• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Are there other discs like the meteor?

If I understand the OP correctly, he never said anything about sidearming the Meteor until you brought it up. He said that he backhands the Meteor instead of sidearming other discs (which I would assume to be drivers).

I didn't bring it up, I wouldn't, it's foolish. Read back and you'll probably find that you brought it up.

Why would you assume he grabs the Meteor to backhand instead of sidearming a driver? I read it as he doesn't try sidearming the Meteor for a shot he would with another mid. And for good reason! That's the part you can't seem to understand.

Last edited:
If I understand the OP correctly, he never said anything about sidearming the Meteor until you brought it up. He said that he backhands the Meteor instead of sidearming other discs (which I would assume to be drivers).

This is 100% what I am saying.

This is 100% what I am saying.

Oh no! I may have to take back my "this guy gets it" compliment.;)

If you're a sidearm thrower, for driving anyway, switching to backhand for an understable disc is sound strategy, but dropping down in speed from a driver to a mid like a Meteor, all things being equal(hole distance, etc), wouldn't be. An understable driver (backhand) would be preferable.

I hope that makes sense...I'm getting a little punchy trying to keep up with Ted's and Quiggy's fodder.

To be fair, reading posts by and interacting with people like ThinAir is one of the reasons the internet entertains me well. It's akin in a way to people watching in bustling places or working retail during the Christmas season, but a lot lamer.

What's kind of sad is that a new player can't ask for advice without two dudes getting into a pissing contest over a purely recreational sport that was invented by hippies and for the most part is played by very chillaxed people. But, show me a sport and I will show you people that take it way too serious.

Anyways, I will leave you guys to your dong measuring, I have the advice I was looking for and took some unwarranted shots for simply being a new player. Not like I give a rat's ass about being insulted, I just find it amusing, you guys are real winners!

Thanks to the people that actually helped me out. Cheers

I like my meteor a lot. Call it a comet for people who like the Buzzz. I find it a very easy to throw disc. But I don't have a huge arm. I've read comments that it acts a lot different with significant power (internet blabbing, so take it for what it's worth).

Im confused. So you want a faster meteor? Maybe try a lower weight icon patriot or leopard. Good understable fairways. The undertow by dga in the esp plastic is also awesome.

What's kind of sad is that a new player can't ask for advice without two dudes getting into a pissing contest over a purely recreational sport that was invented by hippies and for the most part is played by very chillaxed people. But, show me a sport and I will show you people that take it way too serious.

Anyways, I will leave you guys to your dong measuring, I have the advice I was looking for and took some unwarranted shots for simply being a new player. Not like I give a rat's ass about being insulted, I just find it amusing, you guys are real winners!

Thanks to the people that actually helped me out. Cheers

Ok dethyr, sorry for my part in the thread derail. But there's info here, peeking through all the misinfo.

So, you want a Meteor type disc in a driver, such as high glide and understable(or straight) flight? There are quite a few. Leopard, Underworld, River, Bandit, Witness...and Sidewinder, Roadrunner if you want more speed.

Hope this helps...

Im confused. So you want a faster meteor? Maybe try a lower weight icon patriot or leopard. Good understable fairways. The undertow by dga in the esp plastic is also awesome.

Yeh, it was confusing from the start. He loves the Meteor but wants something else with the same kind of flight? Said he has a Tursas that he hasn't tried yet. Oh well...

Actually, I'll let you do that instead. The thing about Discraft is that they tend to discontinue models which don't sell particularly well (see Zeppelin, Breeze, Wave, Talon, X-Clone, etc.), so I doubt that the Meteor is a weak seller or else it would have been discontinued by now, and they certainly wouldn't have released it in Z plastic.

I am supporting my claims regarding the Meteor, but I am not defending midranges with an "old-fashioned" design or slower mids, since I do not believe the Meteor to belong to either classification.

Not until they have a replacement for them first. The Meteor laid an egg in the world of midranges, so you may get your wish sooner rather than later. It's a finesse disc, a low power glider.

Yeh, it was confusing from the start. He loves the Meteor but wants something else with the same kind of flight? Said he has a Tursas that he hasn't tried yet. Oh well...

Not really that confusing. Several other people have grasped what I was trying to say just fine. And I only found out that the tursas was an understable disc about 6 seconds before I made that comment. I am sort of still learning the stable, over stable and under stable ways of the DG world. Is that allowed? or would you perhaps like to boost your post count a little more with some more subtle yet well received belittling of a newer player?

Okay, dethyr, time to stop your crying...and insults while playing the victim. Several here tried to help with comments and disc suggestions related to your questions, myself included.

And no one's belittling you're being a new player, get over it.

Do whatever you want.

Last edited:
I have to say stingray. But if you like your meteor , wy bother looking for anything else? Discraft glide has similar flight path also......and many other beat up mids and fairways, but Nothing I've thrown is as easy to turn as my stingray.

Yep. Discraft Glide was exactly what I was thinking. Discraft Stratus if you want to go even harder right (more understable).

The Stingray and Flying Squirrel both have similar flight paths to the Meteor, all three feel different in your hand tho. I've used the Stingray and Flying Squirrel a lot, but I've only thrown the Meteor a little.

Okay, dethyr, time to stop your crying...and insults while playing the victim. Several here tried to help with comments and disc suggestions related to your questions, myself included.

And no one's belittling you're being a new player, get over it.

Do whatever you want.

^^ This guy destroyed this thread for many reasons including misinformation. Considering... The Meteor IS a fast midrange with glide, the Wasp IS essentially a Roc and TONS of people throw understable midranges forehand with extreme accuracy; probably not as hard as they can but yeah. "ThinAir" must use condescension to make a point I assume because he doesnt have one.

Edit.. Oh yeah OP the Meteor is kinda unique other than say a M4ish type disc (so I hear) but yeah.

^^ This guy destroyed this thread for many reasons including misinformation. Considering... The Meteor IS a fast midrange with glide, the Wasp IS essentially a Roc and TONS of people throw understable midranges forehand with extreme accuracy; probably not as hard as they can but yeah. "ThinAir" must use condescension to make a point I assume because he doesnt have one.

Edit.. Oh yeah OP the Meteor is kinda unique other than say a M4ish type disc (so I hear) but yeah.

Me alone? Oh okay.

No, not really...Z and Ti Wasps are flat-topped, most Rocs aren't. If you don't think that has an effect on speed, think again.

You just inadvertently agreed with my point.

Flat or domey, the Wasp is a faster, less glidey Roc. Not to say it doesn't have glide. It just doesn't have as much as the Roc. The Legacy Ghost is the closest thing to a Roc that I've thrown.

I would also argue that the Meteor isn't as unique as people seem to think. There are just better understable mids on the market that don't suffer from having to be thrown fast enough to do their thing.