• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any tips on Back hand throwing?

BrianLyons

I been into disc golf about 3yrs now. Doesnt mean I play everyday,the first year I did play just about everyday,2nd year started off playing a lot and then not as much by the end of summer and this year started out just playing 1-3 times a week,but now for the last two weeks I been out everyday and getting more into it again.
Im worlds better from the first year,I putt pretty decent,good mid-range game but my driving from tee pad game is just terrible. I doubled my distance from the first year,but even from last year I stay about the same. My max distance is 260' on my best day,but my average good throw is 240'.

I watched tons of youtube videos,seen grip techniques and pull and twist motions etc. learned a lot of good tips that I used and about wind but when it comes to out right distance I seem to just hit a wall and cant throw much further no mater what disc or grip I use.

Im still a little fuzzy on what "the snap" actually is? Is it just when the disc pops out of your hand and makes that rip/pop sound from your tight grip,,or is this referring to actually snapping it with your wrist at the end?

Another thing I seen is where they said the index and thumb should be locked and makes a pivot point for the disc to spin and shoot out. Makes sense but usually the pad of my thumb is a inch or two past my index finger on the grip.
If I were to lock them point to point,I would have to lift my thumb and bend it like to a 90° to make them touch,any tip on this theory?

I try to pull it nice and even from all the way back then around half way accelerate and hold on to that disc till I hear it rip out of my hand. I tried the run of x-step "best to my ability anyway" that also didnt add much or any distance for me. So Usually I x-step but in a more compact way,,just kinda shift weight from legs and twist "if that makes sense"
I can tell when the disc comes out like it should,has a nice tight flight and might turn over depending on what disc I use and make a S curve but even when it does its still in that distance of 240'-260'.

I know its hard to ask someone what im doing wrong when they cant watch me,but I figure it couldnt hurt to ask,maybe someone struggled with something similar to me,,and corrected a problem and now are getting the distance they want. Id be very happy to throw 300' on a regular basis 350' would be ideal with the courses I play at.

Does this sound like a technique problem or a physical conditioning problem,maybe Im not strong or fast enough to get that pull I need?

I use to be deep into Billiards "Pool" and when I was learning that,I read a book and this one statement stuck with me,because it was so true. It said Practice doesnt make perfect,,But Perfect Practice Makes Perfect. Meaning if your doing something wrong and keep doing it through out all your hours of practice its Not Helping you,and Im afraid thats whats going on with me.

So anything you have to say that might help,Im open to suggestions. Thanks!

Last edited:
You've been at it longer than me but I'll throw this out there. At your distance, drivers are not gaining you anything so I'd avoid them except for throwing into the wind where they will get up to speed. One possible exception is the Polaris LS, as it powers down quite well for straight flight at a large range of speeds. Mids such as a Buzzz are great for driving while a Comet will force you to be smooth.

All I know is I plateaued right where you are for quite some time, then something just "clicked" and I could reach 300, then occasionally further. I know on my farthest drives, it feels more relaxed. When I'm "trying" to throw far, it just doesn't happen because I go back to my old "strong arming" style. I suspect that is where you are right now. Your epiphany could come at any time, so hang in there. Others with more knowledge than me will be along shortly to help.

Technique sticky would be a good place to start. I'm not good enough to coach anyone. :D

Im still a little fuzzy on what "the snap" actually is? Is it just when the disc pops out of your hand and makes that rip/pop sound from your tight grip,,or is this referring to actually snapping it with your wrist at the end?

I think it's the upper body power converging at your arm & hand.

A bunch of body motion for speed and/or X-step motion then converges on a straight line: the pull-through and ultimately the hand to disc.

You make a bunch of motion to get speed so your body can then make a lever with the arm, then if done right the body transfers it to straight line and into the rim of the disc.

Try throwing with an exaggerated bent arm, never straightening it (T-rex arm putt). There's no snap, you could do a short putt that way because it's for accuracy only, not distance.

I think it's the upper body power converging at your arm & hand.

A bunch of body motion for speed and/or X-step motion then converges on a straight line: the pull-through and ultimately the hand to disc.

You make a bunch of motion to get speed so your body can then make a lever with the arm, then if done right the body transfers it to straight line and into the rim of the disc. Something has to stretch, I think (body, arm, disc) at release.

Try throwing with an exaggerated bent arm, never straightening it (T-rex arm putt). There's no snap, you could do a short putt that way because it's for accuracy only, not distance.

Well I seen a vid,or read something,,maybe the mr beato thing "or what ever it was called" but the idea was to stand with you arms limp at your side and just twist,,and this should swing your arms up. So I got the feel of this and went to the field today to give it a try.

I was just kinda holding my elbow up,disc at my chance and pretty much just twisting while not doing anything with the arm but gripping the disc,and have to say I seen improvements. I didnt see any improvement in distance,in fact I was probably falling about 30' short of my normal distance,but for 30' less with the minimal effort it took to do that was pretty impressive I thought. Usually im ripping my arm out trying to throw that thing down the field and only gaining a extra 30' opposed to just doing the simple twist motion.

What I did see a big improvement in was the way the disc flew,some hyzer flipped,and some turned over that I never turned over before. I guess it was that whip action it was getting?

I think im on the right track here,what should I do,,just keep doing this twisting motion and should get stronger at it for more distance or do I need to add something. While I didnt get the distance I was hoping for,I was pretty happy after practicing today!

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108094&highlight=beto

This thread has a lot of vids and discussion about proper technique. Lots of long throwers swear by the Beto drill.
If you're in a popular DG area you may be able to hire an competent instructor to show proper grip and technique.
When I throw well, which is rare these days…I can feel the weight on the forward edge of the disc from the pull back with a loose grip ,through the the pull through as my grip tightens and pops from the hand. That being said I haven't consistently thrown 300 ft in 2 years due to aches and pains.

Fan grip, massive rotation, linear trajectory from.start of swing to release of disc

Fan grip, massive rotation, linear trajectory from.start of swing to release of disc

I will try the fan grip next time out,while the power grip seems to work ok for me,The fan grip just seems more comfortable. Not that I have huge hands,but sometimes they do feel to large to hold the disc in that position. I havent used the fan grip in a long time going for distance but usually use it for mid range type discs. But just holding a disc now,seems just right for me,and it does seem to lock the index and thumb together naturally. Maybe this will be another key for me,Thanks for the suggestion,I will give it a try soon!

Try to attend a Discmania "Deep in the game" shop. Avery Jenkins and Simon Lizotte breakdown the Back handed drive & demonstrate. They even have one on one tutorials.

As noted above the Beto drill is a great way to start. The reason why I think it helps so many people is the key to learning a good BH is to understand exactly what the hit feels like. Until you understand that feeling any work on your setup and other parts of the throw is pretty useless imo. So once you know what it feels like then you can try and sort out exactly how to get your body in position for the hit.

Latest posts