• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ask Chris Hysell the angry old Discraft Pro

WTF, why don't you throw mids?

http://www.discraft.com/team_hysell.html

Also, what is your favorite OOP Discraft mold?

I started throwing mids in 2012. I guess I never really attempted it because I typically approach with a forehand shot. I had an injury at the beginning of 2012 and forced myself to go predominantly to my backhand.

I evolve. I always throw whatever the latest and greatist disc is. I guess I liked the Talon a lot but it eventually left my bag.

Chris,

For those who may not know...explain how you've won so many tourneys without having a huge arm.

There are many reasons. If you play in a lot of events the odds are you will win a few. I've also picked events that fit my game. I've always been an accurate driver with a good approach and putt. On tighter, more technical courses I have always felt like that was my advantage. I know i'm not going to win on big, booming wide open courses. I play them but I rarely win.

Chris your pic on the DC site of you flicking an orange disc makes me giggle. Why is that?

I giggled to. I used to hate seeing pics of myself. Now i'm able to see the clown that everyone else sees. I often practice making faces in the mirror while washing my hands.

Mr. Heysell,
I wish to see how dilapidated your putting Challenger is. And I would also like to know if I will be seeing you at this year's Breeze & Treeze?

I putt with a magnet. I recently posted a pic on the Discraft All Day Facebook page. It's beat up.

I wish I was able to play Breeze and Treeze. It's normally in May and I already have 8 PDGA events in 2 states on my calendar for May. Maybe next year. My 1st pro win was at Lums so I still attempt to get there once a year for nostalgia.

Hey Chris,

Why won't you answer these good peoples' queries? They have come a long way to drink from the bottomless cup that is your knowledge.

This thread was started after 9:00 on a week night. I am typically in my gym working out or walking on my eliptical in the 9:00-10:00 time slot. I usually watch Big Bang Theory on TBS. My life has structure.

Have you ever missed an ODDs event?
can you still beat Austin at Loriella?

I have never missed an ODDS event. Yes, I can beat Austin at his home course. Not because of skill but because of intimidation. Eventually he will crush me because of all of my coaching.

Last edited:
Chris, with so many aces, what is your longest ace?

I have many aces in the 300 ft range but my longest was on a 350 ft blind turnover hole. I threw a backhand and wasn't sure where it finished. I didn't think I could reach the hole so the group was looking with a clock on it. Someone on the hole in front of us came walking back to get their mini and asked if that was my disc in the basket. Doh.

I see you like the BBT. Who is your favorite character?

Also are you still against putter driving?

how did you injure yourself?

didn't mean to call you that...

I see you like the BBT. Who is your favorite character?

Also are you still against putter driving?

how did you injure yourself?

didn't mean to call you that...

I just started watching BBT. I've only seen about 10-15 episodes.

As someone who always threw forehand I never had a use for putter driving. Now I do it often with Zones.

I've had 2 right shoulder surgeries and now my left shoulder is shot. I don't have any cartilege left. It's some hereditary thing that many of my family members have had. They told me to suck it up and i'll always have discomfort. I'll survive. I've begun to get used to it. In the waking hours it's manageable. It really affects my sleep more than anything.

I've had 2 right shoulder surgeries and now my left shoulder is shot. I don't have any cartilege left. It's some hereditary thing that many of my family members have had. They told me to suck it up and i'll always have discomfort. I'll survive. I've begun to get used to it. In the waking hours it's manageable. It really affects my sleep more than anything.

I can empathize.
Shoulder problems can be managed during the day, it's the sleep that get FUBAR'd.

There are many reasons. If you play in a lot of events the odds are you will win a few. I've also picked events that fit my game. I've always been an accurate driver with a good approach and putt. On tighter, more technical courses I have always felt like that was my advantage. I know i'm not going to win on big, booming wide open courses. I play them but I rarely win.

he has also always had MAD recovery skills.

I can empathize.
Shoulder problems can be managed during the day, it's the sleep that get FUBAR'd.

In the daytime if i'm busy or playing disc golf I don't really think about it. My most painful daytime position is when i'm at a museum or just standing around observing something. When I cross my arms to relax there is a position where my shoulders drop down and lock into a painful place. It's difficult to get my arms unlocked without pain. The same thing happens when I try to sleep. Relaxation is a myth.