• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

Anyone else get the trio of breads on infinite during Black Friday? I got all of em, but my favorite has to be this beaut.

Attachments

• C0EB97B0-5E4B-4B39-8822-B8C57245E0FE.jpg
    C0EB97B0-5E4B-4B39-8822-B8C57245E0FE.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 42
I got a 163g GStar Firebird after throwing a 160g FAF 12x that just dumped into the ground. The GStar essentially flies like a Teebird or FD2. I now know I made a mistake with the plastic and weight combination. My question is, where do I go from here? I don't have a ton of power, so it's going to serve as a utility/headwind disc for me.

Any recommendations on which plastic/weight to go for? Here is what I'm thinking my options are for now:

~170-175g GStar
~165-169g Star

If that's what you are thinking I would go with the Star option. They hold stability longer and once you dial it in you don't want that changing like it will on the g*.

Anyone here use a Firebird for a long time & then replace it totally with an FD3, Felon, Motion or Raptor type disc?

I got a 163g GStar Firebird after throwing a 160g FAF 12x that just dumped into the ground. The GStar essentially flies like a Teebird or FD2. I now know I made a mistake with the plastic and weight combination. My question is, where do I go from here? I don't have a ton of power, so it's going to serve as a utility/headwind disc for me.

Any recommendations on which plastic/weight to go for? Here is what I'm thinking my options are for now:

~170-175g GStar
~165-169g Star

I don't have a ton of power either, occasionally can get a TBird or Sidewinder to 300', I recently picked up a 168g Star Firebird, it has been working for me in the few rounds I have been able to play since.

Anyone here use a Firebird for a long time & then replace it totally with an FD3, Felon, Motion or Raptor type disc?

I can't bring myself to do it. I've been throwing Firebirds almost since I started playing. I have been slowly accumulating first run Z Raptors and I occasionally carry one instead of a Firebird.

But I don't know if I'll ever really switch. I totally could, it just feels weird not carrying one at this point.

~170-175g GStar
~165-169g Star

For me, bread and butter Firebirds are Champions in the lower 170's with a touch of dome. FAF ones will be crazy overstable out of the box, regardless of weight. The key is to get one with a regular/low amount of dome to it. Enough dome to give it a little glide, and not have the parting line pulled up too high.

A Star would also probably be a good choice, in my experience these typically mold up with the kind of dome I'm describing.

~170-175g GStar
~165-169g Star

I want my Firebirds to be beefy as can be, so I only ever look at 175g in Star or Champion (Sexton's champion glow is too good). That'd be my recommendation for just about anyone, but perhaps that's not appropriate for all power levels. Really, a heavy premium plastic Thunderbird might be right for you - Star Thundys are very Firebird-like.

For me, bread and butter Firebirds are Champions in the lower 170's with a touch of dome. FAF ones will be crazy overstable out of the box, regardless of weight. The key is to get one with a regular/low amount of dome to it. Enough dome to give it a little glide, and not have the parting line pulled up too high.

A Star would also probably be a good choice, in my experience these typically mold up with the kind of dome I'm describing.

Couldn't agree more. I'm glad everyone pines over the FAF Firebirds as there is an abundance of really nice throwers that aren't stupid OS.

Cool. The dome on the GStar is nice (and showed with the glide I got out of it). I tend to prefer the grip of Champ plastic over Star, so it sounds like I just need to find one with some dome and give it a shot.

I want my Firebirds to be beefy as can be, so I only ever look at 175g in Star or Champion (Sexton's champion glow is too good). That'd be my recommendation for just about anyone, but perhaps that's not appropriate for all power levels. Really, a heavy premium plastic Thunderbird might be right for you - Star Thundys are very Firebird-like.

I like them beefy as well, I stocked up on the recent flat champion pearlies and love them. I find the true FAF basically unworkable but not the pearlies. I only bag one FB and probably throw it FH 80%, rarely throw it BH. I have plenty of OS PDs if I need a wind fighting BH control driver.

I like the older pfn star ones because they are flat and are a good overstable but not too overstable. They also break into good long straight with a slow fade discs in the 400 range

I tried those, but the Motion was too long/straight and the Raptor turned a bit too much. Though the Domey Champ ones you see about are basically a Raptor.

I did try a Flare and it's essentially an old FAF Firebird reborn. Really like it.

I like them beefy as well, I stocked up on the recent flat champion pearlies and love them. I find the true FAF basically unworkable but not the pearlies. I only bag one FB and probably throw it FH 80%, rarely throw it BH. I have plenty of OS PDs if I need a wind fighting BH control driver.

I had the fortune/misfortune to pick up my first Firebirds in the true FAF era, there have been a couple of other flat pearly runs in okay with, but none that I love like an old FAF 175.

The dynamic duo: Modern flat firebird, and beat 11x. No need for domey firebirds.
There are three runs that stand out to me, in order of most favorite: 2012ish Opaque FAF, 2019 Flat and Pearly, 2012 Pearly FAF.