• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Avery Jenkins leaves PDGA Board of Directors

You honestly believe that people who win a popularity contest among the people who play disc golf are the most qualified to run a business? I think it's great that actual players and TDs have a voice, and that we have a voice through them, but I'm a whole lot more comfortable with how they spend our million+ in dues if they have folks with real business experience appointed to the board to supplement those we elect. I have lots of issues with the PDGA, having some of the board members appointed isn't on that list.

Nothing stops any board from appointing executive officers to advise on business, marketing, comms, etc. The Board should be charting the future plan based on the advice of qualified people.

This guy hates the PDGA. You have already made your opinions known many times.

When your opinion is obviously slanted, it isn't really valid anymore.

They are appointing the next high vote-getter from this past election. I don't see what's wrong with that at all.

That's the most ridiculous statement. If an opinon isn't slanted it's not an opinion anymore...is it? What's your opinion on the matter?....oh wait it's your opinion so it's SLANTED. Really ? Thanks for your input mr. State Coordinator. Sorry I had negative things to say about your precious organization.

What is a KY-dis-chippy? You seem to enjoy getting chippy and dissing people.....do you then use KY to smooth it all over? :D

They're the next highest vote getters in the last election, so they're not really appointed, just the next runners up in votes, so they now get in.

Nope, they are still appointed.
Your post explains why these folks were appointed. (by the way, that seems like a fine reason to appoint these qualified people)

But 3 of the 7 PDGA BOD members were appointed, not elected.

Avery submitting his resignation is the most active thing he has done on the board in a while.

He missed multiple board meetings this year (check the minutes) and didn't even attend the summit which was at the same time and location as a National Tour Event.

This resignation is long overdue. I like Avery personally and enjoy the conversations I have with him, but his absence each meeting is excusable.

How can he be on the BOD and be excused from meetings? And why is this acceptable MTL?

Just kidding, I could less about the PDGA and the politics associated with the sport. I have renewed my membership since I started in 2000 just to play tourneys. Whatever they do with my membership $ is fine with me.

Anyone who has ever been on a "board" knows that it consumes a lot more time, thought, and patience than you could imagine. Sometimes it is so frustrating that you want to quit.

And then sometimes, you remember that you are on that board to make the lives of other people more enjoyable and better.

The problem with elections is that they don't assure that the organization is going to have a qualified person on board who knows how to take the organization's financial figures to fill one of these out....

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/11FinancialStatements990Website.pdf

Wasn't that an exciting read? Having been a union local sec/treas in the past, I know that's one form that you don't want to take willy nilly if you want to keep your not for profit status.

Stuff like that, which message board gadflys don't ever take into account, is why a guy like Bob Decker keeps getting appointed. Having to deal with similarly dry, not terribly fun commitments like attending meetings is why guys like Dave Feldberg and now Avery Jenkins gave up their seats.

Wonder how long until the Players Association forms....

Near as I can remember, the PDGA IS a players organization. Started by Ed, given to the players, and here we are today. Perhaps what is needed is two orgs like ball golf, i.e. the USGA to set the rules (and run the Amateur ranks) and the PGA to bring in the $$ for (a limited few) pros.

"You beat me because your stance was 5 cm off center off your mini" is what happened to the RDGA...:)

How can he be on the BOD and be excused from meetings? And why is this acceptable MTL?

Just kidding, I could less about the PDGA and the politics associated with the sport. I have renewed my membership since I started in 2000 just to play tourneys. Whatever they do with my membership $ is fine with me.

Context shows it was a typo. I clarified a few posts later - beyond the time I could edit - the error. Clearly UNexcusable.

Context shows it was a typo. I clarified a few posts later - beyond the time I could edit - the error. Clearly UNexcusable.

Don't apologize for a thing, M. My sources tell me that Avery had doctor's notes excusing him from those meetings. Apparently, he frequently comes down with an allergic reaction known as arborealitis.

Latest posts