• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

I've heard a lot of people say these have a zipper top to them. Which is usually a result of a newer mold. I am certainly not in the know about this, but it seems unlikely that a change is plastic would make them have that property again when no other Firebirds do anymore.

Could be the new plastic, but it seems like there could be a new mold piece.

Just got 25 in our custom order. All embossed. None had a zipper top.

Really? That's interesting, are these for a tournament or are they Panda stamped?

Panda stamped. The plastic blend was a bit different then usual, not sure how to explain it but I didnt care for the feel as much as the runs prior to it.

Panda stamped. The plastic blend was a bit different then usual, not sure how to explain it but I didnt care for the feel as much as the runs prior to it.

That's a number but I bet they have some cool stamps nonetheless. I still have one of the ring of Panda wizards from a few years ago that I pretty sweet.

The tooling on '17 color glow firebirds is different as well.

Mold changes were clearly made for the 17 runs. The top may be the same.

This argument makes me wonder. How many actual molds exist for the most popular discs? Is there just one and all of the discs call Destroyer or Firebird are made in that exact same mold? Or are there a couple? Say one for west coast one for east. I find it very hard to believe that Innova would only have one for these popular discs. How often do the pieces of the mold need to be replaced if they aren't accidentally damaged?

All of these question and I NEED answers.

This argument makes me wonder. How many actual molds exist for the most popular discs? Is there just one and all of the discs call Destroyer or Firebird are made in that exact same mold? Or are there a couple? Say one for west coast one for east. I find it very hard to believe that Innova would only have one for these popular discs. How often do the pieces of the mold need to be replaced if they aren't accidentally damaged?

All of these question and I NEED answers.

The Destroyer just changed shapes again, I believe I first started seeing them before Thanksgiving, but the old shape was still I circulation. Now, I can only find the new shape.

Current run has a wide, blunt nose shape with a more concave, cupped wing. The change is easily detectable.

In a blind feel test with 5 speed 12 drivers, You'd call the new and next most recent shape different molds.

This argument makes me wonder. How many actual molds exist for the most popular discs? ...
I have no insider information.
But I'm positive they have more than one physical mold for even the mediocre models and especially the super popular ones.

Since the firebird shares mold pieces with so many other models they could probably piece together a bunch of Firebird molds.

Again, just a hunch.

I have no insider information.
But I'm positive they have more than one physical mold for even the mediocre models and especially the super popular ones.

Since the firebird shares mold pieces with so many other models they could probably piece together a bunch of Firebird molds.

Again, just a hunch.

Yeah, I agree. I was really just making a point. It is entirely possible that one of the mold pieces used to mold the Sexton Firebirds is new. But just because it is a "new mold" does not mean there is anything different from an "old mold". They could and should ideally be identical except for the slight difference in tooling marks.

So people may be arguing apples and oranges. It could be a newly created mold piece, but I would not call it a new mold as in it was not designed to be different like say a "plus mold".

Just compared the new imprinted ones with what i assume might be the last run of non imprinted ones. Def no zipper top on imprinted ones and the tooling on the underside of them both is different. SO either they just changed the tooling or they are using a new mold.

Just compared the new imprinted ones with what i assume might be the last run of non imprinted ones. Def no zipper top on imprinted ones and the tooling on the underside of them both is different. SO either they just changed the tooling or they are using a new mold.

I haven't seen anyone posting about zipper tops. I have a stack with zipper wings though.

Compared with 2016 Sextons, I believe the core and wing mold pieces have been changed, but not the top.

It's hard to know if champ firebirds have also been changed. We'll see when they run through current stock.

I haven't seen anyone posting about zipper tops. I have a stack with zipper wings though.

Compared with 2016 Sextons, I believe the core and wing mold pieces have been changed, but not the top.

It's hard to know if champ firebirds have also been changed. We'll see when they run through current stock.

Ill check that later tonight when I get home. Never thought to check the wing since ive never heard of a zipper wing before. And now I think ill have to grab one of these and see how it flies.

Ok ladies, I want to see what all the firebird craze is about. I dont collect discs...all mine are throwers.

Should I get a ridiculously overpriced 2017 sexton firebird from one of the facebook groups, or will a regular <$20 'bird from PIAS or somewhere fly the same? Or are they "worth the hype" as far as flight/feel goes? I dont care what they look like.

Ok ladies, I want to see what all the firebird craze is about. I dont collect discs...all mine are throwers.

Should I get a ridiculously overpriced 2017 sexton firebird from one of the facebook groups, or will a regular <$20 'bird from PIAS or somewhere fly the same? Or are they "worth the hype" as far as flight/feel goes? I dont care what they look like.

There are lots of great FBs. But you sortof need to know what you like and are looking for.
The Sexton runs give you a known quantity.

Factory store keeps restocking them. Keep your eyes open and you can easily get one for @$20.

If you like flat discs and want a super OS control driver, then you can find a flat Firebird pretty easily.

If you don't mind a small dome and a more workable OS disc, then you can find a Firebird like that even easier.

the sextons are an out of the box sweet spot firebird. if you can find a used champ firebird, that's your best and cheapest bet for seeing what firebirds are about. and if you're gonna spend any extra for a sexton, go for the 2015, not the 2017. as ODRB said, sextons will be available through retail outlets, no need to go resale.

Last edited:
I would try a flatter star firebird for a cheap sexy bird replacement. Same flight and almost as durable.

So I got to borrow a new Sexton for a round, and I have to say that while I'm sure it's a fine disc just like the 2015 I tried, it's just not what I want from a Firebird.

The opaque and pearly FAF runs are the best there is at what they do. The Star, G*, and Sexons are all fine but it's not the disc that I personally want.

Latest posts