• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

Has anyone seen the new run of Star FB's they came out with that are board flat? I got three of them from the pro shop at USDGC and let me tell you these things are beast masters and are amazing. Best Firebirds Ive thrown in a long time.

they flat as the old pfn ones?

what stability would you compare them to?

I got two flat Stars I've been talking about. It's my favorite disc of all time to be honest. Prefect amount of grip, it's grippy but not floppy either. Really flat, not as beefy as a Champ FAF but really good. I sometimes carry 4 Firebirds in the bag. Wait, I usually do. hehe

Haha I've had as many as 4 in the bag, funnily cut that back to 2. I had my custom inked star one stolen right out from under me. That still hurts, and my old beat to crap DX one is now at the bottom of the pond at Rollin Ridge hole 2

I usually only buy the missprint/used/factory 2nd champ firebirds because the one hole I always use a firebird at my local course thats a 397ft dogleg that's fairway is a semi rock quarry. Its a bit unfair in that if you make a perfect super forward fade/curve shot and it lands right in the fairway the odds are you're hitting large rocks/small boulders at full speed. :(

After losing my trusted/beefy/sort of domey/12x champ firebird in the fall leaves at that hole (damn you super clear yellow champ plastic in the fall) i decided to get a more visible hot pink one online and ended up getting one of those mythical FAF ones. It was just a regular one though, because I couldn't find a hot pink missprint/F2.

15572219570_d962da5cf3_z.jpg

15572218270_72e36527f6_z.jpg

I did some field throws with it and I can see why people want flat firebirds now. Its a lot more predictable/point and shoot.

Now I'm afraid to throw it on that hole... I kind of want to keep it nice and fresh and definitely away from direct full speed rock hits.

Stiff, flat Star are the bomb. Was easier to grip than Champ and nearly as silly overstable when really stiff and flat. Mine has been brutalized for the past 18 months and is still very overstable.

How are people liking their g star Firebirds? I ordered one yesterday and am pretty interested in how it flies. Hopefully it will beat in to be kind of in between my brinster teebrid and star FB.

The G*s are really nice. For me they fly more like a predator L shaped flight instead of the usual firebird C flight. You can really pop them out there but they are always gonna fade hard at the end. They are easy to judge distance with and easy to shape a line with even from a standstill. Kind of reminds me of a worn CE bird.

Everything you said here was true about the Gstar Firebird. I bought one up at Blue Ribbon this past weekend and found myself reaching for it over my seasoned firebirds. The glide is absolutely ridiculous with the amount of control it has. The gstar plastic was a lot more responsive in the cold weather as well. The only thing I need to be mindful of is the amount of skip that disc can have, almost lost it a few times to the ponds! I need to pick up 2 or 3 more to have for field work and cycling. Curious to see how they break in over time!

How are people liking their g star Firebirds? I ordered one yesterday and am pretty interested in how it flies. Hopefully it will beat in to be kind of in between my brinster teebrid and star FB.

I am a huge fan! See my post above this one and the post I quoted from cooter!

I don't know, could be the pic, but that one definitely doesn't look faf from that profile.

I concur. I have two dayglow ones that are of a similar (recent) JL Champion blend. Definitely not FAF, but not domey. Nice mild dome. They're both really controllable, still no turn but not silly OS like the FAF ones. Even though I have the arm for them, I've never really liked the FB's that are on a B-line for the ground the second they leave your hand.

Hey guys, I have a question that may have been answered already, but I'm going to ask nonetheless. Do people bag the Whippet and Firebird? There seems to be a 50 ft difference between the two on the flight charts. I already bag a DX Firebird, too much overlap?

I don't think it's bad at all, 50ft is a decent gap. I bag a Tridnet and FB and use them both a lot, prettying the same thing. Whippet is a darn good disc and he Firebird will probably always be in my bag.

I carry a FAF champ FB, G* FB, and a glow champ WhippetX. They're different enough for me to warrant carrying.
I use:
The G*FB for forehands and backhand when I need to cover some distance before the fade.
The FAF for when I need pure beef immediately until it hits the ground and/or big skips.
The WhippetX when the FBs are too long for the shot and my Drone isn't long enough.

I used to carry a whippet with my firechicken but not anymore. I pair a flat JL gator and firechicken, I felt the whip overlapped with those mold too much to warrant a place. I love whippets, but you only need so many overstable discs in your bag, I find my needs are covered by a gator/firebird.

I used to carry a whippet with my firechicken but not anymore. I pair a flat JL gator and firechicken, I felt the whip overlapped with those mold too much to warrant a place. I love whippets, but you only need so many overstable discs in your bag, I find my needs are covered by a gator/firebird.

Same, I used the whippet for a few years but once I found the gator firebird combo it was no longer needed.

I go Drone/Firebird, and I can't remember a shot in between that I couldn't range. Also carry a Zone, but that's uber-utility, for the most part.

What about a Viper and Firebird?

I've done that often, usually with a Tachyon(pretty much a Viper) and sometimes just a straight up DX Viper.

Basically it would fill the whippets spot without encroaching on the FB, but no need to have both the Viper and Whippett.