• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axiom Envy

I play with those guys too.

One of them actually threw a putter off the tee on a 185' hole the other day which was a rare sight to see. Pretty sure he even managed the birdie. He throws drivers for pretty much everything but it does seem to work for his game for the most part.

I get people asking me about a driver that goes straighter all the time, because everything they throw hooks up and fades hard. They need something that fades straight on a 200' hole..

Oddly enough, 3 or 4 of em have Relays now and it's their "longest disc" . They can even get them further than destroyers. And "destroyers are supposed to be real far discs!" Haha.

Kinda silly with the exception of one guy "flickmaster Jay" ... he flicks a beast for putts, I'm shocked he got some Colts last year and uses em but he's a huge asset as a partner. Well not for me, I'm a lefty...

Last edited:
I play with those guys too.

One of them actually threw a putter off the tee on a 185' hole the other day which was a rare sight to see. Pretty sure he even managed the birdie. He throws drivers for pretty much everything but it does seem to work for his game for the most part.

Throwing putters is something that I learned with wizards but love with envy's. And it's kind of surprising how often it can be overlooked. I played a course that was new to me this week and on several of the 450' par 4's I was throwing my envy or my pure to get to a specific landing zone to have a nice approach for birdie. I knew I couldn't gobble it all up in one throw and if I were to risk that, I'm either in the woods or still an approach shot away from birdie.

Throwing putters is something that I learned with wizards but love with envy's. And it's kind of surprising how often it can be overlooked. I played a course that was new to me this week and on several of the 450' par 4's I was throwing my envy or my pure to get to a specific landing zone to have a nice approach for birdie. I knew I couldn't gobble it all up in one throw and if I were to risk that, I'm either in the woods or still an approach shot away from birdie.

Same. I can't get a putt on those 450+' holes anyways but I can easily throw two putter shots and be under the basket for a drop in par.

Course management is severely underrated.

My regular playing partner is a longer and more accurate distance driver than me, has a great forehand whereas I'm backhand only outside of 250', he putts from distance better than me, and we make a similar amount of C1 putts. And yet I beat him about half the time. Why? I manage the course better and can get up and down on approach shots better.

At face value it would seem that his skillset is far superior to mine, but being able to set a realistic and executable game plan can make up for a lot of physical disadvantages.

Okay. I've thought about this a lot, and asked similar questions other places. But....

If a guy wanted to completely overhaul the throwing putters in his bag, and only bag one mold, how hard would it be to get Envies off the shelf, without much work, to achieve:

1) decently OS flight
2) straight/stable flight
3) an easy turning/mild flippy flight (assuming this is the toughest/time intensive one)

I currently bag an ion, a particle, and an anode to throw. Would be interested to cover those lines with just one mold.

I don't know about baseline Envies, but Neutrons take FOREVER to get an easy turn out of. You could try the Proxy, which feels exactly the same as the Envy, but flies less stable out of the box.

Okay. I've thought about this a lot, and asked similar questions other places. But....

If a guy wanted to completely overhaul the throwing putters in his bag, and only bag one mold, how hard would it be to get Envies off the shelf, without much work, to achieve:

1) decently OS flight
3) an easy turning/mild flippy flight (assuming this is the toughest/time intensive one)

1) soft neutron max weight envy (most fade but less hss) or a neutron or plasma (more hss, touch less lss, long cycles).

2) eclipse envy

2.5) heavy electron envy firm and a soft (2.75) :D

3) electron soft 167

With the electrons it pays to have a couple to start cycling, just grab one in a firmness you prefer and beat on em. I like the soft.. With a month of play you will see some changes to straight, 3 months and it will be flippy but stay there.

Neutron typically beats into the straightest of the premium plastics the fastest (year or two :D)

Last edited:

1) decently OS flight

I currently bag an ion, a particle, and an anode to throw. Would be interested to cover those lines with just one mold.
Electron will still take a bit to become flippy, unless you have above average power. You cloud buy some pre-owned Envys to get the ball rolling. I'm bagging Proxys until I have Envys that flippy.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

1) decently OS flight

Super easy to do.

Cosmic neutron is my beefiest and would fit that mildly "overstable" slot. I have a plasma that flies pretty close as well.

Just about any of the electrons will handle the more neutral type of flight. If you work it right even a fresh one can can hold straight, hyzer, or anhyzer lines very well.

With a little time on your favorite electron it will soon be that understable Envy and you just add a fresh one to replace it in that neutral/stable slot.

If Ion is your "decently OS" putter, I would think a premium Envy on the heavy side could substitute nicely. As I recall they flew pretty similarly, but it has been years since I tossed an Ion.

You could try the Proxy, which feels exactly the same as the Envy, but flies less stable out of the box.

That is what I recently switched to:

1) Medium Harp
2) Electron Soft Envy
3) Electron Soft Proxy

When I get a stack of beat-up Soft Envys I will see whether I still need the Proxy.

If Ion is your "decently OS" putter, I would think a premium Envy on the heavy side could substitute nicely. As I recall they flew pretty similarly, but it has been years since I tossed an Ion.

Funny story. If you bag an Envy and an Ion and aren't paying attention and throw the Ion thinking you're throwing the Envy you'll know pretty quick that the two discs are less similar than you remember. Just don't ask how I know.

Funny story. If you bag an Envy and an Ion and aren't paying attention and throw the Ion thinking you're throwing the Envy you'll know pretty quick that the two discs are less similar than you remember. Just don't ask how I know.

Ha. I never threw them side by side. But I used to have a Whippet in the same yellow DX as a beat-up Roc. That was occasionally quite entertaining.

Flight numbers suggest Envy should be a touch more overstable than the Ion. Was that your experience?

Flight numbers suggest Envy should be a touch more overstable than the Ion. Was that your experience?

Probably somewhat dependent on plastics I'm sure. I haven't bagged an Ion for quite a while but when I did I had it and an Envy that were both in neutron plastic. On a flat throw they both went pretty straight but the Envy always had a dependable finish where the Ion would more than often finish straight or even a little right. If it did fade at the end it wasn't much.

Now that I'm thinking about it the neutron Ion might actually fly pretty close to an electron Envy.

I am throwing a bit farther consistently these days, and I revisited the idea of throwing an Envy on every hole at the local.

Some of the holes are beyond reach. The best example I can think of is hole 3. It's 400 on the nose, 8' downhill.

This is the hole that I don't think I could ever birdie with an Envy unless I got a good rip and a bit of tailwind. As it is, I'm landing C2.

The other day I did an hour or two of fieldsies with just my 10 Envys. All the BH lines, maybe extra time on anny lines since the flat and hyzer lines were really dialed.

I concluded that I'm averaging/reliable to about 340 or 350 with slight HW/TW, plus or minus. 330-380 was the range. (my distance driver full send is about 430-440' reliable)

I'm not sure I have a point. I guess what I realize is that even though I've made a great effort to play a putter-centric game, I drift away from that.

It's time to bring my game back to simple yet again; throw this disc if the target is less than about 350-360' flat windless.

I love my Hex, but it offers maybe another 20' or 30' tops on BH. It excels at FH though, and I'm increasingly viewing it as a FH specialty disc since Envy offers great distance.

If anyone asks me, this disc is such an automatic rec.

Hey did they just do a run of cosmic electron soft envy? Or did I just find a secret stash? :D

Are those a thing for you? I have a couple Lab Second Cosmic Electron Soft Envies I'd be happy to send to someone that really loves them. (I'm happily stocked up on non-cosmic Electron and Soft Electrons).

Are those a thing for you? I have a couple Lab Second Cosmic Electron Soft Envies I'd be happy to send to someone that really loves them. (I'm happily stocked up on non-cosmic Electron and Soft Electrons).

I really appreciate the gracious offer, but I'm Canadian eh! Haha it will cost you more to ship em than the discs are worth!

Ha yup, I do love em.. I got a used one off a FB a while back, used it in the yard for a month or two and then relegated it to the competition bag so I wouldn't trash it on rocks. Got a lot of aces on it, two in one round at my place and a tourney ace this year. It is probably the straightest envy I own, magic disc :D

Picked up a bunch of the JC soft team electron envy but I'm not convinced they're the same. I got a fresh cosmic one off a FB auction that needs a dirty beatin. I was thinking I'd pick up a few more to increase the sample size... but I should really just buy my buddy his birthday disc and pay down my credit card with the rising interest rates :D

I think the cosmic has a bit higher dome on em and I feel like the rim is more durable but that could all be superstition and luck of the shot.

Do you also feel like they are different?

Hmmm I procrastinated overnight, 2 of the cosmic e soft are gone... panic sets in... 5+ putter sale 10 percent off...

Who doesn't need another 5 envy haha.

Hmmm I procrastinated overnight, 2 of the cosmic e soft are gone... panic sets in... 5+ putter sale 10 percent off...

Who doesn't need another 5 envy haha.

Don't know if my recent cosmic L2s are soft, firm or otherwise, but I like them plenty. Proletarian white L2s not pictured.

Attachments

• 8EE9D1DA-93BF-4E4F-8845-3101796ABF61.jpg
    8EE9D1DA-93BF-4E4F-8845-3101796ABF61.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 16