• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyones disc golf course overrun by Pokemon Go-ers driving around the course?

Maybe it would be best if you kept your children away from me? :rolleyes:

We certainly don't need more people encouraging kids to let their imaginations run wild while they still can*.

*Total sarcasm. Kids can paint the sky whatever color they want.

We certainly don't need more people encouraging kids to let their imaginations run wild while they still can*.

*Total sarcasm. Kids can paint the sky whatever color they want.

I don't know....I think a bit of light hearted ribbing, forcing a kid to explain his/her take on the separation of his/her view of the game vs. reality, is a challenge to the imagination. I am not so sure a game like Pokémon Go is providing an outlet for that.

I see we are going to disagree, bound by the constrictions of the premises of the bullying argument. I would hope all people of this planet only encountered kind, generous, and loving people, but that is not reality either. I would not be happy anytime my child would encounter anyone mean, disenchanted, disrespectful.....but I see my job to use such inevitable encounters as learning opportunities, not the chance to protect them from life. For the record, I would likely make fun of an adult I encountered playing this game as well.

Once you bring your child around me, it does become my job to teach it, protect it, warn it, nurture it....that is called, society, community...

Maybe it would be best if you kept your children away from me? :rolleyes:

The problem is this boy was FIVE. Not ten, not thirteen, FIVE. And yes, rather than walk away in a huff, I too would teach my kids that some people are jack@sses and probably give the person a few words as well.

As far as adults that play this, I've seen many. Two weeks ago my family went out for dinner. At the table next two us there was a couple, probably in their 50s, playing pokemon the whole time and not talking to each other. You want to tease them, go for it, but not a five year old child who is still learning to distinguish imagination from reality.
I don't know....I think a bit of light hearted ribbing, forcing a kid to explain his/her take on the separation of his/her view of the game vs. reality, is a challenge to the imagination. I am not so sure a game like Pokémon Go is providing an outlet for that.

I'd much prefer that my child play D&D to Pokemon Go as I'm sure it is a better challenge for the imagination.

The problem is this boy was FIVE. Not ten, not thirteen, FIVE. And yes, rather than walk away in a huff, I too would teach my kids that some people are jack@sses and probably give the person a few words as well.

As far as adults that play this, I've seen many. Two weeks ago my family went out for dinner. At the table next two us there was a couple, probably in their 50s, playing pokemon the whole time and not talking to each other. You want to tease them, go for it, but not a five year old child who is still learning to distinguish imagination from reality.

I'd much prefer that my child play D&D to Pokemon Go as I'm sure it is a better challenge for the imagination.

Well it is obvious the context was lost on you. I was giving the kid some good natured ribbing. His mother was even laughing about it so lighten up Francis.

I was absolutely not trying to teach the kid any lesson. I was having a little fun with him. He was really funny trying to explain the game to me. If parents want to let their kids play this game, I could care less.

Truth be told, if the kid had not come up started yammering about it while i was getting ready to throw my drive, I'd have just given a nod and a grin and went on my way.

And 5 was my guess. I have not had a kid that young in a decade. He may have been a vertically challenged 30 year old. Who knows.

And it was his mother that said that if they caught it it would be real. Was not going to even bother suggesting she teach her kid the difference between video games and reality.

Man, you really showed that 5 year old who is boss! Noble work you are doing. I hear there are some kids down at the local Boy's Club that still believe in Santa, you should go give them a dose of reality. At least if you are going to be a mega douche, be funny.

Well the kids mother thought it was pretty funny and since she and I were there, I think I can decide for myself who the douche is in this story. (hint: It's you)

Well the kids mother thought it was pretty funny and since she and I were there, I think I can decide for myself who the douche is in this story. (hint: It's you)

It comes down to delivery. When reading your account of what happened, it is easy to think that you were acting like a douche. In reality, it was probably pretty light hearted, especially if the mom didn't slap you. My brother in law does stuff like that all the time, and he is definitely not being a douche.

Wait until I tell the Easter bunny all the **** you guys are talking about Santa.

The best way to talk to kids is to squat down to their eye level. It also makes it hard for them to kick you in the nuts.

Once at our local 9 hole course at the local park, we saw a van pull up as we were finishing a glow round. They opened up the back doors and put down a ramp. A couple of go carts came out. They raced the go carts down the concrete jogging paths.
We didn't try to stop them or call the police. There wasn't anyone else there, and it did look like a ton of fun. We should have called it in. Someone else may have, we left before any authorities showed because we didn't want to be involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw my first PokeZombies at league last night!! Totally oblivious to their surroundings
but at least they were outside walking about. (Sorta like my disc golf game :|)

Hahahaha if you insist. If I were that paranoid, I would probably just snap my Droid in half and go off the grid.

You do realize the primary function of forums such as this one is intelligence gathering by the government? Look about this forum...some of these spooks have multiple accounts they post under.

The best way to talk to kids is to squat down to their eye level. It also makes it hard for them to kick you in the nuts.
The best way is to sweep the leg right away then they have to listen or they get the elbow drop too.
Haven't seen anyone trying to drive on my home course, but a bunch of people are walking on it with their faces glued to their iPhones/smartphones. I've often had to say "heads up!" and show them my disc that I'm about to throw. They usually get out of the way. I've had four people ask me what game I'm playing, so I point out a basket, tell them it's like golf ball golf but we throw frisbees into the baskets, and like golf low score wins.

(shameless political addition): I'm most scared that someone is going to tell everyone the missing 33,000 emails are somewhere on Hole #8 of the DGC.... ;)
No one can penetrate the depths of the hole on hole 8. Not even Russian hackers.
Although I don't play it, I see the reason many people enjoy Pokemon Go. Unfortunately for me, it seems my local course is some kind of Pokemon hub and now there are people walking around the course seemingly unaware that they are on a disc golf course.

The course is a part of a large public park with many facilities, but the disc golf course has it's own area, it is not a shared area like I have seen on some courses, there is literally no reason for anyone to be on the course unless they're throwing discs..... or apparently playing Pokemon Go.

At first I didn't really mind yelling down the fairway to explain the situation to a kid, and they were always polite and got out of the way, but now things have taken a dangerous turn. This is an Arizona course, and being July, it's naturally super hot. I guess that since the popularity of the game has grown and more people have gotten involved, some people have started DRIVING THEIR CARS down the dirt paths that wrap around the course. These are clearly walking paths and you actually have to jump a curb to access them by car, these people can't bare the heat of getting out of their car but still "gotta catch em all".

I went to throw some discs around noon today because it was "only" 105 outside. I was the only person crazy enough to play disc golf, but counted 6 cars driving around the course and it really upset me. To go from the parking lot to the paths around the course, you have to drive on a path that goes through the playground where kids play and where before Pokemon Go, I never saw a car.

This is a public city park with many facilities for people to use so I'm wondering what i can do about this? I really don't care about the kids who walk onto the course, but driving down obvious walking paths seems to cross the line, at least in my mind. Should I try contacting the city to see if they can put up signs making it even more clear that cars are not allowed in the area? Am I completely overreacting? I'm sure it's hard for you reading this to give an informed opinion without seeing the course, but I'm getting tired of walking from hole to hole and having to dodge cars. I seriously considered stopping one of the cars and telling them to get the heck off the course, but like I said, I was by myself and I'm not very formidable, so I decided to let it go, at least for today :D What would you do in my situation?

This is what Champ Grooves were made for. Just don't ink your info on them (not sure why anyone would claim ownership of a Groove anyway).

Boy if I could only sue my dad and older siblings for all the crap they pulled on me when I was five or younger. After reading some of the responses here "come and pull my finger" seems like child abuse.

Latest posts