• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axiom Envy

That's just it. Shallow discs are not "glidey" by design. I've always kept a well worn neutron Anode in the bag for just the slot you're describing. Plenty'o'glide on that sucker.

Agree with brutalbrutus on that. MVP/Axiom discs are not the glidiest of discs, and the Proxy is no exception. And it's relatively shallow, so it's more for speed than "float".

Yeah that's what endeared the Envy to my game even the 165's that I throw resist my short game snap/spin... the glidiest mvp putter is the Spin IMO but yeah one more mold..

What do you guys throw as a less stable/slower/less driver-ish complement to your envies? I picked up a neutron proxy 167g to fill this slot but I'm not sure at this point if it powers down as nicely as I need it to. For reference, this slot would otherwise be filled by a beat up blend Judge.

My putter lineup looks like this:

Hard or Medium Dagger 175g for circle putts
Beat up Hard Dagger 173ishg for longer putts and go-fors
The slot I'm looking to fill
Neutron Envy 173g for straight to fade approaches and drives - a click more stable than the premium Judges I was throwing
ESP Zone 174g - pure forehand beef, thrown as a mid backhand.

Go beat in a lighter Electron Envy. Trust me.

Go beat in a lighter Electron Envy. Trust me.

Thanks for the tip - I've heard that the electrons seem to be kind of inconsistent or more likely a different mold than the premiums.

I am actually thinking about just nutting up and throwing my daggers. I was sifting through the dead Dagger thread and someone mentioned that they liken them to a beaded lid in flight. I'm starting to realize that that is exactly what I might be looking for in this slot... funny how an answer could end up right under one's nose... :popcorn:

Thanks for the tip - I've heard that the electrons seem to be kind of inconsistent or more likely a different mold than the premiums.

I am actually thinking about just nutting up and throwing my daggers. I was sifting through the dead Dagger thread and someone mentioned that they liken them to a beaded lid in flight. I'm starting to realize that that is exactly what I might be looking for in this slot... funny how an answer could end up right under one's nose... :popcorn:

Try the Polecat too.
You throw a Comet so you already understand what neutral, floaty goodness is.

Polecat bonus: people freak out when you use one. "Is that a bleeping Polecat?" Or, "what the hell was that you threw?" Or, my favorite, "That bleeping Polecat." That last one almost always incorporates a shaking of the head.

Soft Electron. The rim is firm and plate soft.
Plus the Envy is beaded...micro bead, but still

Try the Polecat too.
You throw a Comet so you already understand what neutral, floaty goodness is.

Polecat bonus: people freak out when you use one. "Is that a bleeping Polecat?" Or, "what the hell was that you threw?" Or, my favorite, "That bleeping Polecat." That last one almost always incorporates a shaking of the head.

Since I've become enamored with these fast, flat gyro putters I decided I need to try some 'floaty goodness' for touch shots and picked up a couple Polecats today, DX 144g and 172g. Haven't thrown them yet but they don't feel horrible in the hand. How do they handle touch flick shots?

There was a used Polecat in the used bin, in great condition with a tourney stamp from 1991. I had them weigh it and it was 104g.

Since I've become enamored with these fast, flat gyro putters I decided I need to try some 'floaty goodness' for touch shots and picked up a couple Polecats today, DX 144g and 172g. Haven't thrown them yet but they don't feel horrible in the hand. How do they handle touch flick shots?

There was a used Polecat in the used bin, in great condition with a tourney stamp from 1991. I had them weigh it and it was 104g.

Feels a bit weird at first, but not bad. The heavier one should have pretty good angle integrity.
The lighter ones you really need to watch your form on FH.
But yeah, they work fine. (104 is probably squirrelly though.)

You've likely "heard" that from one or two people that quite frankly, seem to have an axe to grind. Ignore them, they know not what they speak of... ;)

E Envys are as consistent as everything else MVP makes. Which is to say - incredibly consistent. I own 5 mediums and 2 softs. They are awesome, grippy baseline versions of the disc, they feel great, throw great, have a little more glide and will beat in to atom/proxy territory with regular use.

Then again, I'm much more likely to buy a disc and try it for myself (especially if it's a disc I already love in a new plastic blend) than listen to some internet gibber-jabber when it comes to this stuff.

If the dagger suits ya, then sure throw it. I find them to be wayyyy too floaty and unpredictable in any sort of wind conditions, which makes them useless as a driving putter to me...

If daggers were great throwing putters then Ricky would be using them for more than just putting.

yeah I used the Dagger in an upshot a couple weeks ago and it was pretty windy....it just fluttered and turned over and into the dirt haha or snow. Its a fine disc for short upshots but I agree its a PUTTER for sure - for upshots I use a Serpent or Iridium for short range/low glide and Atom or Particle for longer.

Dagger just isn't built to be a 'throwing' disc. its great for putting tho!

It's a little faster than what I really want... Also I think it would help to really season it some to get that float going more like a base plastic Aviar class putter.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Beat in an electron Ion or Anode, that will give you the slowest, floatiest flight you can get from MVP's current stable.

Electron Spin perhaps.. I get it to hold height better than any other MVP putter, definitely more lift than the Proxy. I've only thrown it in proton though.

Mid range complement?

What are people using to bridge from the Envy to their drivers? This is a slot that I've had a really hard time nailing down since permanently bagging the Envy a couple of years ago. I've experimented with a few tweener type molds (Kaxe, Squall and Zombee) to avoid overlap with the Envy and the only one to really stick is the Squall but I find it's more of a finesse disc.

I'm looking for something that I can rip on like an Envy, feel confident that it's not going to drift right and not come back, but also not have a driver like fade at the end. Basically I want a longer Envy :p.

I also don't have a lot of access to feel up discs before I buy, looking for specific PLH's and such, so looking for a consistent mold. Also baseline plastics are a no-go due to the rugged nature of the courses I mostly play.

I used to love throwing Buzzzes and was thinking about going back that route. Maybe a Wasp? Too much overlap?

Maybe I'll just get rid of everything except Envys and Volts...

What are people using to bridge from the Envy to their drivers? This is a slot that I've had a really hard time nailing down since permanently bagging the Envy a couple of years ago. I've experimented with a few tweener type molds (Kaxe, Squall and Zombee) to avoid overlap with the Envy and the only one to really stick is the Squall but I find it's more of a finesse disc.

I'm looking for something that I can rip on like an Envy, feel confident that it's not going to drift right and not come back, but also not have a driver like fade at the end. Basically I want a longer Envy :p.

I also don't have a lot of access to feel up discs before I buy, looking for specific PLH's and such, so looking for a consistent mold. Also baseline plastics are a no-go due to the rugged nature of the courses I mostly play.

I used to love throwing Buzzzes and was thinking about going back that route. Maybe a Wasp? Too much overlap?

I was going to say Buzzz, especially Titanium Buzzz. Then going higher, a Champion Leopard3.
And then a TL or FD...

Glow Buzzz or Glow MD3 are good choices. I haven't tried a EMac Truth, but that may work too. Wasp is shorter than a Buzzz. The Hornet would be longer than a wasp

Definitely try an EMac Truth. Lucid or Moonshine. It's a longer mid, encroaching into fairway territory, so it won't overlap with the envy as much as other mids.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk