• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any Finns out there?

slickwheels

Birdie Member
I was looking at how many courses are in Finland, wow!
Tons of courses for a small cold climate country. I am very impressed.

I wanted to speak with a Fin to discuss winter condition play theories.
Any Fins out there?

It took me hours to add all those courses... I think I did like 80 in Finland alone. :p

I am from Estonia, its like 90 km from Finland to south. Disc golf is growing here also, 16 courses already, not bad for nation with population 1.2 million :thmbup:

I was looking at how many courses are in Finland, wow!
Tons of courses for a small cold climate country. I am very impressed.

I wanted to speak with a Fin to discuss winter condition play theories.
Any Fins out there?
What you want to know? It's pretty much same as playing in summer, but you might want to use less stable discs as you have to often throw standstills or throw with minimal run up and you have somewhat limited motion due to the clothes. You also want to make sure you have proper winter shoes as it's often slippery. Also using a spotter is recommended if there's lot of snow.

What you want to know? It's pretty much same as playing in summer, but you might want to use less stable discs as you have to often throw standstills or throw with minimal run up and you have somewhat limited motion due to the clothes. You also want to make sure you have proper winter shoes as it's often slippery. Also using a spotter is recommended if there's lot of snow.
I have been playing a lot in the snow lately. I still play well but about 6 strokes higher than normal. Issues with slipping were the biggest to overcome. I recently added spikes to the bottom of my boots and it has made a huge difference.
What is your home course and what is your favorite course?

I am extremely impressed with the amount of courses in Finland and applaud all of their effort in helping the sport grow.

I also have a sweet spot in my heart for the Finnish ladies!
Thank you for your response.

I am from Estonia, its like 90 km from Finland to south. Disc golf is growing here also, 16 courses already, not bad for nation with population 1.2 million :thmbup:

Estonia is close enough. Congrats on the growth of courses there also!
What's your home course and favorite course, I'll look them up and check them out?

I have been thinking about adding spikes to my boots also, like those slip over style

I have been playing a lot in the snow lately. I still play well but about 6 strokes higher than normal. Issues with slipping were the biggest to overcome. I recently added spikes to the bottom of my boots and it has made a huge difference.
What is your home course and what is your favorite course?

I am extremely impressed with the amount of courses in Finland and applaud all of their effort in helping the sport grow.

I also have a sweet spot in my heart for the Finnish ladies!
Thank you for your response.

Been mostly playing Kauhajoki because it is/was closest 18 hole course. Short and open, but it's nice to play in park which is usually quite empty. Now we got new 18 hole set up in Jurva so I'll probably start playing there more. This is more wooded, longer and technical course.
My fav course currently is probably Viidentienristeys in Kankaanpää. There are some great videos in youtube from there. This is just beaty.

But back to winter playing. Base plastic works better than champion/Z. I also throw Vibram and those work like a charm. Good towels are must and if the slipping is too big problem you could try some kind of thin gloves.
Spikes in boots are great, have used them too. Makes a difference when you can focus on throwing itself instead of focusing on trying to stay up.

Back when I started in 2005 disc golf was just starting to boom and that boom has just increased more and more past couple years. Back then we had less than 100 courses, now there are almost 300. Tripled the amount in just 7 years. Not bad. Unfortunately there are still too few 18 hole courses but you can't have everything.

And finnish girls.. as cold as our climate :D

Do you think discs don't fly as far in the cold air? I feel like I need to disc up all the time in the cold.

I think it's probably more due to the added clothes (less motion) and worser lies (slippery, snowy etc.). I doubt that colder air itself makes a much difference. I have thrown about same distance in distance competition in late May and late November.

Do you think discs don't fly as far in the cold air? I feel like I need to disc up all the time in the cold.

Yes, discs travel at least 10% less far in winter. ( We have 0°C here in winter and 25°C here in summer )

I think it's probably more due to the added clothes (less motion) and worser lies (slippery, snowy etc.). I doubt that colder air itself makes a much difference. I have thrown about same distance in distance competition in late May and late November.

Of course it makes a difference. COlder air is more dense and therefore you have more resistance.

THis has all been covered here on the site 1000 times. I am just faster at typing than at searching, so I am not doing a prerube. Just letting you know.

Issues with slipping were the biggest to overcome.

The most important thing about the run up is that it rotates your hip properly. You can slow it down and make realy small steps, and the effect will still be the same. With slippery terrain, just do baby steps walkups instead of a runup.

Yes, discs travel at least 10% less far in winter. ( We have 0°C here in winter and 25°C here in summer )

Of course it makes a difference. COlder air is more dense and therefore you have more resistance.

THis has all been covered here on the site 1000 times. I am just faster at typing than at searching, so I am not doing a prerube. Just letting you know.

You are probably right, I'm too lazy to check physics. Personally I haven't noticed that big difference (10%) in distances if I can throw from clean and dry tee. 10% sounds a lot though. Would probably be even more here as the climate is colder here. I have played in -20°C at most and that is just crazy :D

Another Finn here. We just had the first tourney of our winter series today, with 63 participants showing up on a -18 degree Celsius morning (pretty much 0 degrees Fahrenheit) :) 6 of them ladies too, so even our women don't fear the cold!

My home courses are Meri-Toppila and Hiironen, with Rantakylä and Virpiniemi also within half an hour drive. It's a pretty good place to live for a discgolfer, if you're not afraid of below freezing temps and snow for 6 months of the year :)

awesome courses guys, I will have many questions about them after I check them all out more.

I believe we get less distance in winter for several reasons...
1. colder air is more dense.
2. More clothes slightly constrict movement.
3. Your body is not as limber in the cold as it is in heat (stretching more and a short brisk jog helps this)
4. Leafs are frozen and deflect disc more sometimes.

What is the letter "a" with dots above it?

I have been thinking about adding spikes to my boots also, like those slip over style
I used 1/2" gutter screws. Place 1 in every tread section of boot. Approx 30-40 needed for two boots. The threads don't go deeper than the tread on the boots so your feet are safe and the big head on the screw provides just the right amount of traction without creating "footlock"

Those work great on ice but careful on grass surfaces. They dig in pretty hard and you can hurt your knee. Also, keep them off concrete pads because they tear up the concrete.

What is the letter "a" with dots above it?
It's a letter in our alphabet. In Finnish, "a" is pronounced like you do when you say "car", and "ä" is pronounced like the you say the "a" in "bad". We also have "o" and "ö", former of which is pronounced like in "dot", and the second one like what sound you make after the "b" when you say "bird". Pretty close at least :)

Latest posts