• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are there any patents on our favorite discs?

DiscFifty

Banned
Just curious if Discraft makes a Distroyer, would there be any grounds for a lawsuit?

The Distroyer comment was just a joke...but it had me wondering in general...does any disc have a patent? Valid question don't you think?

Just curious if Discraft makes a Distroyer, would there be any grounds for a lawsuit?

That is not what patents are for. Patents cover more or less "ideas".

MVPs fot exmaple covers a lot of cool 2 part molding stuff.:
https://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1="Mvp+disc+sports"&OS=

Brands/logos are generally trademarks. Art type stuff often falls into copywrite law.

Would be curious where a actual disc brand model falls into the legalese...

Last edited:
That is not what patents are for. Patents cover more or less "ideas".

MVPs fot exmaple covers a lot of cool 2 part molding stuff.:
https://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1="Mvp+disc+sports"&OS=

Brands/logos are generally trademarks. Art type stuff often falls into copywrite law.

Would be curious where a actual disc brand model falls into the legalese...

Hmm weird. Try again:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20120322336A1/en?q=Mvp&q=disc&q=sports&oq=Mvp+disc+sports

I spotted the 1000' hole (15 at the time) at Idlewild for a couple years for the Bluegrass Open. All the big arm pros threw proto Destros. The Discraft cannons threw Forces. They all wound up in a very tight grouping by the signs.

Legacy makes the cannon.

Lol. I know what you meant. But can "cannon" be copyrighted, or does a "disc named cannon" have to be?

Last edited:
The PDGA approves discs and doesn't (in most cases) duplicate disc names. I think one time a company (maybe Gateway) wanted to call a disc "the Edge" but Innova objected that there was already the E.D.G.E program for teaching disc golf in schools and the PDGA asked the company to change the disc name.

So to answer the basic question, yes a company could reuse an existing disc name from another company. There isn't really anything illegal about it. I don't think the PDGA would approve it, though. Good luck selling a golf disc that is not PDGA approved.

Mold names can be trademarked:

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-i-trademark-a-common-word--used-as-a-business--592996.html
A common word may be registered as a trademark so long as it is not primarily the common name of the goods or services on which it is used. A term that is primarily the common name of the goods/services is "generic" and can never be a trademark. For example, while Shoes cannot be registered as a trademark for footwear, it might be registered for something unrelated, like software, because Shoes is not primarily a common name for software. It is not the fact that this is a common word that is a problem for trademark use but rather it is whether the common word is primarily a common name of the goods or services on which it is used.

Last edited:
Here's a better question: Does the PDGA keep a model/drawing of each disc they approve so that it cannot just be copied by another manufacturer?

Legacy makes the cannon.

Lol. I know what you meant. But can "cannon" be copyrighted, or does a "disc named cannon" have to be?

I imagine so. If Wham-O! can take the Frisbee name and go home, Legacy can try to stop people from referring to people who throw far as having a cannon. ;)

Here's a better question: Does the PDGA keep a model/drawing of each disc they approve so that it cannot just be copied by another manufacturer?

I would imagine they keep the prototypes they are sent. I doubt that keeps any given manufacturer from "knocking off" another though. The PDGA does its best to steer clear of any sort of legal shenanigans- that sort of thing would need to be sorted out in court.

I would imagine they keep the prototypes they are sent. I doubt that keeps any given manufacturer from "knocking off" another though. The PDGA does its best to steer clear of any sort of legal shenanigans- that sort of thing would need to be sorted out in court.
There was a story a year or two back about Jeff Homburg bringing a huge collection of tester discs to the PDGA center. I think up to that point, Homburg had them at his house. :eek: