• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone else lose their course in the ice storm?

bdamcat

Bogey Member
:( I went to my local course today to see how bad the ice storm had affected it, and I wish now that I had just stayed home. I'm going back tomorrow and take a digital camera with me to show all of you the destruction. I thought the ice would have took down some of the trees on the course but I couldn't believe what I saw today. The course will never be the same. It was "moderately" wooded now I'll have to change it to "slightly" wooded after months of clean up it's going to take just to get the trees up. Don't know about the back nine yet it could be ok except for holes 11 and 12 they are the only wooded hole's.The two towns that are joined here at the course are still without power and are saying it could be 3-5 weeks before the power is back on.

Here's the link to the course R.I.P.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1636

I'll be back tomorrow with pics..............

Last edited:
In mid December there was an ice storm in Massachusetts that closed all the courses in the state. Maple Hill and the Pyramids took over three weeks to get back to playing condition. When i played you could barely get to some of the baskets because of the trees that had fallen down.

this was the worst storm in KY history as far as number of lines down, and number of residents without power...first started Tuesday, my in-laws just got power back this afternoon, and i heard this morning that there were still over 100,000 in louisville alone that were still without power...crazy stuff...

this was the worst storm in KY history as far as number of lines down, and number of residents without power...first started Tuesday, my in-laws just got power back this afternoon, and i heard this morning that there were still over 100,000 in louisville alone that were still without power...crazy stuff...

it took my hometown (population of 10,000) 21 days to gain power back to all of its residents. plus the kids lost their february break because they missed 9 days of school.

Wow, sorry for your loss, cat. We know about ice storms - but I've never seen anything like what you folks just endured.

Oh thats not good I am headed to Louisville Wednesday for a conference. I was told by another member on here he didn't think Louisville was affected as badly.

I hope my conference isn't cancelled! And I hope the courses are ok there as I would like ot get out at least once.

louisville was not the worst hit, and most power is back on...the rural areas are the ones that will take a long time to get power back to...

this is hard to look at if you have ever played here you know it is a heavily wooded course . i hope one day it will return

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoqz4U2tS68

Yep it is screwed for at least two or three months at least.
That vid is messed up and makes me wanna vomit.
I still don't have electricity after a week! Don't know when they will come by and hook me up. Using a gererator right now. Gas is two bucks a gallon now and this thing burns up some feul! All I can think about is warmth and tossing some round plastic.

Here in cincinnati we really lucked out. Although the ice storm hit us and probably 100,000 or so people lost power it was nothing like what IKE did. From what I am hearing the courses here took light damage and that was mainly because when IKE hit it took out alott of the weaker trees then. When IKE hit 90% of the power in southwestern ohio and northern KY was lost and from what i hear and seen the courses took a beating. I did not play back then but still walked the idlewild park here in N. KY and saw the extensive damage. From I read on the local course site the courses here are not in bad shape from the ice storm.

Heard the Keriakis in Bowling Green took some serious damage. It's a great course with lots of cedars and pines. Haven't seen any pics but could see potential for a lot of ice damage.

We had our Ice Bowl in Lexington this past weekend and moved it from Veterans Park to Shillito because of the damage and the ice made Vets almost impossible to navigate. Shillito had lots of limbs down but cleanup was possible.

just played my local course today for the first time following the ice storms, and there is quite a bit of damage. lots of trees down and branches all over the place. unfortunately, some of the larger trees that were very much in play are very stripped down or completely ruined. a couple of fairways are difficult to navigate for the downed trees and branches. no baskets damaged.

In mid December there was an ice storm in Massachusetts that closed all the courses in the state. Maple Hill and the Pyramids took over three weeks to get back to playing condition. When i played you could barely get to some of the baskets because of the trees that had fallen down.

Not to be a jerk but that ice storm certainly did not close all the courses in the state. The central Mass area was hit hard but courses like Borderland, Devens, Pye Brook (although closed during winter), and Burgess (I'm pretty sure) were not damaged like the others.

Here's a good thread to see the destruction at Maple Hill though:
http://nefa.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4547

December 10, 2007 was our doomsday here. At first, things didn't look all that bad. It wasn't until the arborists began examining all the trees on the course, that we began to know how bad the toll was going to be. First the pink 'X's of death started appearing, and then one day, trees bearing that mark were gone. It didn't "kill" our course, but its not the same thing it was five years ago, and its really depressing to see the trees not getting replaced. I'm actually contemplating getting in touch with people about a possible redesign.

The course will never be the same. It was "moderately" wooded now I'll have to change it to "slightly" wooded
He he, I actually did that for our course. What the ice storm didn't kill, the pine blight finished off. ;)