• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Allentown, PA area

All right, so here is the revised route.

Starting Richmond hopefully by 9am Saturday 4/6, Iron Hill by 1pm, Stafford Woods by 5pm, Sedley Woods by 6pm the drive to French Creek to camp. Sunday: 7am French Creek then to Tyler then to Nockamixon then to Jordan Creek, camp somewhere around Jordan Creek. Monday hopefully hit Blue Mountain Skyline before heading home.

Any input on where to camp at Jordan Creek?

Iron Hill is freaking SICK. You're going to love that course!
DSCJNKY

Once you cross into Jersey from Delaware take interstate 295N (not 130N) unless you like signal lights.
I'll probably be at Sedgley that day playing and/or selling discs.

I never even thought of Iron Hill until Optidiscic mentioned it, now I'm freaking stoked! After reading DSCJNKY and prerube's reviews and knowing how good both are, I think we'll be playing the long tee to short basket. And who knows, we may hit it up again on our way home Monday and play short to long. DGroad trips rule!

Thanks for any and all input guys!

You'll love Iron Hill. It's my home course during the week atleast! I love the Short to Long layout and that's what I usually play. Long to Short is awesome as well. Either way you can't go wrong

Stafford is my home course on the weekends

FYI after playing Tyler you could drive up to Tinicum and camp on the course play it when u wake up and then hit Nockamixon-Sellersville-Jordan etc. instead of backtracking to French Creek...FC and Sankanac can be played on your way out of town

Play the long-to-longs... trust me it's worth it!
It shouldn't add too much time to your round. Besides, you'll save time by being at the tee-pad where the tee-sign is anyway. It will save you some scouting from the shorts.
DSCJNKY

optidiscic, I see your point completely, but after researching it a little it looks like the campground showers are only gonna be open at French Creek. Tinicum "comfort stations" aren't open until april 15, just a bit after our trip.

i'm gonna look into it further though, still got plenty of time until the trip. Thanks again!

Two more cents from a fomer LV disc golf nut:

If you play Jordan the evening before, in the morning you'd have two options if Blue Mt. isn't open:

1) Take 22 from 145 (Jordan is just a few roads off 145) east to 378, then go a few miles to the top of the hill, and you're two minutes from South Mt. South Mt. has a lot of woods and some nice elevation changes, and is a quick play. Two of you with no lost discs can be done in about an hour and short change. However, that will leave you a little longer drive to the turnpike (I-476), which you'll use to leave the area the quickest on your way home. Or...

2) Go through the center of Allentown, make a few turns, and find yourself at Little Lehigh. It takes a little longer than South Mt. to play, but the course is just as enjoyable and offers water hazards, which South Mt. doesn't. It will leave you a short drive from I-78 south of Allentown, which you can use to 309 North and a few turns will put you on the turnpike to leave the area.

3) One more thought: If you're looking for a short course with a few surprises, print yourself a map of Covered Bridges/Wehr's Dam. It is less than five minutes from 22 and offers a little bit of elevation and a few longer holes in addition to a plethora of birdie and ace runs. It is a nice play and if you're pressed for time, it doesn't take long and doesn't take you out of the way if you need to take the turnpike.

One last thought... I-476 is expensive! However, it is the quickest way out.

As an Allentown native, it is one of the best places to experience great disc golf and totally worth your time. Those people down there know what they are doing and they do a fine job with the courses in the area. Hope this helps!

Andrew

Also, I mentioned camping because that's what you seem into. I, however, tend to stay in hotels when travelling because my back isn't what it used to be. I don't think I would be able to move too well, let alone throw a disc, after sleeping on the ground. That being said, camping is rather scarce near the courses except tinicum, as far as I know.

2) Go through the center of Allentown, make a few turns, and find yourself at Little Lehigh. It takes a little longer than South Mt. to play, but the course is just as enjoyable and offers water hazards, which South Mt. doesn't. It will leave you a short drive from I-78 south of Allentown, which you can use to 309 North and a few turns will put you on the turnpike to leave the area.

Should read "Takes twice as long to play as South Mountain because the Little Lehigh Parkway is very long to begin with and includes several very long walks in between several holes".

It doesn't take me twice as long to play Little Lehigh as it does South Mountain. Twenty minutes, tops. My advice would be to add a half hour at most for the two of you for the extra walks. That would practically catch you up as far as the extra time needed for driving if you went to the Mountain. Either way, both courses are indeed great and each are worthy of consideration on your road trip.

The other determining factor when considering the Little Lehigh Parkway vs. South Mountain is precipitation. The Parkway gets boggy whenever there is a lot of rain/melt, but SoMo is in an old growth boulder field at a higher elevation (not too mushy).

I'm not trying to rain on the Little Lehigh Parkway parade...just trying to give you all the angles.