• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another Rules Question. Stance.

Here's the scenario. The 15th hole is 440 and I don't get a good throw off with my Boss. The throw is down the middle with fade, but was thrown too low and without enough speed to carry thru the dogleg left.

I'm in the middle of the fairway with 190 to the basket. I know I can't carry 190 with a static stance and the rules allow me a run-up....as long as my contact point prior to release is within 30cm ( about 12 inches ) of my mini marker.

So....I place my mini in front of the Boss and leave the Boss (21cm/ about 8 inches) on the ground. Then I go to my bag, pull a Buzz out, get a grip and a release angle figured', back up a step or two and walk into an x step. At my release/rip point my front foot/toe lands on the Boss. Disc lands 18' pin high...right of basket.

Legal throw?

One question: Why didn't you just pick up your disc and not worry about all the rest of this crap??? I swear - one the most confusing threads I've ever read!!! :rolleyes:

I mostly play casually with my friends. We don't use minis, we just use our first disc or nothing at all and just eye our lie and get close. But occasionally I will leave my prior shot on the ground while I throw, and one time the disc was upside down- I stepped on it on my follow through and it slid on the slick grass and I busted my butt pretty good--- it was pretty funny to all!

lol but then there is no reason for putting the mini down. Maybe it's just me but if I intend on landing on my original disc as I release with a run up after a few times that disc isn't' going to work quite like it used to.

Last edited:
One question: Why didn't you just pick up your disc and not worry about all the rest of this crap??? I swear - one the most confusing threads I've ever read!!! :rolleyes:

I thought I explained that. I place a mini. Thats the marker I cannot go past on the throw. The disc is left on the ground behind behind the mini so I have a clear reference point to where my foot needs to land and be within 30cm of the mini.
I'm making a walkup/ x step. Its not like I just put my foot down behind the marker and throw. I need the forward momentum. If I can feel the disc under my tennis shoe, I know I am on the spot. The fact that I wear trifocals makes seeing things at my feet a little difficult and the disc gives me a big bright target for my foot.
I see guys do fairway walk ups and throw with a foot no where near their mini.

Latest posts