a cylinder to hole out returns to the roots of our game. The basket tray was originally added to help confirm a marked vertical target hit from a distance and on blind holes. However, once the tray was added it transformed our game into more of a "catching" versus "striking" game to hole out where striking became a bit dicier with chains.

There's a chip inserted in the vertical tone cylinder connected to vibration sensors to help confirm a tone hit (but not basket hit) with LED lights blinking, maybe even racing, for 10-15 seconds when hit. Might need solar charger on top for 24-hour play and/or batteries added for lit targets in night play. Assuming a rugged solar cap can be developed and with wi-fi in the area, TDs or even players could activate target light/sound system from an app perhaps the way the Echo from Amazon is activated for skills. Someday Alexa might ask your scores after holing out.

Chains could be dangled to jangle inside the tone section. But the chip would be able to produce the chain sound, too. Or, in some neighborhoods, the cylinder could be filled with sand to dampen the sound. Maybe some manufacturers might provide a sound dampened tone section as an option where LEDs are the primary longer range hit indicator. A tone cylinder would be easier to dampen sound than chains and also provides a more rugged chamber to house and protect advanced electronics.

And here's the kicker for tournament play, open divisions have to hole out landing in the basket, not just contacting the tone section. That should add sufficient putting challenge and a new required throwing skill in a way similar to ball golf where putting is distinctly different from other strokes. Rec players, Ams and Master+ pros could sometimes choose to play "basket only" to be like the Open Pros since the option would always be available on the course.

Generic name? Dinger. Each manufacturer could have their own model such as:
DGA: Mach Dinger
Innova: McDinger (and Discmania)
Gateway: MacDinger
Prodigy: Pro Dinger
Latitude 64: LaDinger
Dynamic Discs: DyDiDinger
Discraft: ChaDinger
Disc King: King Dinger

Anyone else?

Disclaimer: This idea popped into my head yesterday stemming from this discussion thread. It's not anything our PDGA Game Development Team has seen nor any manufacturers until now. 60% concept/30% blue sky/10% comic relief

Attachments

• Dinger.png
    Dinger.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 70
heh... 10% comic relief :D

it's a very interesting idea... feels like it needs something else though...
or maybe less... maybe no basket at all. Going back to tonal poles with a modern twist... hmmm

Started laughing at DyDiDinger... lost it at King Dinger.:hfive:

images

I wish our first "holes" had been more like these.

The PDGA Technical Standards document does not specify a specific size of chain for baskets. So, make baskets with much smaller chain links.

I'm talking little skinny jewelry type chains. Made out of 24k gold.

Generic name? Dinger. Each manufacturer could have their own model such as:
DGA: Mach Dinger
Innova: McDinger (and Discmania)
Gateway: MacDinger
Prodigy: Pro Dinger
Latitude 64: LaDinger
Dynamic Discs: DyDiDinger
Discraft: ChaDinger
Disc King: King Dinger

Anyone else?

MVP - My Dingaling

Dave Cox is local and one of the best putters I've seen. His disc always enters the basket on a hyzer angle. Even when it hits on the left side of the chains they are knocked down into the basket.
All of that (plus an ace) can be seen on this video.

To me this says it's the putting style and not the basket
He won the Worlds putting contest one year.

His putts are going to catch a lot even with the hyzer angle for one reason - they are on their way downward when they enter the chains. Feldberg preaches this style of putting - on it's way down at the basket. This is kind of what I meant when I was saying that putting well requires a certain level of finesse - you can't just blast it in there and hope it sticks, or if you do accept that there will be blow-bys and weird spits.

Nice brainstorming, Chuck. My immediate thought was a LED type light ring around the top of the basket, pointing to the tray. When any of the light beams are broken, a sound or light signal is triggered.

Aim For The Chains said:
I had to find out myself but apparently the new innova has 28chains nd 3 tiers. Weird coincidence eh?

Weird coincidence that the new Innova 28 chain target was approved 4 entire years BEFORE the MVP Black Hole.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/technical-standards

Innova DISCatcher Pro 28 PDGA approved March 18, 2012.
MVP Black Hole approved April 21, 2016.

Wait, what was your point?

So after two days and near 200 posts, it boils down to this:

McBeath sez event baskets spit out 2 RHBH anny leftside putts. Thus, Mach Xs are POSs and must be eliminated. Conspiracy theorists suggest a passive-aggressive marketing ploy.
Today, Trump will tweet "Steady Ed didn't know what he was doing. I'm the best designer!"

Crikey, boys, its disc golf. Man up [phrasing] and tee off. :\

I love the idea chuck! But it's going to be expensive. Easily $800 to $1k per basket to do it right(hold up to the elements, vandal "proof"ish, hold up to constant beatings by discs, long lasting batteries/solar panels, plexiglass covered LEDs, etc....).

Has anyone tried a hole in the ground? It would have to be deep enough to prevent bounce outs and maybe as wide as the tray on a basket. Maintenance and safety might be a concern though. Never mind.

Once again, the discussion leads to this as the perfect solution. They already exist on all courses, and we can cash in by recycling all the unneeded posts and chains.

attachment.php

Attachments

• PerfectBasket.jpg
    PerfectBasket.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 162
Once again, the discussion leads to this as the perfect solution. They already exist on all courses, and we can cash in by recycling all the unneeded posts and chains.

attachment.php

And don't forget all the recycled plastic from players quitting the sport! :doh: