• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I the only one that doesn't putt with a putter?

just can't think of putting with anything besides a putter. I have tried a midrange and a driver from about 10 feet in and can do it, I just don't see the point of not using one.

I threw my FLX Drone at a practice basket for the hell of it. Felt really, really, really good in the hand. It'll be the putter of choice if I have to go around a tree (or crazy windy as you mentioned).

when i started out i didnt use a putter, now unless i can just drop it in the basket, i always do

My wife followed the lead card on the final round at the Texas Womens Championship and I was suprised to hear that Des Reading putted with a DX Shark for that entire round. Her Innova profile says she putts with an Aviar. It was not very windy that day.

The best putter I know is my brother. He makes most of his putts inside 50' and he carries one disc for putting....an extremely beat Champion Panther.

you may want to try an XD. It has a low profile like a buzzz but is a slower flying disc. when it came out it was marketed as a driver (ca. 1984). It's basically a retooled low profile Aviar. some of the Lat64° putters are pretty low profile but I can't remember which one.

EDIT: haha Apothecary beat me to it. but seriously XD

Spike and (to some extent) Pure.

I have a friend that puts with his 175 Champ viking. He has years of experience, and for him, a Viking just does whatever he wants. Yes, he might have an increased chance of going through the chains compared to a blowfly- but I honestly have a hard time keeping up with his short range game and I'm a Buzzz/Magnet guy who considers himself to be a fairly decent approach/putt shooter. It works for him; God knows why but it does.

That said, the big reason you'd want to put with a putter is exactly what's been said- to slow down your speed. I think it'd be good to know that you can also DRIVE with a putter, in order to cap your distance at a very precise spot. I know I can drop my putter right at 180ish feet- which helps if you have a water hazard on the backside and don't want to drown your buzzz.

XD

thanks for all the input guys, I'll look into getting an xd.

Any more putters with depth similar to the buzzz that I should try out?

I have been using the Latitude 64 Spike in Gripline for long putts and short approaches. I have heard it is similar to the XD. It is a solid disc and the plastic seems pretty durable. And if you like gimicks it has the traction zones on top.

I've been playing almost a year now and had great success using a beat dx glo roc. I now use a banger GT, but for longer putts i fall back to the roc. I just know how it will fly and where it will land, in the basket!?!

I started using an Aviar, switched to a banger GT, most recently - I've been putting with a beat in Roc. By far, it gets out of my hand with the least amount of wobble. Based on suggestions here, I'll try the XD, as the Roc isn't very 'grippy' with the chains. The other putter/approach I use is the gumbputt...great for those pedestal baskets or when there's lots of hills.

Every time I miss my putt I will get mad and pick up my driver and throw it in the basket. So honestly I should probably putt with a driver!!

180 Star Mako is $$$ for me.
When I am playing a practice round I sometimes follow a missed putt with a putt from my last (marker) disk. I started noticing that the Mako flew nice and straight and I made a bunch of those putts so I started experimenting with it and now it is my putter of choice.

Every time I miss my putt I will get mad and pick up my driver and throw it in the basket. So honestly I should probably putt with a driver!!

I do this from time to time...I'm sure if you tried only putting with the driver you'd get just as frustrated and throw your putter into the basket though.

No, you need to practice your putting more.

Getting a Soft Magnet might help also.:D

At the first tournament I played in this year, the guy that finished second in Open used a Roc to putt with. It is all a matter of personal preference. Putters are usually designed to hit the ground and stop with little to no skip making them great for approaching and putting, most of the time.

At the first tournament I played in this year, the guy that finished second in Open used a Roc to putt with. It is all a matter of personal preference. Putters are usually designed to hit the ground and stop with little to no skip making them great for approaching and putting, most of the time.

They are also more controlable at slower speeds.

I started with Aviars and never liked them. Felt weird in my hand, turned over whenever I drove with them and I always missed my putts low. Putted with the Buzz for a while and did better. Then one day I went to my shop and browsed putters. Came away with the Rhyno, which worked great for me at the time. It was more comfortable in my hand, so I actually used it. Later on I bought a Wizard due to all the hype on DGR and re-discovered why domey putters are a good thing.

I think that's what's important, finding a comfortable putter that flies well for you.

Putters are much easier to control for putts and short shots. If you get good with a putter, you can use them for drives, approaches, putts etc.

I've tried a few putters and was given an omega, I don't really like it and use a Hydra to do most of my putting and have had great success with it

i have been playing a little less than 2 years and up until a month ago i used a champ. boss to putt because i liked the thicker rim. i was pretty decent with it but if i missed it rolled a ton. i got an aviar for my b-day, and now i am wondering why i didn't have one all along.

Latest posts