• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone else truly enjoy fishing for discs?

One of the courses by me has a blind crest with water on the left and basket on the right, during the summer the water only comes into play on the most unlucky kicks or shanks. But in the spring/fall you have less than 10' between water/basket. It's common for folks to not walk ahead to check out the water situation and they're often surprised when they hear a splash when just a couple weeks ago they would've been on solid ground.

My brother in law lost one of his favorite discs in there after he drove too long trying to lay up before the water. Luckily we had a spotter and knew approximately where to start fishing. We pulled out 5 discs before we ever found his. One of the discs actually belonged to someone only a few holes ahead of us so they back tracked to get the disc.

Overall I enjoy occasionally fishing for discs, My brother in law and I spent some time this spring waking up early on the weekend and getting out for some fishing before the course filled up. It's always fun to see what folks have lost and I keep hoping eventually the good karma of returning discs will add up to me getting a disc back.
My brother in law has somewhat soured to fishing, the last time we went fishing he pulled one out that belonged to a touring pro. The disc was lost during a DGLO practice round and had somehow migrated 3 hours west. Texted the number on back, was told "oh man normally I just tell people to keep them but I loved the dye on that disc/memories it has, if you can ship it back to me I'll cover shipping and send you back a new disc"
The disc got shipped out, my BIL texted the tracking info and his address/paypal to the guy. Never heard a word again. We would've returned the disc without expectation of any compensation, but the promise/failure to follow through sucked.

Funny observation about that particular water trap too. It's only about 260' long playing the first 200' flat and then 60' downhill to the pin, yet most of what we pull out of the water trap are speed 10 and higher drivers

One of the courses by me has a blind crest with water on the left and basket on the right, during the summer the water only comes into play on the most unlucky kicks or shanks. But in the spring/fall you have less than 10' between water/basket. It's common for folks to not walk ahead to check out the water situation and they're often surprised when they hear a splash when just a couple weeks ago they would've been on solid ground.

My brother in law lost one of his favorite discs in there after he drove too long trying to lay up before the water. Luckily we had a spotter and knew approximately where to start fishing. We pulled out 5 discs before we ever found his. One of the discs actually belonged to someone only a few holes ahead of us so they back tracked to get the disc.

Overall I enjoy occasionally fishing for discs, My brother in law and I spent some time this spring waking up early on the weekend and getting out for some fishing before the course filled up. It's always fun to see what folks have lost and I keep hoping eventually the good karma of returning discs will add up to me getting a disc back.
My brother in law has somewhat soured to fishing, the last time we went fishing he pulled one out that belonged to a touring pro. The disc was lost during a DGLO practice round and had somehow migrated 3 hours west. Texted the number on back, was told "oh man normally I just tell people to keep them but I loved the dye on that disc/memories it has, if you can ship it back to me I'll cover shipping and send you back a new disc"
The disc got shipped out, my BIL texted the tracking info and his address/paypal to the guy. Never heard a word again. We would've returned the disc without expectation of any compensation, but the promise/failure to follow through sucked.

Funny observation about that particular water trap too. It's only about 260' long playing the first 200' flat and then 60' downhill to the pin, yet most of what we pull out of the water trap are speed 10 and higher drivers

There at 2 holes that I typically fish. One hole (#7) is like 250 short and 350 long and a water carry. Then the next hole is 4xx short and almost 600 long with a narrow fairway with the pond to the right and a walking path to the left. Then you have to cut the corner over the water for your approach shot. I'll find stuff like Destroyers and Wraiths and D2's where you would wind up for 7 short, text the pic, and the dude will be like, "I lost that throwing 8 long, turned over about 450 out." Then I say that I found it on the short carry for hole 7 and they are like, "Must have floated all the way across the pond. Wild."

Also for the touring pro, I suppose there is a possibility that they simply haven't been home.

At Cold Brook Park near Kalamazoo, I've heard they used to anchor a boat out in the lake and have people throw at it for prize money at league; I'm thinking at least 20 years ago. Makes me wonder what's down there and if they're in any decent shape? Probably weren't good Discs to begin with, and after that long in the water and muck they're probably nasty. Wouldn't it be cool to scuba dive for them, though, and find out?

I free dive and wade for discs. (Of course all of the inked ones go to their owners.) It's fun.

I use a wetsuit, gloves, boots, and hood to protect myself from sharp things or small bitey things, and I'm up-to-date on my immunizations. The clean-up afterward is a bit of a nasty chore, as everything is full of smelly pond silt.

I free dive and wade for discs. (Of course all of the inked ones go to their owners.) It's fun.

I use a wetsuit, gloves, boots, and hood to protect myself from sharp things or small bitey things, and I'm up-to-date on my immunizations. The clean-up afterward is a bit of a nasty chore, as everything is full of smelly pond silt.

That's hardcore right there!

In my rural Iowa drainage ponds I don't even like to go ankle deep in the water! :sick: That's why I made my dredging tool. It's a bit clunky but will ride over obstacles while holding discs!

That's hardcore right there!

In my rural Iowa drainage ponds I don't even like to go ankle deep in the water! :sick: That's why I made my dredging tool. It's a bit clunky but will ride over obstacles while holding discs!

Do you have pictures of it and directions on how to make one? Sounds like it might be handy for others that have ponds/lakes with rocks, etc.

I've debated some kind of lake rake. It is a man made pond with no wildlife, so I'm not concerned about that, but I also don't want to wear out my welcome. Security will kick out any disc golfer that they spot climbing in water. I have thought about trying to build some kind of double/triple/quadruple wide golden retriever.

There at 2 holes that I typically fish. One hole (#7) is like 250 short and 350 long and a water carry. Then the next hole is 4xx short and almost 600 long with a narrow fairway with the pond to the right and a walking path to the left. Then you have to cut the corner over the water for your approach shot. I'll find stuff like Destroyers and Wraiths and D2's where you would wind up for 7 short, text the pic, and the dude will be like, "I lost that throwing 8 long, turned over about 450 out." Then I say that I found it on the short carry for hole 7 and they are like, "Must have floated all the way across the pond. Wild."

I found a disc at my local course and texted the owner....said "I found your disc at <local course>". He texted back "You mean <course 100 miles away>?" I said "No...<local course> how can I get the disc back to you?".

Turns out he lost the disc at the other course....we figured someone found it, kept it, and lost it at my local course. I know others that has happened to, where their disc was found at a different place than where they lost it. Unfortunately, there are players out there who find discs with info on them and keep them. I lost a disc over a fence (onto private property) and by the time I got permission to go on the property, the disc was gone. I'm guessing someone jumped the fence and got my disc....a month later it turned up at the local disc golf shop's lost and found. I got it back and it was apparent it had been in the pond...so someone got the disc, kept it, lost it in the pond, and I finally got it back.

I wish finders (and stores) would call people when the disc is found. I know of a disc golf store that has a reputation for getting lost discs and re-selling them without contacting the owner. That is a real bummer, since they say on their website they get lost discs back to their owner.

I found a disc at my local course and texted the owner....said "I found your disc at <local course>". He texted back "You mean <course 100 miles away>?" I said "No...<local course> how can I get the disc back to you?".

Turns out he lost the disc at the other course....we figured someone found it, kept it, and lost it at my local course. I know others that has happened to, where their disc was found at a different place than where they lost it. Unfortunately, there are players out there who find discs with info on them and keep them. I lost a disc over a fence (onto private property) and by the time I got permission to go on the property, the disc was gone. I'm guessing someone jumped the fence and got my disc....a month later it turned up at the local disc golf shop's lost and found. I got it back and it was apparent it had been in the pond...so someone got the disc, kept it, lost it in the pond, and I finally got it back.

I wish finders (and stores) would call people when the disc is found. I know of a disc golf store that has a reputation for getting lost discs and re-selling them without contacting the owner. That is a real bummer, since they say on their website they get lost discs back to their owner.

I think some people just don't know.

I think I was playing my 2nd ever round with just a Wraith and this guy gave me a disc that he found. I didn't know that discs were different and I never really considered that the person who wrote their name on their disc did so for anything beyond being able to identify it versus their friend's disc. I wasn't really throwing far enough to entertain the possibility that people lose these things and I certainly didn't know the culture and that people returned discs.

I think some people just don't know.

I think I was playing my 2nd ever round with just a Wraith and this guy gave me a disc that he found. I didn't know that discs were different and I never really considered that the person who wrote their name on their disc did so for anything beyond being able to identify it versus their friend's disc. I wasn't really throwing far enough to entertain the possibility that people lose these things and I certainly didn't know the culture and that people returned discs.

True, there are some players that may not know. But I think the majority do know and it makes sense to call/text when there is a number on the disc.

Beginners are different - especially if someone hands them a disc - they may believe it belongs to the person and they no longer want it....or they have already contacted the owner and the owner didn't want it back.

At one course I play, there is a person known to get discs out of the pond and turn them into Play It Again Sports for the money. He doesn't play the sport....just knows he can get money for the discs. He'll even go up to other people who have retrieved discs and try to claim one of them is his.

I stopped putting my name and number on my discs this year. A disc really isn't worth the interaction anymore...at least for me.

Now I just Sharpie stupid faces or dumb poems on the back. No ink-free discs from me!

I stopped putting my name and number on my discs this year. A disc really isn't worth the interaction anymore...at least for me.

Now I just Sharpie stupid faces or dumb poems on the back. No ink-free discs from me!

I've pretty much quit putting my contact info on the majority of mine as well.

I have a stamp with a custom logo that I just stamp on mine to identify them as mine while playing but if they get lost then it's finders keepers for the guy that finds it.

I'm not fishing the water for a disc, unless It's a favorite and I want it back enough, and I've only lost two that I consider a favorite and they were too far out in the water to worry about. One of those discs prior to losing it, was stuck about 10 feet in the muck a few weeks prior. Their was a fallen tree from the bank right next to the disc, so I did a balancing act and reached down to get it back. That's the most I've done to get a disc back. I'll take a quick look for any other disc.
If theirs a name and a number on a lost disc, I'll give it an effort to get it back. Yesterday morning at Waller's Mill in Williamsburg, Va. On my second round on number 3 next to the basket was a beautiful color blue, stamped 2012 World Championships Charlotte. I knew it had to be a keep sake. I could read the first name Eli without my glasses, but not the number. I caught up to the threesome after hearing the banging of chains in the distance in heavy woods, and was able to return the disc to a very grateful Eli. He was wearing a sponsor shirt, so I couldn't help but wonder if he was a professional? and maybe participated in 2012?
I don't put a name or number on my disc's. If I want it back bad enough, I'll go look for it. The bright side, if it's lost, I'm going disc shopping! I keep at least two of my favorites.

I seldom play around water. For me it's just asking for trouble. When I find a disc, if it's not a disc that I would use, I just leave it lay or maybe leave it laying in the nearest basket. If it's a disc that I would really like to own, I will try to call the number on the disc and make an honest attempt to return it before I keep it.

Turns out he lost the disc at the other course....we figured someone found it, kept it, and lost it at my local course.

One time I found a disc here in Pennsylvania and texted the number. The guy lost it in Hawaii. He said to keep it.

My wife tossed one in a creek (and of course it was my fault), so a few days later I donned the waders and found hers and 3 others. I'm fairly new to the sport (and my mentor recommends Innova), so I took the opportunity to throw them and fell in love with the DGA Sail. Only 1 had a phone number, so I returned it. Most of the courses around here don't allow entry into the water (gators, snakes, etc.) so a retriever in cloudy water doesn't have a high chance of success.

Golden Retrievers are great... given the right conditions. They work quite well provided there isn't a lot of debris in the water.

The more logs, branches, or plant growth there is, the less effective they are. If there's a lot of stuff for it to get hung up on, there's even the possibility of losing the retriever.

But I've saved quite a few discs with mine and it's still in the bag. Using it effectively is kind of an intuitive feel thing... at least for me. But as autocross says, it helps to think about it.

It's not as versatile as stick type retrievers, but it has much longer reach. I definitely use it less now that I have a Disc Gator.

I hate people who expect the person who found the disc to jump through any sort of hoops to return their disc. Someone's trying to do you a favor, chump. Say please and thank you and just don't ask me to drive out to Timbuktu.

ive had to update my fb posts to include i found a disc that if you correctly identify it that YOU can come pick it up if you want it back

sometimes such a headache and hassle finding a disc/tryin to get it back to the owner that i leave most of them lay these days

and you know cuz covid too

Latest posts