• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any legit par 72 disc golf courses?

"Ball golf" has standardized on the par 72 championship course, which usually consists of about (4) par 3s, (10) par 4s, and (4) par 5s. However, even "championship level" disc golf courses where we watch the big tournaments being played like Winthrop Gold, Smuggler's Notch, or Emporia Country Club have par in the mid 60s and seem to vary from course to course. Are there any legitimate par 72 18-hole disc golf courses out there? Do you think the future of disc golf will see the standardization of a par layout like ball golf or remain somewhat inconsistent like it currently seems to be? Would it even benefit the sport? Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

A topic, maybe a bit related?, I considered asking here has to do with earth moving and terra forming for a disc golf course as is done in ball golf.

From a money standpoint I don't see it being practical in disc golf but wonder about the possibilities.

In disc golf we are still very limited to the land as we find it. Some tree clearing or maybe a bit of building up a hill or flatting some ground, but think about ball golf where some of these championship courses are created by completely changing the land itself. Many use natural elements, but then there can still be a lot of work moving creeks, adjusting slopes, bringing in or moving large mature trees. I would love to see what the big name famous course designers could do for disc golf with Par 72 and unlimited construction budget could create.

I think in the mean time pushing much beyond what we currently see would be hard.

Iron Hill in Delaware being played in the NT going on this weekend and Renny Gold are close to par 72.
How were the stats when Ozark Mountain was used for PDGA events? It was rumored to have a high SSA back in the day, but I can't even figure out how to look up SSA anymore. :\

How were the stats when Ozark Mountain was used for PDGA events? It was rumored to have a high SSA back in the day, but I can't even figure out how to look up SSA anymore. :\
Ozark topped 70 maybe even 72. Patterson Lake temp course for ND championships has also been in the 72 area.

I think 66-68 will continue to be the max target for course designers for both permanent and temp courses, simply due to tournament timing for sometimes moving over 150 players through the course. When you see courses in the 56-60 SSA range doing enough scoring separation, playing faster, generating higher max ratings and even -18 scores, I suspect more courses in that 56-60 and under SSA will more likely be the trend.

Iron Hill par is set at 69 for the Delaware DG Challenge, according to the caddy book.

"Ball golf" has standardized on the par 72 championship course, which usually consists of about (4) par 3s, (10) par 4s, and (4) par 5s. However, even "championship level" disc golf courses where we watch the big tournaments being played like Winthrop Gold, Smuggler's Notch, or Emporia Country Club have par in the mid 60s and seem to vary from course to course. Are there any legitimate par 72 18-hole disc golf courses out there? Do you think the future of disc golf will see the standardization of a par layout like ball golf or remain somewhat inconsistent like it currently seems to be? Would it even benefit the sport? Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Jeez I hope not. I love the diversity of course types and pars and challenge that this sport offers, it's why I don't play 'ball golf' anymore, monotony. I wish there were more longer par 54 courses with crazy tough holes. Todays top pros eat up the par 4s and 5s because most take the challenge off of the tee shot. I think disc golf should make every effort to NOT standardize or follow ball golf......except the money of course.

Are there any legitimate par 72 18-hole disc golf courses out there?

In the Charlotte, NC area we have Renny Gold (par 70), Hornets Nest (par 70 - long layout) & Nevin (par 69 - long layout). Although, Hornets Nest and Nevin both usually get altered layouts for tourneys so they often fall short of their max potential pars. A couple of other courses around town have unofficial longer layouts that bring their par right around 70 as well. Not quite to 72 yet, but getting closer...

A topic, maybe a bit related?, I considered asking here has to do with earth moving and terra forming for a disc golf course as is done in ball golf.

I think the Tampere Disc Golf Center (Finland) did some terra forming. I think some of the elevation and ponds were man-made specifically for the course. That place looks badass:
https://www.discgolfpark.com/course/tampere-disc-golf-center/

I'll definitely need to check it out next time I'm in Finland...

Three Putt and Chuck already mentioned Ozark Mountain... looks like SSA was right around there but the par was listed at 72. that was my favorite course that has gone extinct.

I believe there was considerable earth moved in construction of Parc des Familles, a John Houck course in a Louisiana cypress swamp.

Tyler State Park East, long tees to the C pins was a true par 72 until the last couple years in which the emerald ash borer forced a lot of tree removal and knocked a couple of the par 5s to par 4. Though 72 at last year's Yetter, played on the post EAB culling course, was rated 999.

Do you think the future of disc golf will see the standardization of a par layout like ball golf or remain somewhat inconsistent like it currently seems to be? Would it even benefit the sport? Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
Will more championship courses lean that direction? Yes. Will leaning that direction be the norm for all new courses installed? Nope. Would it benefit the sport if it did? Not really.

I see absolutely no benefit in disc golf trying to mimic every aspect of ball golf precepts, especially in respect to this overwrought debate over "par". Using ball golf constructs to establish disc golf par is why every discussion thread on the subject turns into a dumpster fire.

Jeez I hope not. I love the diversity of course types and pars and challenge that this sport offers, it's why I don't play 'ball golf' anymore, monotony. I wish there were more longer par 54 courses with crazy tough holes. Todays top pros eat up the par 4s and 5s because most take the challenge off of the tee shot. I think disc golf should make every effort to NOT standardize or follow ball golf......except the money of course.

Nice summarization of my thoughts takman. I don't think we should be striving to make changes to be more like golf.

I'm not sure if it applies to this but the bear at Highbridge Hills is listed at 71. Chuck would know more about this but all I know is that course was crazy hard. I only played the bear proper once. It was woodland bear before that. That course is nothing like a golf course though.

Ozark topped 70 maybe even 72. Patterson Lake temp course for ND championships has also been in the 72 area.

I can vouch for Patterson Lake. It was a lot of big open shots but had the woods mixed in everywhere it could be. One of the more frustrating courses I have ever played.

Reaching the goal of producing a true par 72 course, whether blue or gold level, would be a great accomplishment but would your local casual players repeat play on it or bitch about how its too hard and takes too long to play?

Reaching the goal of producing a true par 72 course, whether blue or gold level, would be a great accomplishment but would your local casual players repeat play on it or bitch about how its too hard and takes too long to play?

I feel like this would easily be solved with some short tees. Ive played plenty of hard courses where the longs are a strong kick in the teeth but the shorts are a fun test.