• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Apparently Disc Golf is Outlawed in Maryland?!?!

SippiSteve

Today was a beautiful day. A day that just screamed disc golfing. So after I was freed from work, I hopped in the car and drove down to Kinder Farm Park in Millersville, MD.

Being that is was so nice out, the park was absolutely packed with people. So packed, that only 3 holes were really playable. So I decided to basically play the three holes, three times, to get in my quick nine.

I was standing at the 9th hole (the second time) waiting for some pedestrians to pass, when and old crotchety "get-off-my-lawn" type man passed. As he passed, he told me "That [pointing at my discs] has been outlawed." I think nothing of it and tee off after he passes.

The old guy immediately turns around and starts to yell at me, "Were you not listening, I said those things were outlawed. They [again pointing to my bag of discs] are dangerous." My only reply: "Wha-?!?"

"Yes, those things have been outlawed and banned for years."

"But what about those things," I replied pointing at the basket down-field.

"I guess the park hasn't had time to take them down. What you are doing is illegal"

"But the State just gave a grant to build and improve another course in a State Park!"

"I can't claim to know what those idiots in the govmn't are doing."

Yes, he said it just like that... "govmn't"

Again, all I could do is look at him and manage "Wha-?" and then walked away. I went to make my second shot, and the old guy again follows me and threatens me with "If you throw that Frisbee, I am going have the park ranger arrest you."

"Wha-?"

Now, I've been to Kinder Farm many times, and have asked said ranger at the gate for a disc golf map and score card, which was happily provided to me. Never has anyone even remotely mentioned the illicit nature of the sport that I have grown so fond of in the recent months. I am so confused and baffled by this old dude (and probably from working way too much) to mount any real argument, so I pick up my disc and leave.
I realize that I should have let the old dude call over the park ranger, and I realize there were a million other things that I could have said to this guy. I was just so dumbfounded that all I could do was leave.

I just wanted to share this experience with you all. Not many of my friends would really understand or care much about this story. I did learn two things however. One, Kinder Farm Park is unplayable on really nice days. Families and kids take the place over. Two, apparently, it is illegal to play a round of disc golf in the State of Maryland, because people could be severely injured or killed with a disc.

And just because this story needs an emote: :wall:

Again, all I could do is look at him and manage "Wha-?" and then walked away. I went to make my second shot, and the old guy again follows me and threatens me with "If you throw that Frisbee, I am going have the park ranger arrest you."

I'd have kept going. :)

HAHA, He is full of crap. But your first mistake was going to Kinder Farm. Come to Darnestown tomorrow, it will be where all the cool kids are :p

Yeah I would have let him call the ranger and then laughed at him when the ranger told him he was wrong.

Yeah I would have let him call the ranger and then laughed at him when the ranger told him he was wrong.
this :thmbup:

I'm usually polite to innocents who know not where they tread, and explain to them wher thery are and that they could get hit. But seing as this cat already knew... I mighthave gotten crotchety right back at him. "Good, you go get the ranger, the sooner the better!" Then I'd politely ask the ranger if he'd help me get Mr. "Those have been outlawed" off the fairway for his own safety.

Last edited:
I'd have laughed, asked him to get the ranger, and then when the ranger gave me the clear ask the old man (sarcastally) if he'd like to learn how to play with those 'dangerous things'....

step 1... walk over to old man
step 2... take mans cane/turn off his hover-round
step 3... laugh
step 4... continue playing dg