• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] All things Westside

I have two VIP Kings (170g) and I would call them both high-speed understable.

If I had to give them Innova ratings it would be 12, 7, -3, 2

....Kings are great understable high speed drivers with a ton of glide

...I'm really liking the Giant, it's overstable with a ton of glide.

WESTSIDE is awesome.

Here are the flight ratings I would give (Innova system) for the Westside discs I've tried:

King, 170g VIP: 12,7,-3,2
Sword, 174g Tournament: 11,6,-1,2
Boatman, 173g Tournament: 11,4,0,3
Warship, 177g Tournament: 6,5,-1,1
Swan II, 175g Eco1: 3,3,-1,1

I find the VIP Northman to be most like a broken in champ Beast. An SL is a more stable disc all around, but requires more mustard and a lower line to achieve similar distance. Broken in Beast may be a bit off, more like a longer River.

The Sword is super sexy. For me it flies like all the same lines as PD's but gets an extra 30'.

The Boatman is a good driver for straight shots into headwinds, and was my go to wind disc until Giants came out. I started with a 166 TP Giant which was a beefcake for the first 2 weeks, but it will now flip a bit from hyzer and will anhyzer to the ground if needed. Now I primarily use it for sidearm distance and max distance flex shots. I also picked up a 171 vip which is just like the TP started, I use it in most windy situations and for short range high skips.

I'd call the TP Giant an Innova 12, 5, 0, 3.5 and the VIP Giant 12, 5, .5, 4.

The VIP Sword is closer to a 0 hss than the TP. Generally all the VIPs are a tick mrore hss, but don't suffer any lack of glide or distance.

What the heck are all of those poles all over the course?

Snowtubing and snowboarding lifts during the winter season. Holes 1-3, 6-7, and 18 are on the side of a snowtubing hill. The course closes in October and generally opens in April. The fairways for holes 4-5 and 8-17 are for crosscountry skiing.

I've got a few throws into a VIP Warship and I must say I prefer it to the TP Warship
Similar glide but the extra stability that I was looking for
The TP Warship is very Fuse like.

I like my Swords for tailwind drives.

I am very much enjoying the TP Giant
I'll be trying a VIP Giant soon

I've got a few throws into a VIP Warship and I must say I prefer it to the TP Warship
Similar glide but the extra stability that I was looking for
The TP Warship is very Fuse like.

I like my Swords for tailwind drives.

I am very much enjoying the TP Giant
I'll be trying a VIP Giant soon

Sweet! My Warship is a VIP...Haven't thrown it yet, but your description is just what I am looking for.

Wish I had read this thread before my recent purchase was looking for a disc to have a little turn then reliable fade so thought the -1 then 4 of the king would be perfect. And speed 14 surely if that even if it only equates to speed 12 I won't be able to turn it over. Very wrong. I don't know if mine is just particularly under stable, it is very flat, but I can't throw it anywhere near flat. Even on a pretty steep hyper it flips, even at half speed it flips and rolls. I can't see a way I'll be able to use it at all. Very annoying because the silver stamp on the red colourshift looks amazing.

Speculation/Fantasizing here..

Westside and L64 have an extremely tight relationship as we all know. I say that Westside is sitting back watching people foam at the mouth over the Saint (great disc). Westside does need a driver in the 7-9 speed range. Another cool Finnish stamp would be nice too. So how long until the Westside fairway driver? I really like the Giant, Sword, Boatman, Northman and Warship.

i could see them producing something similar to what the saint was originally given flight numbers for. might not be quite as fast as the saint because that would seem to get close to the boatman.

even though the two companies are separate they have many molds that compliment each other very well. right now i'm rocking the fuse/warship/pain combo for mids and the river/saint/pd/sword/king/giant for drivers. i'm excited to see if any up and comers get any dual sponsorship love.

i could see them producing something similar to what the saint was originally given flight numbers for. might not be quite as fast as the saint because that would seem to get close to the boatman.

even though the two companies are separate they have many molds that compliment each other very well. right now i'm rocking the fuse/warship/pain combo for mids and the river/saint/pd/sword/king/giant for drivers. i'm excited to see if any up and comers get any dual sponsorship love.

The Boatmans I have/had are incredibly stable, almost Predator-like in flight. Do not know if that is a fluke or not, but their 0 turn and only 2 fade is what persuaded me to buy them in the first place. Maybe I have flukes, but I would rate them +0.5 and 3.

Of all the Lat and Westside, the Northman is the only one I have not thrown before. I do not know why; I have thrown almost every disc from every manufacturer. Based upon numbers isn't the Northman already close (obviously not talking clone) to the Saint?

Anyway, with Lat and Westside having such a great relationship, why is there a need for Westside to produce a Saint-like disc? They are not like Discraft and DGA where we are to pretend they have not cloned each other's discs in their partnership and just relabeled them. If Westside were to be working on something, they need to concentrate more on mids and putters. They have a very competent driver line-up right now. If, however, they need to work on a driver, I would love to see some sort of fairway driver like Discmania's FD Jackal. It has the glide and range of the River but has more lateral movement and is not as nose sensitive.

I agree, I just would like to see a driver slower than a 10speed.

FWIW.. My Northman is less stable than my Saint. Westside has the Warship that is comparable to the Core, but faster and more glide IMO. The Boatman and the Riot have very similar numbers too.

i've thrown 2 different northmen and thought they were both flip machines. one was a 168 flat yellow tournament, and as soon as i opened up the package and saw it could tell it was gonna be understable. the other was a yellowish green vip at like 171 that i was expecting to be a beefcake...it had a good sized dome to it, but flew ok with the massive flashing still on it. once it wore away it became a flip machine too. i picked these up hoping for something a bit more stable than my beat in s td that i use for hyzerflips and rollers. both were more flippy than a 7/10 168 s td that had broken in enough to not be straight anymore.

i could see latitude and westside trying to not step on each other's toes for a while as far as directly competing molds. as each line fills out with molds it's obviously gonna happen at some point. i just don't see westside making something that is a direct competitor to a disc like the fuse or river right now. a little down the road maybe.

The Northman is closer to a Valkyrie, and a little more understable. Sort of how the Saint is feeling like an overstable Viking (only had a round with it so far).

Mostly agree with smartquark about the Boatman -- and I don't think his were abnormal -- I have about 5 of them and they're nearly identical. They are quite overstable, easily a 0 if not a +.5 like he said. They do lose their hard fade after a bit of wear/deflashing though, and its really a great disc for wind and consistently shaping a variety of shots.

Wish I had read this thread before my recent purchase was looking for a disc to have a little turn then reliable fade so thought the -1 then 4 of the king would be perfect. And speed 14 surely if that even if it only equates to speed 12 I won't be able to turn it over. Very wrong. I don't know if mine is just particularly under stable, it is very flat, but I can't throw it anywhere near flat. Even on a pretty steep hyper it flips, even at half speed it flips and rolls. I can't see a way I'll be able to use it at all. Very annoying because the silver stamp on the red colourshift looks amazing.

I had the same issue with my colorshift king 80degree hyzer, flip up turn and never come back or worse flip, turn and rooooool. It was a very pretty POS.

Then I found the merlot,VIP, belly button, king. Such a Completely different disc and what I think was intended for this disc.sweeeet sweeeet s curves from a flat release and dependable deep hyzer flips with 10-20 degrees of hyzer. My go to mad bomber! find one and you will not be disappointed

Gary

Latest posts