• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Arroyo Disc Golf Basket

I am really looking forward to trying out the Vortex basket. I think the inner chain diamond design to stop spit-outs is ingenious and I think a lot of players will be very excited knowing this flaw in current basket design will be eliminated with this basket. I also like the idea that nubs and sharp edges are removed increasing the longevity of my putters. To Arroyo, you mentioned that you have to change the spacing of the basket to prevent disc from falling out or coming through, will this change also prevent wedgies (which are no longer good)?

As far as some players posting that spit-outs are part of the game and it shouldn't be changed, sorry I disagree with you 100%. Just finished playing a monthly at our local course and the one thing I find players talking most and are irritable about is missed putts due to spit-outs. I had a discussion with several players about the Vortex basket and received a lot of positive feedback and happy faces. If you hit the center target the putt should be good period.

As a spin putter I don't have many spit outs, but when I tried push putting while releasing with a slight hyzer angle, I started to experience a lot more spit-outs, where my disc would hit between the 2nd to 3rd chain from the side and slide through these easy to see gaps. Two problems I see with spin putting: 1) hitting dead center pole and the putt is kicked straight back out of the basket, and 2) hitting low center pole and tray and the disc hops back out. How does the new Vortex basket fair to these two issues?

This is my experience with current baskets in use and would like to hear others chime in as well as how the Vortex compares:
The two baskets used in San Diego are Mach IIIs and Discatcher Pros. As a spin putter, I find the Discatchers catch/grab the disc more and I feel that I can really put a lot of power behind my putt. Also, with the deeper tray, I do not have the disc hopping out. The problem I have with this basket is that it takes a lot of chunks out of my disc if my disc rides the top. With Mach IIIs, I feel that I have to take a tad off the speed of my putt because the chains do not catch as well if I am not exactly center and I have more issues with the disc popping out of the tray.

Pat, thanks for your kind comments! We have to shrink the holes in the cage so that we meet PDGA Championship standards and our basket can be used in any level event. We've looked at a couple ways of doing this, and we're going to end up adding spokes instead of an extra ring. So the basket that you've all seen will hardly be any different than the finished model (probably 14 spokes vs the current 12). I was merely using the wedgie reference as a potential reason for the rule change that we have to meet. I do not know the exact reason that the specs were changed.

As far as how the Vortex fairs with the placements of spin putt you asked about: You will get no spit out on either. A putt on the Vortex will never impact the center pole the way that you're used to on current baskets. The inner chains act to cradle the disc and absorb all of it's remaining energy, preventing it from touching the center post with any speed, if at all.

I also have been a victim of the hop out, as you put it. This isn't a problem on the Vortex because there isn't anything with enough tension to hit that low. There is not sleeve rising above the bottom plane of the basket that you could bounce off of, and the outer chains have such a low tension that they will drop you straight down, not bounce you off. If you somehow did manage to bounce off the bottom plane of the basket, your disc would have to hop 8.5" up to get over the rim, not to mention back through the droop of the outer chains. Not going to happen.

Attn SoCal peeps...

The Vortex will be on display and ready for testing at the OG Monthly on Sunday 8/28. Come out and give it try!
Why go to a monthly when on the same weekend you can go to San Diego's best PDGA sanctioned event, the Sun Valley Open? We are going to have a sold out event, 144 players. $1,000 guaranteed for 1st place MPO and skins match. My suggestion, Arroyo bring out the Vortex to the SVO!!!

Why go to a monthly when on the same weekend you can go to San Diego's best PDGA sanctioned event, the Sun Valley Open? We are going to have a sold out event, 144 players. $1,000 guaranteed for 1st place MPO and skins match. My suggestion, Arroyo bring out the Vortex to the SVO!!!

The ADS guys are OG locs, so they're showing love to Where It All Began...
Plus I personally requested that they bring out one of the prototypes to our monthly.

All I can say is you should sell the heck out of them if marketed correctly. Only real competition is what can you do on pricing for a 9 or 18 basket order? Innova DisCatchers are under $300 each when ordering 9 or more...

Tim S.

The ADS guys are OG locs, so they're showing love to Where It All Began...
Plus I personally requested that they bring out one of the prototypes to our monthly.

Gentlemen, gentlemen! We will eventually be getting a basket to both areas, possibly even splitting our time and doing the monthly and SVO if we can get another basket here. It's important for us to show SD because of all the new courses you guys are constantly working on, and it's important for OG because we're changing the sport from where it began... but most important is for us to have a polished product up for sale in the next month. That's where the majority of our focus is. Until then we only have one of our prototypes left to show you, but don't fret! You'll all see 'em soon enough ;)

All I can say is you should sell the heck out of them if marketed correctly. Only real competition is what can you do on pricing for a 9 or 18 basket order? Innova DisCatchers are under $300 each when ordering 9 or more...

Tim S.

Tim,

Individually they'll sell for $350, far below what any of the other major companies sell their championship baskets for. In orders of 9-26, they run $320, a very comparable price when you're getting a far superior product from a much smaller company. Orders of 27+ will be $290/basket, and a free practice basket will be included. These prices do not include shipping or tax.

Sounds good...

I assume those prices include the mounting sleeve too, correct? And is the pricing the same for a practice basket? I'm interested in orderering a practice basket for my backyard.

Good luck to you guys, and it was nice meeting you and throwing a few discs at them at Worlds. :)

Tim S.

Last edited:
Sounds good...

I assume those prices include the mounting sleeve too, correct? And is the pricing the same for a practice basket? I'm interested in orderering a practice basket for my backyard.

Good luck to you guys, and it was nice meeting you and throwing a few discs at them at Worlds. :)

Tim S.

Yes, the price includes either a sleeve and locking pin, or a portable stand. We have plans to release a true, top level, all metal portable with one gauge smaller metal and a split pole for $250, but no timeline for that yet.

I was going to purchase 18 innova discatcher pros for a new course, but I may just talk to the park & rec director about getting these instead...

I would love to see this replace every basket with that damn chastity belt.

I actually really like the chastity belt. They are very visible from a distance and don't block any putts that woulda been in. Sometimes it's hard seeing gray/silver on a course you don't know. Especially with trees in the way. Anyone complaining about the chastity belt being in the wya of a good putt, doesn't know what a good putt is.

I was going to purchase 18 innova discatcher pros for a new course, but I may just talk to the park & rec director about getting these instead...

I actually really like the chastity belt. They are very visible from a distance and don't block any putts that woulda been in. Sometimes it's hard seeing gray/silver on a course you don't know. Especially with trees in the way. Anyone complaining about the chastity belt being in the wya of a good putt, doesn't know what a good putt is.

Get some kingpin bro,they are awesome,extremely visible,and solid catching:thmbup:

I'm also looking at hoping to get a course put in the ground in the not too distant future and with that price point will consider arroyo.

Plus I've already told the wife it's my plan to get one as a practice basket.

When are you looking to put this course in, and where are you located?

We are having a fundraiser tournament in September, and any other fundraising + sponsorship we are doing is going to the course. Probably do a lot of clearing this fall. Really depends on the money we make at the tourney, but I would say rough estimate for basket purchase to be anywhere from October to spring of next year. I'll pm you my email and we can talk more about it that way.

Fairfield, Iowa is where the course will be.

I apologize for not reading all 22 pages of this, but where can I see a picture or video of this basket? Thanks