• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any Sidearm Drills out there?

waddleman

Bogey Member
OK so I know there are several very good drill videos that make the rounds on just about every form critique that gets posted here, but I almost never see people asking for sidearm help/getting stuff posted for them. I'm building my BH up and honestly I might have to start thinking about switching things up, but atm I'm mostly FH off the tee.

I've been wondering though, as I've hit about 400max/350accurate(very loose usage of that word) and been stalled there ever since. I know the distance potential of FH shots probably taps out around 450ish for mere mortals, and honestly I'm not really concerned with pushing past 400. I'm wondering if there are any FH drills out there that can help smooth out a throw, get a cleaner/easier snap, help keep the nose down, etc.

If anybody knows of any videos for FH drills I will give you no fewer than 3 internets.

Watch

I'd say to watch what your disc is doing in the air and tweak your release...whether it is follow thru, disc angle (hyzer/straight), or where you are aiming. I find my deep forehands pulling left (rhfh) more than I want. The easiest fix for this is to release with more hyzer. Finding the perfect drive will require more than this..obviously, but it's a start. Best way is to go into a field with a landmark and aim for that and just throw back and forth till you're hungry.

Hammer pound seems like what I'm looking for. The other videos are nice, but I don't really need advice to use grips/weight shift/etc, looking more for drills to help perfect those aspects of the throw. Hammer pound does look like it's a good drill for working on the snap/hit for FH, really what I'm looking for. Same/More distance with less effort/strong arm and more accuracy.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19220 for anyone else who is interested.

Also don't drop your front shoulder to try to stop skying it FH...:doh:

Definately going to go out and do some field work after doing a few rounds of the Hammer Pound stuff, I'll post results sometime Friday/Saturday ish. Maybe get a video up if I can drag my video production buddy out with me.

One way that I practice forehands is to find a line of trees somewhere (like oak trees in a park spaced evenly apart.) Then stand back from them and throw shots parrallel to the line of trees that finish into the different gaps between the trees. This helps with judging distance, lines, and control. Make little challenges for yourself like "I must hit the gaps in order all the way down with 1 disc each, or 2, or...")

This is the video that did the most for me. It just looks effortless, and really got me focusing on the form, and not trying to overpower. Now over the last few months, i've been increasing the power slowly, and it's really coming along nicely.

For me it was changing up the types of discs I practiced with; you'll learn to get them to fly rather than just seeing how long you can keep them in the air without crashing :) Muscle memory takes over after it clicks and you practice it enough

This is the video that did the most for me. It just looks effortless, and really got me focusing on the form, and not trying to overpower. Now over the last few months, i've been increasing the power slowly, and it's really coming along nicely.

If a style like Averys works for you thats great but I feel a style closer to Big Jerm is where it's really at. I tried Avery's style & it worked okay, but then I switched to more of a Big Jerm style sidearm & I gained 50ft of distance & greater accuracy within a couple weeks.

Nose down issues are related to either power/weight shift, or wild swing plane. Skipping stones, throwing a football/baseball sidearm, hammering a nail through a door frame, also a golf swing are things that might help. Keep the disc on the same plane the whole time.