• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

Luckily the first event is less than a month away!!!

Event Name Location Date Info
Salient Series #3-PK Augusta, GA 2/20/2016
American Open 2016 Blythewood, SC 5/13-15/16

Oh snap.....the famous Pendleton King Park is getting in on the action

Wow, I while I was asleep they threw a bunch of fresh meat to the pack.

It is a better website, the bizarre weeklong shutdown notwithstanding. Better looking, better produced, with more information.

And, probably unfortunately for them, but fortunately for these forums, with the same inherent flaws in the project as before.

Rim Depth 5-7% of Total Diameter

The MVP Spin that was just released should be submitted for approval, however it's Rim (1.5) to Diameter (21.0) or (7.14%) make it an Illegal Disc. Also the Black Zombie Chainsaw would also be illegal to use.

"Legacy" Discs that would NOT get approved if they were new:

Lightning Discs #2 Upshot
Quest Applied Technologies Odyssey Power Driver
Quest Applied Technologies Odyssey True Line Putter
CHING Sports Fusion Juju
CHING Sports Supreme Juju
Hero Leports Co., Ltd. Guardian
Innova-Champion Discs CE Aviar
Innova-Champion Discs Nova
Obsidian Discs Oy Splinter
Quest Applied Technologies Odyssey Driver
Quest Applied Technologies Odyssey Putter
Wham-O / DTW 86 Softie
Innova-Champion Discs Zephyr...

Say, where did you get this data?

I suppose it's worth noting, and not surprising, but Salient appears to have stopped getting their discs approved by the PDGA, last one approved was the Touch in July 2014......

Quite interesting.

I have no burning desire to try Salient discs, nor reluctance to. But I sort of assume all the discs on the market are PDGA approved---except weird stuff like the old turbo-putt.

There ought to be a disclaimer on their discs that says "Not approved for PDGA play." There won't be, of course. But there should be.

Perhaps their anti-PDGA sentiments precede the American Disc Golf Tour.

Which makes me think that on the ESPN3 webcasts, the announcers will be tactfully presenting the stars and their credentials my citing PDGA events ("World Champions"), without mentioning the PDGA itself.

Very cool, glad to see the event is still on. 48 "members" listed so far, mostly ams. I don't see any info about the max number of registrants for the event, 72, 144, other? 351' for the ace is very doable distance wise, just depends if it's a fairly open shot and any elevation. I assume first ace gets the jeep, nice touch to help fill the field. $5 spectator admission and some free swag as supplies last, that's reasonable. Overall a big improvement, but still a work in progress.

Among the other things answered in the new website is what they will be webcasting. The final round is the Top 5 only. This might allow them to squeeze it into 2 hours---maybe---but would mean that viewers will be following a single card, presumably with a lot of filler as the players walk down the fairways.

Among the other things answered in the new website is what they will be webcasting. The final round is the Top 5 only. This might allow them to squeeze it into 2 hours---maybe---but would mean that viewers will be following a single card, presumably with a lot of filler as the players walk down the fairways.

Revolutionary. Just revolutionary.

Coverage the likes of which we have....seen dozens of times before. But hey, ESPN!

Revolutionary. Just revolutionary.

Coverage the likes of which we have....seen dozens of times before. But hey, ESPN!

Well, for those of us---okay, me---wondering how they were going to squeeze a live round into 2 hours, at least it's an answer.

Presumably someone will be carting the players along at top speeds, and otherwise pushing the pace to make sure they finish on time. And God help them if they stop to sort out a rules dispute.

Well, for those of us---okay, me---wondering how they were going to squeeze a live round into 2 hours, at least it's an answer.

Presumably someone will be carting the players along at top speeds, and otherwise pushing the pace to make sure they finish on time. And God help them if they stop to sort out a rules dispute.

They don't make it clear (surprise surprise) but the way I read the schedule, the "televised" round will only feature the top 5 players because they'll be the only ones playing at all. It appears it's going to be a Final 9 type scenario only they're presumably playing all 18 holes.

Even so, I can't picture the top five players at this event, playing for what we're led to believe will be a sizable payout, racing through an 18 hole round on an "Open" caliber layout. There's more than one player on their "committed" list I would qualify as a deliberate player...someone who if not pushes the 30 second envelope on many of his shots, takes at least 20-25 seconds.

18 holes in 120 minutes requires each hole be played in an average of 6 minutes and 40 seconds. If you've got 5 players taking an average of 20 seconds per throw and making an average of 3 throws per hole (conservatively), that's 5 minutes right there without any walking/riding, moving the gallery around, finding discs, etc.

Either the final round is going to be less than 18 holes (final 9?) or they're going to have to pick up the coverage "in progress" to fit in a two hour window.

That's all sort of what I was thinking. As a TD, I've panicked about finishing before dark; I'd be freaked about finishing a live round before my expensive broadcast window expired. At least with only one card, there won't be a backup on the course.

They are only showing the final 5 holes. It will be similar to the european open last year

If that's the case, I'll repeat what I sarcastically posted above...revolutionary.

What exactly are they bringing to the table that hasn't been done before? Oh, ESPN3. Whoopdeedoo.

Say, where did you get this data?

from the PDGA website, for Approved Discs

Downloaded the Excel file and played with it. This list was a simple 'sort' using the rim/diameter ratio, which is already listed. then sorted to see the most current discs, which already have a handful of 2016 approved discs that would not be eligible assuming they don't get ADGT approved

Quite interesting.

I have no burning desire to try Salient discs, nor reluctance to. But I sort of assume all the discs on the market are PDGA approved---except weird stuff like the old turbo-putt.

There ought to be a disclaimer on their discs that says "Not approved for PDGA play." There won't be, of course. But there should be. .

Their discs are just renamed Yukin molds. The discs even have yukin tooling. So they are pdga approved but under different names. Sort of a 3 series innova thing.

They are only showing the final 5 holes. It will be similar to the european open last year

Have they stated this somewhere, and I missed it? (The latter is quite possible).

The broadcast is 1:00-3:00, and the website says the final round starts about 1:00. I'm not sure that adds up to broadcasting the final 5 holes.

Nor am I sure if a 5-hole broadcast would be better, or worse. 2 hours to watch 1 group play 5 holes? And imagine the excitement if one player reaches those final 5 holes with a big lead.

I've long contended that disc golf will never be a significant spectator sport, no matter who does it or how they do it. If this is a 5-hole broadcast, I doubt it will dissuade me.

Unique salient molds:

PDGA Approved:
Touch
Backdraft
Vein
Antidote
Prometheus

Yukin Molds approved under different names:
Not PDGA Approved:
Lock Jaw
Cell
Vaccine
Flatline
Suture
Fracture
Reign
Napalm
BackDraft

Have they stated this somewhere, and I missed it? (The latter is quite possible).

The broadcast is 1:00-3:00, and the website says the final round starts about 1:00. I'm not sure that adds up to broadcasting the final 5 holes.

Nor am I sure if a 5-hole broadcast would be better, or worse. 2 hours to watch 1 group play 5 holes? And imagine the excitement if one player reaches those final 5 holes with a big lead.

I've long contended that disc golf will never be a significant spectator sport, no matter who does it or how they do it. If this is a 5-hole broadcast, I doubt it will dissuade me.

i believe it is every bit as good for watching at old golf, (which has it's own channel) because if you play it's enjoyable to watch the top level play it. The final 5 holes thing can be not great if the leader has a big lead going into the end.

it says there will be a rounds 1-3 recap of the action, and player interviews, etc. at the beginning to get the audience up to speed.

Latest posts