• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any legit par 72 disc golf courses?

The course used at the Music City Open in Nashville this year is probably a good example of what true par 72 looks like on an "open" course. It measured 13,496 feet and 71 was rated exactly 1000. There's a drone flyover preview video up, obviously done before the course was installed, and it's a lot of open space with some elevation change. Looks like torture to me.

I look forward to watching this.

Shorewinds blue course at lakeside state park in western NY is a par 71 and plays every bit as challenging as par would indicate. I think these type of courses are great for tournament golf, but for casual, everyday play a fun yet demanding par 3 course is just fine.

During the BFDO this year, the par was set to 67 and SSA came in at a 62. The course needs to be either lengthened or have more trees for it to be an SSA 72 course. Still fun and very challenging if the wind is up.

There are probably some 24 hole legit par 72 courses out there.

IMO around par 65 is the sweet spot for championship disc golf due largely to our myriad varieties of par 3.

Again, a variety of par 3s doesn't mean we should have more of them. We have a huge variety of par 4s and 5s available as well, even more variety than 3s.

:|
who is saying we need more par 3s? most of our courses are 54 and even newer ones rarely break 63.

As for par 72, I'm not sure we want courses with only four par threes. Or sport is deeply rooted in par threes, and we have the ability to make so many more interesting par threes. And we can still make good par threes where a driver is a good choice off the tee, which doesn't happen in ball golf.

I agree completely with this.

IMO around par 65 is the sweet spot for championship disc golf due largely to our myriad varieties of par 3.

these are spot on. Ryan, maybe you forgot that the context of this thread was courses with a par of 72. the point is not that we need more par 3s, it's that we don't need so many 4s and 5s that we only have a handful of 3s left.

Again, a variety of par 3s doesn't mean we should have more of them. We have a huge variety of par 4s and 5s available as well, even more variety than 3s.

Relative to the typical par distribution on a traditional golf course (2 3's, 5 4's 2 5's per 9) I would say it does indeed mean we should have more of them. YMMV.

Foundation Park in Centralia IL is a par 72 when all in the far placements. five par 3s and five par 5s. 10,925. i dont know what the SSA is, but I would guess around 67-68.

If SSA actually is that far below par, then par is probably set for amateur players, not pros. I think this thread is about courses that have legit par 72s for pros.

what is a legit par 72 was not defined by the OP.
but for the sake of argument a score difference per shot on this course is roughly 7 rating points per throw. A 68 might come out to roughly a 970 which is pro level as define by the PDGA. I can't back any of these numbers up because there is no PDGA data on the blue tees and all far basket placement configuration.

If SSA actually is that far below par, then par is probably set for amateur players, not pros. I think this thread is about courses that have legit par 72s for pros.

:|
who is saying we need more par 3s? most of our courses are 54 and even newer ones rarely break 63.

these are spot on. Ryan, maybe you forgot that the context of this thread was courses with a par of 72. the point is not that we need more par 3s, it's that we don't need so many 4s and 5s that we only have a handful of 3s left.

I don't think we are anywhere close to worrying about that. I'd venture that 80% of holes are 3s right now.

Relative to the typical par distribution on a traditional golf course (2 3's, 5 4's 2 5's per 9) I would say it does indeed mean we should have more of them. YMMV.

I don't understand your thoughts. Would you mind expanding on this more for me?

During the BFDO this year, the par was set to 67 and SSA came in at a 62. The course needs to be either lengthened or have more trees for it to be an SSA 72 course. Still fun and very challenging if the wind is up.

For tournaments they shorten a few of the holes that play more unfairly to par three from the short tee. But either way the ssa is not going to come in at par do to the majority of open holes.

Last edited:
For tournaments they shorten a few of the holes that play more unfairly to par three from the short tee. But either way the ssa is not going to come in at par do to the majority of open holes.

Huh? Open holes can't have accurate pars?

John, you've clearly got a lot more experience than I do designing courses, and I'd like to get into the process someday, so I'm partially trying to pick your brain so I can get better, and partially trying to figure out where we disagree in philosophy.

Latest posts