• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone else truly enjoy fishing for discs?

Yeah, given the way most players don't distance, I haven't pick up any discs that ain't mine since mid March.

While I think the risk of contracting covet from picking up someone's disk is pretty low, it just ain't a risk worth taking from my perspective.

I drop off disks at a local store.

I've only met one person (only person that has ever offered any kind of disc/reward payment). I texted him as I was leaving, he asked to meet up at a gas station that was on my way home and I needed gas. No mask, but I was masked up and we only spoke for maybe a minute or 2, then I hit the hand sani.

Otherwise, I don't like meeting people just because I don't want to waste time waiting around for people. Which is the same reason I don't really like playing with people. If I'm going to play a course that takes an hour, I don't want to wait 10+ minutes for them to show, then another 10 minutes for them put on their shoes/warm up/etc. I'd rather spend that extra time playing another 9 holes or fishing for discs or have 20 more minutes free time at home.

I enjoy fishing and returning discs as well. Returning discs is more time consuming than most people think, especially when you fish out a lot. My main goal is to give them an chance to get their disc back. Clear communication to set up the expectation is key, and then just stick to that. I add things like "Can hold for up to one month" to let them know that I not going to keep track of it forever.

For those asking about a lake rake, I built one based off of this thread. Works very well.

I'll typically text/call the person right away and let them know I'll be leaving it somewhere secretive at the course, so they can pick it up at their leisure. Unless it's very intriguing circumstances, I'm not spending a bunch of my time/resources returning lost discs...but I will once in a while. I've had some discs returned to me from far away, and karma is real.

I also once lost a disc on a course about 50 miles from me, and then found it in the river at the course down the street from me. That was pretty damn surprising.

The store texts anybody when the disc is dropped off.

While I enjoy texting people and sometimes striking up conversation (one guy serving a tour in the middle east, people that lost their first disc, ace discs, etc), I'm not sure it offsets the people that hassle you.

Last time I went out, I pulled out like 11 discs and 7 or 8 are marked. I haven't texted them yet. I'll either text them a day before I drop them off or just let the store do it. I'm not sure how I want to deal with these unmarked discs. I've returned several by posting up on Facebook, but not sure it is worth the hassle. I feel like the chance of them getting returned if I drop them at the store is minimal and when they get donated, little kids aren't going to benefit from Stilettos and Star Destroyers and Apes and whatnot.

I'll typically text/call the person right away and let them know I'll be leaving it somewhere secretive at the course, so they can pick it up at their leisure. Unless it's very intriguing circumstances, I'm not spending a bunch of my time/resources returning lost discs...but I will once in a while. I've had some discs returned to me from far away, and karma is real.

This is what I'm going to do from now on. The hassle isn't worth it. I jumped thru a ton of hoops to get the last disc I found back to its owner. I didn't mind it terribly then, but now given the circumstances, definitely not again.

Funny story about discs getting returned....I played a few rounds with a guy last year who always writes his number on the back, but puts his name as "Jasmine". He said the rate at which his discs have been getting returned has went up tenfold since he started doing that. A lot of the courses around here are populated by college aged males, so, I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions as to why it's effective hahah.

Most people get the pic and just tell you to drop it off at the store. No thank you, no I lost it doing blah blah blah, etc. Several have told me to go find another disc. One even sent a Google map with where the lost disc he really wanted went in. I can't get to the store on days I work, so I usually tell them it may be a week or two. And a lot of people will text you repeatedly. "Hey, I know you said you'd drop it off Friday, but just wanted to see if you had a chance to drop it off today." Or text Friday at 8 AM or 3 minutes after the store opens, "Hey, what time you dropping off my disc today?" And on Facebook, I post a disc and get messages from other people asking me if I had their discs, some of them in an accusatory tone.

Have a gmail account with fake name, get a google voice number (for free), download app to phone, and text from there.

It's what I do. Don't need strange strangers to have my number for exactly this reason, getting whacked out over a piece of plastic.

Have a gmail account with fake name, get a google voice number (for free), download app to phone, and text from there.

It's what I do. Don't need strange strangers to have my number for exactly this reason, getting whacked out over a piece of plastic.

Ha! I sold an old washer/dryer on Craigslist that way.

I was able to pull them all out pretty quickly, so I can laugh now, but the nightmare happened today....

I dumped 6 of my discs out of my bag into the pond.

Latest posts