• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Are you going APE?

Dave D had said the Apes were acting a lot straighter than expected. Was it turning at all or did it just lack the rated overstability?

Anyway, I just took out my C-PD2 today and it was everything I hoped for, even deflashed. I never liked xcals though, they all felt too touchy and never worked well with my FH.
I expect I'll still fondle an Ape when I see it on the shelves.

I will give a full review on it in a few weeks, but it flipped up fairly easy and didn't fade much at the end of it's flight. It flew much more like a boss than an excaliber

just ordered 4 from discgolfvalues after reading that they were straighter than expected. These should work well in my bag then because I usually release naturally with anhyzer.

But I prefer this:thmbup:
images.jpg

Love it:p

Sounds like this was a bit of a bust though... If people are flipping it already it clearly isn't doing what it should. Seems the Xcal, Force, PD2 and even some Bosses are about as overstable and fast as you can get. Not sure who needs more than that though besides the huge armed pros..

aj

I didn't take the time to read through the other 22 pages. I hope no one said this already, but who is going to be the first person to Dye a piece of crap on this disc, so when they walk to the tee they can stand up and say:

"I'm about to go Ape S**T on this hole!!"

Ok folks so I really got the chance to toss my pre-release yesterday and the disc that I found it to be most similar to was the Max. I was consistently putting it on the same flight path as my star max but it was going about 15-25 feet further in flight. I wasn't able to get it to turn over and I was throwing into a steady wind as well. Right now it doesn't have a place in my bag because I would just prefer to keep my Star Max so I will move onto the Archon next to find the prefect long range turnover disc.

My first throw kinda bewildered me. I threw a 170 weight test run into a decent tailwind and expected it to bomb to the left right out of my hand so I aimed waaaay right of my target. I threw it flat and it held dead nuts straight for about 300 feet then teetered slightly off to the left at the end of the flight. The 171 Champion Boss I'm currently carrying is actually more stable than this thing..

My thoughts as well Cali. It was dead nuts straight with just a fade at the end of the flight. I don't toss a Boss so I can't compare those discs.

so it's usable predictable?

edit: won't turn over in a fierce wind, will fade back at the end

(who am I kidding? I can't throw one of these things)

so it's usable predictable?

edit: won't turn over in a fierce wind, will fade back at the end

(who am I kidding? I can't throw one of these things)

you are correct, I found it to be unturnable with or without a wind. If you can't toss an xcailber or a max then you might as well not try an ape.

I have thrown neither
I am not sure what I would need those discs for
my arm is probably better served with a FB or a stabilized starlite destroyer like Nate has for sale in his thread

I am not sure what I would need those discs for

There are some holes that require a really strong fade, and that's where I'd use the Ape. There's no wind in this vid, but often this hole will have a right to left wind that can be hard to fight with my Boss at this low throwing height.

Hole 12 at La Mirada back side course (basket is in cluster of trees):

F the USPS

My "purple" protostar came in today, more of a mix between pink and purple really. The flight plate is completely warped :thmbdown: In the middle of the ole' upside down boiling water trick....

Has anyone else noticed how sharp the inner rim is?

If I like this disc and keep it, I'm taking some fine grain to that and smoothing that out.

I got a orange proto thats marked 175 but i scaled it to 178.9. that should be a meat hook for sure

Latest posts