• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

And the PDGA strikes again!

Yea Ive never understood why innova doesnt just do a double chastity belt on their baskets. It would get rid of all the nubs (+1) and would elminate wedges completely(+1). Plus we would get to hear the sound of the chastity belt even more.

If you think getting rid of the nubs on the top of the cylinder is a good idea, try that one day. Your disc will skip off the smooth edge and sail away. Played on homemade baskets that had no nubs, total frustration

You people that passionately care whether wedgies and DROTs count or not need to get out more, and need to take yourself less seriously. It's a game. The shot's a fluke. So what? REMINDER: You're throwing frisbees and calling it a sport. Simplicity = beauty. Is it a LITTLE stupid that DROTs and wedgies would count? Sure. But WHO CARES?

You people that passionately care whether wedgies and DROTs count or not need to get out more, and need to take yourself less seriously. It's a game. The shot's a fluke. So what? REMINDER: You're throwing frisbees and calling it a sport. Simplicity = beauty. Is it a LITTLE stupid that DROTs and wedgies would count? Sure. But WHO CARES?
We could apply the "who cares" reasoning to about 90% of the topics here.

Of course, then we'd have little left to discuss besides showing off our cool dye jobs.

We could apply the "who cares" reasoning to about 90% of the topics here.

You make a good point, and I see that I worded that incorrectly. I meant to say:

You people that strongly believe wedgies and DROTs should not count need to get out more, and need to take yourself less seriously. It's a game. The shot's a fluke. So what? REMINDER: You're throwing frisbees and calling it a sport. Simplicity = beauty. Is it a LITTLE stupid that DROTs and wedgies would count? Sure. But WHO CARES?

You make a good point, and I see that I worded that incorrectly. I meant to say:

You people that strongly believe wedgies and DROTs should not count need to get out more, and need to take yourself less seriously. It's a game. The shot's a fluke. So what? REMINDER: You're throwing frisbees and calling it a sport. Simplicity = beauty. Is it a LITTLE stupid that DROTs and wedgies would count? Sure. But WHO CARES?

Usually its not a big deal but back when they did count, it was so annoying watching people take their really really floppy putters and try for a wedge on almost every putt.

I for one am a fan of the rule as it stands right now. Wedges and DROT's are just someones dumb excuse for why they didnt play good, or just a way that they can complain to make themselves feel better.

Thank you. Pointless convoluted rules are pointless and convoluted. This only happens once in a blue moon anyway. Just count it.

And I would love to play some rounds against people who actually think they could count on putting it in thru the side and watch them get donged on hole after hole, blow-by after blow-by.

But the problem is that is NOT how the rule is worded. It says it must be supported by the bottom AND the side, not "OR" the side. Plus I have a real problem with an "official" rule that says "give the benefit of the doubt to the player. Real rules should be black and white not up to discussion. This isn't figure skating!

As has been pointed out already, the parenthetical notation simply defines what the inner cylinder consists of.

By your logic, a disc sitting flat in the tray is not holed out because it is not also supported by the side...

Thank you. Pointless convoluted rules are pointless and convoluted. This only happens once in a blue moon anyway. Just count it.

And I would love to play some rounds against people who actually think they could count on putting it in thru the side and watch them get donged on hole after hole, blow-by after blow-by.

You didn't go for the wedgie, but you took the floppiest putter you could, and threw low and hard. So you were either hitting chains and sticking or missing low and potentially getting a wedgie to count. You never risked hitting high, as that would take away a "hole out possibility"

Whereas i have to aim center, so if im a little low its still in, or a little high its still in. A little too much either way i have zero shot. They had a shot low. Not a great shot, but better than mine was.

I think the rule should state over 1/2 the disc must be on the inside of the basket if a wedge occurs. I think 1 time i saw a super floppy blow fly wedge in with over 1/2 on the inside (from the outside) other than that i've never seen one wedge in even close to halfway.

Why should people get rewarded for bad putts. It makes no sense why they should count.

I think the rule should state over 1/2 the disc must be on the inside of the basket if a wedge occurs. I think 1 time i saw a super floppy blow fly wedge in with over 1/2 on the inside (from the outside) other than that i've never seen one wedge in even close to halfway.

Can you imagine the ammount of people that would be winey little beaches if they had a wedge and their group ruled that it wasnt half way in and they though it was. There would be a lot of grey area here.

And this is my problem with rules like this. In a competitive situation someone in your group throws their shot and you see it wedge in from the outside, but the rest of the group says (we didn't see it) so it's good...because they are either trying to be nice or they are friends with the person that threw the shot...and please don't try to tell me that in tournament situations, things like this don't happen.

Plus the whole argument that the disc could go over the top of the lip, hit something and then wedge on it's way back out? I don't even see how this is physically possible.

Ever see a disc go in "no chains" You can easily imagine a disc spiking in, just missing the chains then wedging on its way out.

If you think getting rid of the nubs on the top of the cylinder is a good idea, try that one day. Your disc will skip off the smooth edge and sail away. Played on homemade baskets that had no nubs, total frustration

To, me, though, that's OK. If your putt hits or even just barely skims the top of the cylinder, that's not a good putt. At that point you're just hoping for either a "shooter's roll" or luck to keep the putt in. If those shots consistently don't stay in, it's actually more in tune with fair play.

Why dont we make solid outsides of baskets so discs can not wedge in the side and take the nubs off so they dont hang on the sides?

Why dont we make solid outsides of baskets so discs can not wedge in the side and take the nubs off so they dont hang on the sides?

With about 70,000 baskets already out there, you'd have a heck of a retrofit....or if new baskets were upgraded, you'd still need this rule for 20 or 30 years for the existing stock.

A solid basket isn't necessary or desirable---just a few more bars would do it. A solid basket, unless it's plexiglass, would have the drawback of not being sure if a disc were in until you walked up the basket and peered down. No problem on putts, but on an ace run, don't you like seeing that the disc stayed in the basket as you walk up the fairway.

One of my local courses has virtually-DROTproof baskets, with domed tops. I do wish these had caught on.

love dome tops.

For the last few years I've been defending them against local contingent who thinks Earlewood should have "modern" baskets. The contingent of those clinging to tradition has a secret weapon: low funds.

For the last few years I've been defending them against local contingent who thinks Earlewood should have "modern" baskets. The contingent of those clinging to tradition has a secret weapon: low funds.

This is the only thing standing between my club having 15 world class courses all within a 10 mile radius.