• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am world BAGGERS

Guys, relax. This is barely a sport. Who cares who plays where? Most players are stoned, drunk or both. So what if some talented wins a few extra $12 discs? Just go throw and have fun. And if you are playing against that guy, win or shut up.

Sloppy out.

Again, I agree with not forcing people to move up. If you don't like someone beating you, and they are following all the rules, then you just need to get better, not whine that the other guy is too good.

Having said that, I think part of the reason that no sport forces people to go pro is because they don't have to. They don't need to worry that the fireballer is going to forever dominate his amateur peers, because there is an incentive for him to move on if he wants to get paid for those talents. If he choses to not turn pro, the decision isn't seen as a way to beat up on lesser talents to get paid. That's why a dominate athlete in another sport is almost revered for not turning pro and disc golfers doing something similar are often ridiculed. Disc golfers don't have to turn pro to get paid.

Fair point.

Perhaps some disc golfers have stayed Am and dominated their local scene. To my knowledge, no one has won multiple AmWorld championships (discounting juniors). I'm not even sure anyone has won the Advanced World Championship and continued playing Am afterwards.

The rule allowing Ams to play Pro and accept merch in lieu of cash has allowed some of those fast-rising, high-rated Ams to not dominate the other local Ams, but compete against local Pros while maintaining their Am status in quest of a world championship. I have known a number of players who did it this way. They all went Pro after taking their best shot at AmWorlds.

The rule allowing Ams to play Pro and accept merch in lieu of cash has allowed some of those fast-rising, high-rated Ams to not dominate the other local Ams, but compete against local Pros while maintaining their Am status in quest of a world championship. I have known a number of players who did it this way. They all went Pro after taking their best shot at AmWorlds.

Also a fair point. I don't play tournaments (or even leagues) so I never thought about the merch rules working out that way.

Also a fair point. I don't play tournaments (or even leagues) so I never thought about the merch rules working out that way.

Years ago, once you went pro, you stayed pro. Unless you got special dispensation from the PDGA.

It created the move-up/move-up/move-out syndrome. Players would hang in Advanced for fear of making a mistake moving up, or more often, would move up, plateau at a non-cashing level, and eventually drop out of tournaments. They were stuck in pro, paying high fees for a losing proposition.

The change in rules allows Ams to test the Pro waters, and Pros (under 970) who made a mistake to move back down. With certain restrictions.

It's been said many places, but the names are inaccurate, yet people get hung up on them. Our Pros aren't really pros, other than maybe a dozen of them; they don't make a living, they just win a little bit of cash. Our Ams aren't really Ams, at least in the true sense of amateurism, a fact which drives some people nuts.

The clamoring for someone else to "move up" is almost always self-serving. Pros want Advanced players to move up to add to the prize money they can win. Other Advanced players want to the top Advanced players to move up, so the remaining Advanced players can win top prizes.

Despite the OP being an idiot, I agree with the fact that Mr. 1000 rated AM is a bagger. I know he is within his right to play as an AM,and I don't think he should be forced to move up, but it is a douche bag move. He's not a sandbagger, he is a douche bagger. Congrats on being the best guy to hide from the better division. New is absolutely right that he deserves every bit of ridicule he gets.

Man this is a hot-button issue for me. You know how many times I've gotten called a bagger for playing in the Rec division? Literally every tournament. I've never won. My rating is only an 839. Yet I have a second place finish, and I've been playing since I was a little kid so I must be a sandbagger, right?

Another case...there was an event in Colorado last weekend that had a Juniors Division. The cut-off was 19 years old...which is odd, but whatever. A 14 year-old kid won the Juniors Division and, I kid you not, people were calling him a bagger because he blew the other juniors away and scored better than some intermediate guys. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!!? A 14 year old kid is a bagger for playing his age group? Come on.

The crux of this is exactly as many others have said: there's usually no reason to "go pro" in Disc Golf unless you are a dominator. And guess what? The guy who wins Am Worlds this year is more than likely going to get picked up by a major sponsor, then move to Open, then kill it on the Pro Tour. That's the cycle.

Despite the OP being an idiot, I agree with the fact that Mr. 1000 rated AM is a bagger. I know he is within his right to play as an AM,and I don't think he should be forced to move up, but it is a douche bag move. He's not a sandbagger, he is a douche bagger. Congrats on being the best guy to hide from the better division. New is absolutely right that he deserves every bit of ridicule he gets.

:clap::clap:

Masnut wins this thread

Absolutely.

Well you both are dee deeee deeeees.....and at least you care enough to be a good American and go out and vote.

put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Edit: interesting that the OP is arguing against someone winning on the merit of their performance (and seems to be pushing for some sort of redistribution of wealth).....and it sounds like he voted for a loser (of the election) who is against the ideas he is promoting here. My head is spinning.

Last edited:
Haters going to hate.

Besides isn't this year's World's trophy only? Last place gets the same swag as first place. So really this is all about the golf anyway. It's about bragging rights. So a highly rated AM golfer has a dream to win the biggest AM tournament, and he has foregone becoming a PRO in order to do so. Good for him. Why should his dreams be altered by the selfish opinions of others?

i am with the hammer on this one....that being said i dont believe anyone should be forced to go from am to pro however I do believe anyone rated over 980 should be required to play in the open division in tourneys where its offered, doesnt really apply for worlds though, same thing for age protection, not a big fan of someone like the champ being allowed to play in an age protected division...

I don't think its fair to judge this guy without knowing his motives, goals or aspirations.

I know for a fact one of the gentleman tied for 8th with a near 1000 rating who also happens to be a close friend of mine, is planning on going Pro after this last shot at Am Worlds. He has been playing Open locally and doing quite well. Stocking up on the plastic he throws instead of cashing so he can retain his AM status and go for the title.

Beyond the principles of it, the player mentioned in the OP is within the rules. I agree with those who have said if it bugs you, get better so you can beat him.

The guy has every right to play where he wants. If playing am is ok with him, there's nothing stopping him.

I am a 933 player who can on several occasions string together 980 or so rounds on my local courses. Am Worlds is here next year. I hope Mr. 1000 is moving up afterwards because I want my chances of winning to increase, that way I can prove that I am the best of the remaining amateurs around. De-Fault, the two best words in the English language.

In all seriousness, unless it is a rating or age protected division, you should play in the division that brings out the best competitive game you have. This year I have two Int victories, my first two ever, and one being the MN Am Int Championship. Second place and I were neck and neck going into the last dozen holes because we were doing a great job pushing each other. If you took my final score, I would have been mid pack in advanced. However, that stress at that time may have made me play worse because I might not have felt I was playing competitive with those around me. The last time I played advanced in a major tournament, I finished last by over 20 throws.

Now that was two years ago. For the last three years I have been traditionally finishing 3rd to 6th in mid-sized int fields, mid-20s in large fields, so this year's jump was pleasantly unexpected but also likely fueled because I felt was being competitive with the top players in my division. Despite a hiccup at the Majestic where I finished 11th out of 90 in int (I had a horrendous first round, but my second and third were tremendously better and enough to salvage 11th), I am going to challenge myself to play the remainder of the year in advance to prepare for next year. I am hoping my recent upswing in my play will make me rise even higher if I can be competitive, but I also fear that if I let it sink in that I am not competitive with this upper group of players that I will sink just as hard as I did two years ago.

On Monday I played at a local league as advanced. It is a course I know well but I have not played in this particular league before. I took first in advanced, making me feel good, especially since one other on my card was pushing me to make critical shots, but I temper this win with that a few of the better advanced players who might have played this league are down at the Am Championship right now.

Basically, I do not necessarily fault Mr. 1000 since I do not know him personally. If playing in this division helps him rise to the occasion and brings out the best in his game, then everyone just needs to enjoy the show and see what he can do. It is a totally different matter if he shoots the same when stacked up against higher level competition and he is under the stress to perform better in order to be competitive. I know that I likely would not have shot as well if I had played up at the MN Am Championship and I would likely not have shot as well if I had played down at Monday's local league. Again, it is a matter of where you feel the best competition is for you.

Have you looked at the scores that at Pro Worlds? 1000 rated golf might cash, it would come nowhere near winning.

im guessing if you have a 1000 rating you know a thing or two about disc golf.. also wouldnt someone have to shoot well over to get 1000?