• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Arroyo Disc Golf Basket

Are you going to sue courses that re-work their configuration into what your basket has? Not being a dick, just curious. Also, would softer putts fall out a lot more when you hit the "am" side of the chains because of the more stout chain design?

No. Honestly that's just stupid. First, what would be the point? Everyone involved would be losing money in a petty lawsuit, the type of which I despise, and which happens far too often in this country.

Second, the current chain racks and poles cannot be modified (without substantial work & cost) to work to accommodate the Vortex chain configuration. There aren't enough attachment points for our inner set, and no way to support the lower ring of our outer set. People can try to modify their existing chains, but the liklihood is that they'll make many of the same mistakes that we did when we started to design the Vortex, and end up pulling the inner chains inward and creating larger gaps than already exist.

The purpose of patenting our design is not to keep people from changing what they own to try and make it better, but to protect what we see as the next great evolutionary step for disc golf. The larger companies have the capital to make these changes quickly, and produce baskets faster than we will initially be able to as a new company. Eventually we may licence rights to our chain design, and you may see other companies put them out, but they will be paying royalties. There are no plans for that to happen though.

To answer your question about soft, weak side putts: no they will not fall out more. As long as you're getting 50-60%+ of your disc to hit the chains, and the disc is relatively horizontal, it should stick. As you increase the angle on your putt (obvs fading away from the center pole) your chance of chaining out increases, as would throwing at the edges of the target area with more speed. Obviously its hard to answer this question without seeing your angle of putt and where you're hitting the chains, but at the very worst it will only be the same as current baskets; but the fact remains that it does catch more than anything else, and I believe you will not chain out as much on the Vortex.

Last edited:
BTW Bergdawg. I started a poll on this, and my side is losing. So, I admit that it looks like I may have been wrong here.

In the words of Michael Scott: "It takes a big man to admit you're wrong, and I am that man."

Does that mean i was right:p

Speaking as someone with crappy vision. the top band on Innova/Lat64/Discmania baskets actually makes them quite a bit more visible for me. Are there any plays for an Arroyo model with a top band?

Speaking as someone with crappy vision. the top band on Innova/Lat64/Discmania baskets actually makes them quite a bit more visible for me. Are there any plays for an Arroyo model with a top band?

I also like top bands on baskets in general. It would provide a way to hide the nubs and looks perdy...:p

Plus they have a natural "Denied" sound that emanates from them when you hit them.

I also like top bands on baskets in general. It would provide a way to hide the nubs and looks perdy...:p

Plus they have a natural "Denied" sound that emanates from them when you hit them.

from arroyo's website:

You know what sucks?

Having the perfect putt go through the chains and fall out the other side.
Being robbed of an ace because you put a little to much hot sauce on your drive
Chipping your favorite putter on the top band of a basket.

I never thought the top bands would cause damage to my discs... :confused:

I had a band slice the bead on my putter. :(

I know, lousy putt so it was my own fault yada, yada, yada...

the top rings on the custom baskets @ beaver ranch/ conifer are tilted inward making putts able to slip by the "chastity belt".. There's probably a good joke there somewhere.. I look forward to seeing these new baskets, I realize that most municipals won't be sh!tcanning their old baskets, but new courses may be in the market if they are comparable. I always get a kick out of different types of baskets at courses, from the Aspen basket @ phantom falls, to the Red Monster (can't remember the course), to swinging baskets at some of the other courses. Innovation is great. and so is variety. I also understand that spitouts are part of the game, just like rim shots in ball golf or hitting the upright in football, to me there has to be an element of chance. I've had great putts blown down at the last second by the wind, we all have, it's just part of the game and one of the variables that makes it interesting.

the top rings on the custom baskets @ beaver ranch/ conifer are tilted inward making putts able to slip by the "chastity belt".. There's probably a good joke there somewhere.. I look forward to seeing these new baskets, I realize that most municipals won't be sh!tcanning their old baskets, but new courses may be in the market if they are comparable. I always get a kick out of different types of baskets at courses, from the Aspen basket @ phantom falls, to the Red Monster (can't remember the course), to swinging baskets at some of the other courses. Innovation is great. and so is variety. I also understand that spitouts are part of the game, just like rim shots in ball golf or hitting the upright in football, to me there has to be an element of chance. I've had great putts blown down at the last second by the wind, we all have, it's just part of the game and one of the variables that makes it interesting.

Are you trying to revive the spit-out thread???

But for reals, I agree with you about innovation in baskets and how they are installed. Hanging baskets are the greatest and most terrifying things ever in my opinion.

I wish that the Arroyo baskets or even Mach baskets had the bands around the top, if for nothing more than visibility, but I also appreciate the definite denial when my putt is way to high...don't appreciate the ricochet off that tends to go a ways, but it was my fault the original putt sucked anyway, right?

I am really looking forward to trying out the Vortex basket. I think the inner chain diamond design to stop spit-outs is ingenious and I think a lot of players will be very excited knowing this flaw in current basket design will be eliminated with this basket. I also like the idea that nubs and sharp edges are removed increasing the longevity of my putters. To Arroyo, you mentioned that you have to change the spacing of the basket to prevent disc from falling out or coming through, will this change also prevent wedgies (which are no longer good)?

As far as some players posting that spit-outs are part of the game and it shouldn't be changed, sorry I disagree with you 100%. Just finished playing a monthly at our local course and the one thing I find players talking most and are irritable about is missed putts due to spit-outs. I had a discussion with several players about the Vortex basket and received a lot of positive feedback and happy faces. If you hit the center target the putt should be good period.

As a spin putter I don't have many spit outs, but when I tried push putting while releasing with a slight hyzer angle, I started to experience a lot more spit-outs, where my disc would hit between the 2nd to 3rd chain from the side and slide through these easy to see gaps. Two problems I see with spin putting: 1) hitting dead center pole and the putt is kicked straight back out of the basket, and 2) hitting low center pole and tray and the disc hops back out. How does the new Vortex basket fair to these two issues?

This is my experience with current baskets in use and would like to hear others chime in as well as how the Vortex compares:
The two baskets used in San Diego are Mach IIIs and Discatcher Pros. As a spin putter, I find the Discatchers catch/grab the disc more and I feel that I can really put a lot of power behind my putt. Also, with the deeper tray, I do not have the disc hopping out. The problem I have with this basket is that it takes a lot of chunks out of my disc if my disc rides the top. With Mach IIIs, I feel that I have to take a tad off the speed of my putt because the chains do not catch as well if I am not exactly center and I have more issues with the disc popping out of the tray.