• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are overhands a major factor in your game?

dgdave said:
They are a big part of my game, but I don't throw them a ton. When I do, I feel very confident in them. That for thumbers. Not so much on tommies.

^ x2

I maybe throw one every 2 rounds or so, but they get the job done when I choose to throw them (or the lay dictates that I have to :mrgreen: )

There is a terminology problem inherent in this discussion. There is a shot known as an OverHEAD (Thumbers & Tomahawks) and a shot known as an OverHAND (Overhand Wrist Flip aka Chickenwing).

To answer the question, overheads are a major part of my game only when I regularly find myself in the deep rough. In the thickest of the thick I throw overheads and rollers more than anything else, hoping to squeeze through the tiny gaps I have left myself. So generally the more overheads I throw, the more erratic my driving is that day.

It is odd that almost everyone who throws overhead has a clear preference between Thumbers and Tomahawks. Personally, I like Tomahawks much better mostly because throwing Thumbers tears the heck out of my thumb.

I have buddies who throw overheads with great power and control and they are awesome to behold. They also shape them down narrow tunnels and can make them bounce/skip/hop at drastic angles.

The problem with overheads is the strain they place on the rotator cuff, one of the bodies weakest links. For this reason the overhead is a better shot for occasional use than a primary weapon.

I have buddies who throw overheads with great power and control and they are awesome to behold. They also shape them down narrow tunnels and can make them bounce/skip/hop at drastic angles.

I love to shape them down tunnels and watch them hop into the chains! I used to throw them all the time, but learned how to anhyzer. Now I am going back to them as they are fun to watch, and can be very accurate, and the newbies go ape shit over them.

Mark Ellis said:
There is a terminology problem inherent in this discussion. There is a shot known as an OverHEAD (Thumbers & Tomahawks) and a shot known as an OverHAND (Overhand Wrist Flip aka Chickenwing).

In your own video Monty Koz calls his thumber an overhead (~2:09) and an overhand (~2:15) shot. Unless 70% of his shots are chickenwings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ZQbxrr1v8

I understand what you're saying mark but I think an overhead and an overhand shot are the same thing.

Backhand: Behind the body
Forehand: In front of the body
Overhand: Over the body
Overhead: Over the _____ ( insert body part that's below your hand haha head, shoulders, etc etc...)

jsun3thousand said:
Mark Ellis said:

In your own video Monty Koz calls his thumber an overhead (~2:09) and an overhand (~2:15) shot. Unless 70% of his shots are chickenwings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ZQbxrr1v8

Wow, somebody has been paying close attention to details! :)

Merely because Koz misspoke, or slurred his words, or whatever-and merely because he knows more about overheads than I ever will-in no way should distract us from proper nomenclature. I initially passed over this discussion because I thought it was about chickenwing shots and really now, who cares about chickenwings except the chicken?.

Obviously there are no Certified Terminology Police in disc golf and terms and meanings vary from location to location but I lobbed the language discrepancy out there to let others know that there really is an overhand shot.

In an overhead shot you actually throw the disc over your head (think about the motion of a Tomahawk or Thumber).

On an overhand wrist flip you actually hold the disc in a way that part of the disc rests on top (over) part of your hand.

If you start mixing up overheads and overhands the next thing you know you might become confused about Grenades and Scoobers. Then where ya gonna be? Chaos could reign supreme. And the Supremes never made a song titled Chaos.

Ain't no mountain high enough that you can't overhead a shot over it. Just start real close to the top.

Matt Dollar does it better than anyone I have seen and that includes my limited experience with Schweb. Guy throws it on 80% of his drives and shapes some sweet lines.

I've never heard of a chickenwing, and I've always looked at grenades as just a tweaked thumber/tomahawk that doesn't fully rotate.

tigel said:
I've never heard of a chickenwing, and I've always looked at grenades as just a tweaked thumber/tomahawk that doesn't fully rotate.

A RHBH grenade with a Predator or FB will also go to the left when a RH thumber would go right. A more understable disc will go right when used for a grenade and I use a beat Force for this.

I'd venture to say most players that use overhead throws as a majority of their throws are doing themselves a disservice by not learning to throw bh or fh more confidently. That being said...these throws are great for certain terrain, whether landing or going over trees. My shoulder are too toast to throw these as our bodies only have a limited number of these to use daily and in total.

My favorite story is the San Diego kid named Carl that broke his arm twice when throwing a thumber. Also worth mentioning, overheads require more focus on your leading plant foot is to not foot fault ala fh's due to your plant foot being straight up vs. side to side ala bh. Check out the discraft overhead vid at 2:31 where Koz foot faults on his thumber.

scoot_er said:
Matt Dollar does it better than anyone I have seen and that includes my limited experience with Schweb. Guy throws it on 80% of his drives and shapes some sweet lines.

80% might be a little bit of an overestimate, but he does throw it at times that leave you scratching your head. I was on his card in the last round of the 08 Bellsouth Open, every hole under 360 he threw a thumber, and dueced most of them.

plastic_fondler said:
I'd venture to say most players that use overhead throws as a majority of their throws are doing themselves a disservice by not learning to throw bh or fh more confidently. That being said...these throws are great for certain terrain, whether landing or going over trees. My shoulder are too toast to throw these as our bodies only have a limited number of these to use daily and in total.

My favorite story is the San Diego kid named Carl that broke his arm twice when throwing a thumber. Also worth mentioning, overheads require more focus on your leading plant foot is to not foot fault ala fh's due to your plant foot being straight up vs. side to side ala bh. Check out the discraft overhead vid at 2:31 where Koz foot faults on his thumber.

I understand what you're saying and sort of agree with you on how not learning a bh or fh is hurting them. However, if someone who throws 80% overhands plays someone who throws 80% bh/fh's and they get the same score. Does it really matter how they got the score in the first place? I always think of the thought 'if it works, use it'. So as much as I want to agree and say bh/fh throws are dominant in our sport (because they are). I also want to say why can't overhands be just as dominant to players if they're better/more comfortable with them?

My only fight against overhands being dominant is the risk of injury is much higher vs bh/fh throws. At the same time, I've been throwing overhands and have developed an acceptable form where I'm not getting injured. Any sport can be dangerous, but the more said athlete trains and critiques his/her's form the risk of injury goes down. It's still there, but not as likely given the experience.

I feel like nowadays having a great thumber can help you get to that next level faster than slowly moving up the scale form-wise with a backhand.

It surely is the case these days in our area, people are learning to crush thumbers where backhands used to be the common routes.