• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

I think my flat glow firebird is actually seasoning now :thmbup: . I've been doing spike hyzers over the tree on the left on hole 1 at Huntington beach Central park (LHBH) for about 6-7 months and the landing zone is hard packed dirt. It's finally changing from a utility disc to a driver i can throw with good results backhand.

only time ive ever flipped mine was in a huge howling headwind. which was today. i also should have thrown it harder and lower. otherwise. i think i used it on 15/18 holes for drives today in this nasty wind that brewed up. such an asset to my bag

What are the gummier pre flight # 12x's going for now adays? I have 2, theyre not domey but def not board flat like the recent stiffer runs

What are the gummier pre flight # 12x's going for now adays? I have 2, theyre not domey but def not board flat like the recent stiffer runs

I just snagged a pearly pre #s 12x out of the local club's stock. Also curious as to how much they are going for, although it's probably going in the bag. It's a sweet 'bird!

Traded a champion rhyno for KC 12x champion 175 FB. Already had a 171 tie dye champ FB. Man the 12x is noticeably flatter and stiffer than the tie dye. I don't throw much Innova but the FB will stay in my bag. Nobody makes anything like it really. It's easier to throw than my flick. I use the FB for our crazy West Texas winds or any meat hook shot that comes up. My opinion is it's the best Innova disc out there. For sure the best Innova I've thrown.

Anybody else seeing these champy-star Star Firebirds w/ Flight #'s? I just got a max-weight one and it's a very nice Firebird. Very slight dome, really nice semi-flexible plastic, quite OS but not 12x Champ Flat Top OS ... kind of the C-PD I've always wanted but without all the searching for decent plastic and non-plus rims. I'm carrying a heavy 12x Champ Flat Top for sidearms and shorter thumbers, a 160g 12x Champ Flat Top for thumbers, and the 175g Champ-Star for extreme hyzer backhands, skip shots, and backhand wind-fighting.

anyone have a chance to test out this years firebirds? I hated last years. Way too overstable and didn't seem to have any distance on them. I am hoping they aren't the same run.

I would think that JL is the current run. I haven't tested any but the plastic is really nice, fairly grippy and pretty stiff but not as stiff as the 12x flat tops. They are pretty flat too but have some shoulder to them. At least the ones I have seen.

I know what Innova says about their drivers, but do you consider the Firebird to be a distance driver or a fairway driver?

I know what Innova says about their drivers, but do you consider the Firebird to be a distance driver or a fairway driver?

I'd say FWY unless you beat one in, I got a DX and Star that both go really far. Any Champ you are going to struggle to get good distance out of no doubt. They are more of a utility disc in general.

I consider it a fairway, but typically only use beefy ones(12X FAF Champ for BH). Some of the stable ones actually go quite far. My DX broke into a very straight flyer. On a low and snappy throw it will push up on 400ft. That is driver territory.

So to answer your question; it depends on the bird you are throwing which it is.

Although I consider my Firebirds to be fairway drivers, the Firebird is the mold I've had my longest drives with. Gotta love 'birds for roller shots!

personally i have been calling that 8 and 9 speed range "control drivers", such has the pd, escape, volt, etc...
for what ever reason that speed disc has been so popular recently and it isnt quite a distance driver nor is it a fairway..

Control driver, all the way (as was previously mentioned). It was also mentioned how popular this category of driver is today...and for good reason. For newer or slower-armed players, it's about the tops of their speed range. For more experienced players, you can still get great distance, but on much more control than those monster-rimmed speed 12s and 13s.

Firebird fits that bill. Even a fresh FAF will still go farther than, say, a Whippet or Banshee. My CE FXs are very well worn, and fly darn near as far as my Giants, on similar lines. You just have to wear one in and see their potential.

Latest posts