• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axiom Envy

Stupid question, I'm sure some must, but... do people putt with these, or just throw them? Currently I'm throwing a nice and Straight Electron Firm Envy, but wondering if mold minimalism is worth doing and giving up on my anode/ion putters? I don't have an envy beat in enough yet to replace the fierce/spin battle that is going on in the bag for the understable putter role though... I did putt with proxies for a while, but drifted back over to my "round fingered friends"...

It is a role I've never even really considered the envy for at present...

Stupid question, I'm sure some must, but... do people putt with these, or just throw them? Currently I'm throwing a nice and Straight Electron Firm Envy, but wondering if mold minimalism is worth doing and giving up on my anode/ion putters? I don't have an envy beat in enough yet to replace the fierce/spin battle that is going on in the bag for the understable putter role though... I did putt with proxies for a while, but drifted back over to my "round fingered friends"...

Fwiw I use two envy (+backups) primarily. A soft electron 174ish and a plasma 165... with an occasional 174 neutron Halloween widow. I approach with both but generally putt more often with the plasma or neutron. My soft electron has enough wear that it is deadly straight with a little turn on a flat throw, sets down with minimal fade. Within C1 and out to about 40 or 50' it's a premium one to putt usually. If it's longer I will opt for the soft electron for a harder line drive kind of putt.

I like the fade, makes it easy to range on putts, hides some flaws, I also play a lot of one disc rounds

The only other putter in my bag will be a spin, good for tonals on a hyzer but mainly an approach disc. Love the way it hyzer flips and drops straight or turns from a good flat throw.

Stupid question, I'm sure some must, but... do people putt with these, or just throw them?

I usually putt Proxy and throw Envy (both Electron), but for my putt they are not that different inside the circle (ymmv, of course). After losing the Proxy recently I putted with the Envy for several rounds. Putting was about the same as usual (for better or worse :rolleyes:).

Currently I'm throwing a nice and Straight Electron Firm Envy, but wondering if mold minimalism is worth doing and giving up on my anode/ion putters?

People will have opinions, but ultimately you need to answer that question for yourself. . . . :)

FWIW once I get some Soft Electron Envies nice and beat up I might just drop the Proxy, throw the fresh Envy and putt with the beat one.

I don't have an envy beat in enough yet to replace the fierce/spin battle that is going on in the bag for the understable putter role though.

Soft Electron Envy should beat up quicker than other plastics, if you decide to go that route.

Last edited:
First tournament practice ever. Threw the Envy a fair bit on approach but actually thinking on the way home that I might try it off the tee on the last three holes, all of which are longish but are more about being the in the fairway for the second than about biting off distance.

I putt with the Proxy except when I putt with the Envy. If there's any kind of a ceiling where I might need to power up a bit, the Envy's probably getting the call. And if the Proxy didn't exist, the Envy would probably be my choice. It's really comfortable, and that's half the battle right there. That said, the Proxy is proving to be deadly from distance and I'm glad I'm not living in that other world without.

First tournament practice ever. Threw the Envy a fair bit on approach but actually thinking on the way home that I might try it off the tee on the last three holes, all of which are longish but are more about being the in the fairway for the second than about biting off distance.

I putt with the Proxy except when I putt with the Envy. If there's any kind of a ceiling where I might need to power up a bit, the Envy's probably getting the call. And if the Proxy didn't exist, the Envy would probably be my choice. It's really comfortable, and that's half the battle right there. That said, the Proxy is proving to be deadly from distance and I'm glad I'm not living in that other world without.

Proxy/Envy has become my favorite two-disc combo, tied only with Buzzz/Comet

I drive+approach+putt with Electron Envies (usually the same pair for any given round). I like them at least a little beat-up for putting. I do it mostly for mold minimalization. (I do not like carrying more than 14-16 discs.) I do Envy+Zone for most things inside 275'.

I do a pretty firm spin putt. Usually have about one three-putt hole per round. These things go far if you put some zing on them at the edge of the circle and either airball or bounce the top of the basket.

I actually like the wear pattern on the electrons. They don't get to proxy-level-stable anytime soon, but they do get some glide fairly quickly.

Electron envy has a magnificent wear pattern.. When you love em long enough they get even more awesome!!

Well same for any envy :D

I got some from a long ways back, fresh ones kind of get me down haha. 165 L2 JC CN, license plate to be specific.

Last edited:
Electron Envy's are my jam. I quit bagging them in any other plastic. I prefer the firm myself and find they seem to beat in pretty quickly to a very neutral flight then they just kind stay there for a long time.

I wish I could putt with them but I just prefer a higher shoulder and a little dome in my putting putters.

I putt with an Envy. I love them as a putter, except if they become damp or wet. I usually use my Eclipse for everything, but if my Electron is more convenient, I'll putt with it.

I bag a slightly stable and slightly understandable duo.

More and more I just ask myself if I really need a crush off the tee. If I don't, I should throw an Envy. Both for results and for future results.

I tried loving the proxy and envy as putters but it just didn't work for me. That said the Envy is one of the main staples in my bag. Soft Neutron for big rips and no chance of turnover or some really nice flex shots. Eclipse is straighter for longer with a gentler fade. Fresh medium electron for grippy awesome throws that are floaty and not a harsh fade (mine is a freshie so not getting used too much atm). Last is the JC world champ envy that is beat up so it's dead straight with half power and a little turn with a little come back at high speeds.

So I got the (restock?) Cosmic Soft Electron envy's Monday.

First look and feel is the dome is a touch lower, hard to tell though because my fav is clovering but compared to my other fresher one the cosmic are 1mm lower. So far they throw decent but they need month before I have any kind of opinion that matters. Dropped 2g down to 172 so maybe they are old stock I had just missed? Instantly like them a touch better than my JC WC soft.. I don't think there's a difference but somehow the feel a little firmer, little more stable.

Another (late) opinion.

Mold and disc minimalism is great. I have gone both ways often over the 18 years I have been playing. I still usually only carry my core molds (not everything in my sig).
The advice from my experience don't feel obligated to throw your putting putter mold. The worst I ever messed up my game was insisting on putting the same mold I throw. I would throw one putter great and never putt well or would sacrifice some versatility/distance throwing what I putt.
I throw envy's and putt serpents now and am very happy. I Miss wizards occasionally where I have trouble powering down envy's, I also approach polecat or berg… not much minimalism going on in my big bag these days.

I change up my bag a lot just for fun. An Envy comes with me no matter what. Although it's in there for throws and anny forehand approaches around trees, I will putt with it in rare circumstances where a head wind makes me a little scared of using my normal putting putter.

Personally my minimalism was accidental, I play at home a lot, don't pack a bag, just 3 or 4 tops. Lot of 2 disc head to head rounds. The envy just kinda does it all for me.

I haven't used my tourney bag in 3 years :( haha.

The minimalism talk has me thinking the envy is the perfect putter to run a super minimal bag. It's like a tweener putter. I could play just about every course with envy, kaxe, anax. Yes I like hss straight discs.

Another (late) opinion.

Mold and disc minimalism is great. I have gone both ways often over the 18 years I have been playing. I still usually only carry my core molds (not everything in my sig).
The advice from my experience don't feel obligated to throw your putting putter mold. The worst I ever messed up my game was insisting on putting the same mold I throw. I would throw one putter great and never putt well or would sacrifice some versatility/distance throwing what I putt.
I throw envy's and putt serpents now and am very happy. I Miss wizards occasionally where I have trouble powering down envy's, I also approach polecat or berg… not much minimalism going on in my big bag these days.

I tend to agree with this philosophy, ish. To me, pretty much every putter acts the same in C1, and without that much difference in C2. I've tried lots of different putters and found they all got similar results. I was carrying 2 Envies for a while, one for putting, and one for driving/approach, but honestly, just didn't see the need for both. The only time I might bring 2 is for a course where losing my driving putter is a real danger. I don't want to be without a putter. At the same time, if the Envy didn't feel good in the hand for me to putt, I would still always carry a second putter.

The minimalism talk has me thinking the envy is the perfect putter to run a super minimal bag. It's like a tweener putter. I could play just about every course with envy, kaxe, anax. Yes I like hss straight discs.

For sure. I never carry more than 6 discs in my bag, but often will carry just 3 without even bringing my bag. I roll with Envy, Hex or Crave, and Wrath when I go for a 3 disc round. The Hex or Crave work better for turnovers than the Envy or Wrath do.

Personally my minimalism was accidental, I play at home a lot, don't pack a bag, just 3 or 4 tops. Lot of 2 disc head to head rounds. The envy just kinda does it all for me.

I haven't used my tourney bag in 3 years :( haha.

Yeah man, I kind of did the same thing. My home course was pretty straight forward, so I just dropped down to a small 6 disc bag. Started shooting my best rounds with it, so I started taking it to longer, more complex courses and continued to play my best golf. Now any time I try to add more discs I end up playing worse than if I limit myself to only 6 choices.

I picked up 6 more Envys today. Because I didn't have enough lol.

3 plasma electron (soft, med, firm)
1 watermelon pattern proton
1 163g Lab 2nd neutron
1 plasma prism

The medium electron plasma and Lab 2nd have already stood out as plus copies. They are all terrific.

I picked up 6 more Envys today. Because I didn't have enough lol.

3 plasma electron (soft, med, firm)
1 watermelon pattern proton
1 163g Lab 2nd neutron
1 plasma prism

The medium electron plasma and Lab 2nd have already stood out as plus copies. They are all terrific.

Nice! I'm a big fan of electron, love the feel of the soft, but I feel like I could get a better wear cycle out of my firmer ones..

Absolutely loving the prototype electron eclipse envy. It's my first firm one, I think :D besides the JC holy one I haven't thrown. It's absolutely awesome, my favourite plastic for sure. Got 2 backups, from a seemingly sketchy connection that turned out just to be a new dude on the sale scene :D

Also really feeling the 165 neutron one I've got (well I got two haha) they're the L2 jc 21 mvp open ones. They have a great late stability and a nice opening turn, paired with a very good puttability. I've thrown a lot of envy's and these ones were a highlight.

Match play has been fun, envy and uplink, green team vs not green haha. Why the F*** don't I ever end up with matched colours? I've got like friggin 30+ envy probably 6 or 7 uplinks and I can't find two pairs in the same colour?

It's funny, I went because I'm down to 1 Eclipse (proton) and wanted to restock. That Eclipse is my go-to, and I get great distance from it. Not fadey OS, but wind-resistant OS. Just a killer disc.

Anyways. They were out of proton eclipses. So I'm messin with some other blends. Lots of nuance and great flight. Just a real satisfying mold.

The plasma is pretty close to the Eclipse. The fission or proton too.

That lab2 tho...something about it is extra special. It's going straight in the bag, replacing my 165g neutron that is also a great flyer.

I think I might trim the bag from heavy and light neutral Envy to just one neutral, and I like that new electron plasma medium at 167g for that role. It goes super far and likes to not fade.

Latest posts