• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Anyone throw the Cyclone still?

AndrewM33

Par Member
Feel like getting one for the hell of it and seeing if it's something I like. Any input from anyone? Does anybody still throw these things? I kindof have a thing for the older molds

I bag an ESP Cyclone. Won my club's CTP yesterday with it.

Have several Z and ESP, and have always been baffled why this mold is not more popular.

It is like a longer mid, so an easy to throw and control disc, but slightly more distance that most mids.

The ESP is easy to throw and has more glide than a mid, so on tight shots you can power down for control and get more glide on a soft pull. Powered up, more distance than most mids.

The Z is a little beefier, but more reliable, so stays on the line you throw it better than most mids. It is windy where I play, so a Z Cyclone will stay on line better than most mids which get pushed around more in the wind.

Using a Cyclone is better than over-powering a mid or under-powering a fairway driver.

I have been throwing the new Emac Truth lately, and feel it is like a junior Cyclone, I actually prefer the Fuzion to the Lucid as the Fuzion is a little firmer.

Last edited:
I throw a Cyclone still. 21 years and counting. The two in my bag right now are ESP; I stocked up on them before they went OOP and have a decent stash. I still have a big stash of Tournament Pro Cyclones as well.

Cyclones were distance drivers back in the 90's. A lot of people seemed to drop them right at the end of the decade for XL's or Eagles. They are a little slower/floatier than an Eagle or XL so those discs give a little more separation between a mid and a fairway driver for most, but I just never dialed in another mold as accurately as I did Cyclones and just kept throwing them. Nothing was broke so...

I like them becasue they are very versatile. The classic "any line you put them on" sort of disc.

I have thrown the X Cyclone, but for some reason they have always been shorter than a Tourney Pro or ESP for me. That puts them back at pretty close to Roc distances, so if that was my only option I'm not sure I'd choose to throw them. Pro D Cyclones are really flip discs; they are a lot more understable than other Cyclones. The Z Cyclones I threw were absolute garbage. They flew like Vipers, only Vipers that couldn't hold a line in the wind. Some people seem to like them, but I thought they were horrible. I also hated the flat ESP Cyclones, but again some people liked them becasue they were more overstable. The mold really is crazy in the variation from one plastic to the next, so you have to be specific about which Cyclone you are talking about.

I threw cyclones for a little while. They just aren't a mold that has survived the test of time. While they are fine for a few people who still throw them you can find newer better molds and more consistency. Evey plastic type was rather different in flight. It was a nice hyzer flip driver.

When I was buying up ESPs I looked for the Walled lake variety. It was the patent on the inner rim.

Anyway it was a short fairway driver (just a hair longer than a roc) so the Buzzz really outshined it.

Last edited:
The Cyclone was THE distance driver when I started. I must have gone through 20 Cactus stamped Tounament Pro Cyclones. The mold is very nostalgic to me. Three Putt is absolutely correct, when the XL and Eagles came out the Cyclone started to fade out. It is still a great mold. They can be used for a large variety of shots. I still go back and forth between the Cyclone and the Xl as my stable to understable fairway driver. I like the X Clones and the ESPs.

I still have a Z, 173g, that I picked up back in 2005. It's not in the bag right now, but I have some nice golf throws with it and still throw it for fieldwork. Apparently everyone thought Z Cyclones were bad, but I don't have anything but respect for mine.

Have several Z and ESP, and have always been baffled why this mold is not more popular.

There's several reasons, most importantly that it's OOP. Plus most disc golfers are new school and don't even know the old stuff.

Pro D Cyclone is probably my favorite driver when new, but it gets flippy for me stupid fast so I don't bag it. I really wish ESP was still in production.

I got an old cactus cyclone in a lot I picked up a week ago. I thought it might be fun to throw it as an extra shot during a casual solo round today... I absolutely carved the course with it. It was ridiculous. Now I have to seriously consider bagging it.

I have a DX Cyclone that came with my starter set. It is now in with my practice discs so it gets a lot of use. I keep thinking about moving it back to my regular bag but now it's a little unpredictable.

my dream is for someone, maybe #reptilian #jcass, to get one mold piece from the shark and the other from the cyclone and do a limited run mashup sharknado disc.

I bag an ESP and a Z version. The Z is my go to approach and Mid disc when I want stable to ever so slightly OS. ESP gives me more fade and tick less stability so it gets some work in fairway duty.

If I had to play a single disc round it would be the Z-Clone

Latest posts