• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] All Things FIREBIRD

My theory why Paul used FD3 and Monster instead of FireBird is the grip: The powergrip is more comfortable with wide rim discs (IMO). Paul uses powergrip instead of stack grip with forehand. FD3 rim (and Monster as well) is wider than FireBird's.

Paul also used to throw Destroyer on really short forehand hyzer shots. So I believe it's all about grip and comfort.

My theory why Paul used FD3 and Monster instead of FireBird is the grip: The powergrip is more comfortable with wide rim discs (IMO). Paul uses powergrip instead of stack grip with forehand. FD3 rim (and Monster as well) is wider than FireBird's.

Paul also used to throw Destroyer on really short forehand hyzer shots. So I believe it's all about grip and comfort.

I thought the FD3 had the exact same bottom mold piece/rim as the Firebird. Literally the exact same feel

Is it a Sexton FB? He was using those before the move to the FD3.

I wonder if the switch has more to do with going to an all-Innova bag than any other reason... :confused:

No, regular champion a d that's what I was thinking too

The cynic in me says that the reason he made the switches was because Innova won't take Kenny's name off the Champ Firebird. McBeth is just looking to his brand....

I think the only reason I've ever heard him give officially for switching away from Firebirds was they weren't quite "comfortable" for him or something to that effect. If that were true though, he wouldn't keep coming back to them...

You might be right about Climo's name on the Champ Firebird. Having said that... Paul really didn't seem comfortable with the Firebird (grip might be a reason, as someone said), but if it were all about name, why did he try the Sexton Firebird (and the 2017 USDGC Champ's name is NOT coming off those!)? My sense is that he likes the FD3, but like many other pros he is migrating to that all-Innova bag, as he could throw Discmania, but is not going to...

Or I could be completely out to lunch. Just idle speculation.

Idle speculation is what is fun about all this. :)

not much recent talk on this thread, are the DX Firebirds still coming out decent?

im just adding some control drivers back to my bag after a period of focusing on form and throwing only mids / putters.

immediatly thinking of the DX Firebird to add back in. great for those long shots along the lakeshore that you want to be sure fades hard enough left at the end to avoid a swim.

not much recent talk on this thread, are the DX Firebirds still coming out decent?

Decent? Depends on what you consider decent.

I bought one last fall, it flew like a Valkyrie with no glide!
DX Banshees are better.

Hopefully, newer runs in DX will be better. Not holding my breath though:popcorn:

really? thats too bad. i always liked to keep a couple of dx firebirds.

reliable, cheap and easy to find.

sorry to hear the new ones are not that reliable

Decent? Depends on what you consider decent.

I bought one last fall, it flew like a Valkyrie with no glide!
DX Banshees are better.

Hopefully, newer runs in DX will be better. Not holding my breath though:popcorn:

Glidelss Valkyrie? Dead straight........to the ground? Actually sounds useful in spots.