• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone been to Ozark Mtn recently?

lazy cake

Bogey Member
I'm planning on playing both of the temp/tourney courses in Vichy Missouri (Ozark Mountain and Akita's Run) the first weekend in October. From what I gather in the reviews, it appears that there are two tournaments annually, at which time the courses are groomed. Does anyone know when these tourneys are? If it's been awhile since they've been trimmed, any idea on current course conditions? I'd like to avoid the severe disappointment of driving a few hours only to not be able to play the courses.

Any tips/info is greatly appreciated.

The land is sold. All three Ozark Mountain courses probably go away soon very very soon. They are having what is probably the last event there ever Oct 26-27.

picture.php

It's not supposed to be open to public play anymore, so going out there the first week in October is probably trespassing. I'd call Gateway before I went out there.

Definitely out of the question now. Land is sold and is no longer in the hands of the McCormacks.

Even before it was sold, however, they didn't clear the overgrowth out until mid-October to get ready for the tourney at the end of October. It's unplayable early October.

Last edited:
Tis the danger of the private course...they can be great courses, but they are not the most stable arrangements. They come and go.

Boylan Family Farms is the classic example of this; at the time that it went out it was generally regarded as THE tournament disc golf course in the World. *poof* it was gone. Think about that for a second...it was the mecca of disc golf and we were helpless to protect it. Our sport does not generate any income for the land owners, so when other factors creep in there is nothing to fall back on to argue that the course should stay.

Ozark Mountain was costing the family money to keep. You can only lose money for so long.

Understandable, but still sad to hear. I had a blast the one time I got to play those three courses.

Thanks for the information, sad to hear about a destination course closing down.
Any back up ideas for a Missouri disc golf weekend? I'm working in St. Louis and need a weekend excursion to keep me entertained, preferably somewhere I can play several quality courses in close proximity to one another. I've already played several of the area courses and am willing to travel a few hours.

I recommend a trip to Kansas City. 10-12 quality courses there. Four hours from St. Louis though.

I'd second KC, but it looks like you've been there and hit a few of the better courses.

Quad Cities, IA/IL area would probably be my second choice. Still about a 4 hour drive.

You could roll to Jefferson City and play Joseph C. Miller... a terrific technical layout with elevation changes. We're in full prep for the Jefferson City Open in two weeks, so you may run into folks working on the course, but that shouldn't stop you. You could hit up Fulton on the way down or back as well.

Latest posts