• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad Etiquette?

This past weekend I won my first PDGA tournament in the Intermediate division. With 8 holes left in the final round I let another player know that we were tied for the lead. The very next hole after that his game fell apart and I went on a birdie run winning by ten strokes. This player complained to me and others that I "iced" him by telling him that we were tied. Is it bad etiquette to tell other players on your card where you stand? I think he was just being a sore loser.

I agree with you.

Disc golf is, by and large, a very amiable sport. I've been in your shoes (albeit with smaller prizes and bragging rights at stake) and have said similar things. I don't think it's bad form at all. I think it was just you trying to form a bond (however superficial) with your card-mate. Interaction breeds more familiarity, familiarity breeds friendship, and friendship breeds more fun. Unfortunately, this cat seems to want to scapegoat your factual statement to his self-destruction. That's a shame.

People much wiser in the sport than me have said "it's bad form" and/or have related stories (however anecdotal) how top pros never discuss the score. Point taken, but the fact remains you were playing in the amateur division. Nobody can legitimately fault another person for their poor play unless their opponent physically interfered with their throw(s), especially amateurs. If your game $hit the bed after someone told you the score, then you need to work on your mental game and quit looking to blame someone else for your missteps.

In short, there's always something or someone to blame your bad shots on if you look hard enough, but those fragile egos who do are typically the same people who do that in other aspects of their lives as well so no amount of contrition is going to absolve your perceived "sin" anyway. Don't sweat it; it's his problem, not yours.

We're throwing frisbees in the woods, bro. It's not that serious.

lol last time I went there I realized I wont ever go back unless im with children or want to practice up shots. Its a nice course for BM but not on my level. just something you play when you want cubby aces'

lol last time I went there I realized I wont ever go back unless im with children or want to practice up shots. Its a nice course for BM but not on my level. just something you play when you want cubby aces'

idk, it really tests that putter accuracy, sounds like the perfect place to settle this feud

that's about all lol. a couple holes are almost long putts from the tee.

last time i was there i took a 4 on hole 7. hahaha that like 130 shot that is a jump putt pretty much. i hit a tree. upshot hit a tree. missed my putt and then got it. it was awesome. its a good winter course. fun ace runner but thats about it

Id love to play a round with your rec ass'

name the place and time, seriously. ill keep score and make SURE to remind you how far behind you are EVERY hole.

I'll bring the camera and you bring the money, straight up 5 bills, post it to Youtube for everyone to watch. Then we can all laugh at how bad I beat your ass down. I've seen you throw, lol. :p

We're throwing frisbees in the woods, bro. It's not that serious.
while I agree with most of your response Nemmers and you are reiterating a sentiment shared by others on this site and in the game. I will say this. I do agree that one it was the intermediate division, two I am positive that the OP did it innocently and without malice, and three the person affected used the OP as a scapegoat to blame his poor play on.

BUT, this was not a monthly, league play or a casual round. if that were the case I would agree whole heartedly with your words quoted above. In this case the issue happen at PDGA event. Conduct at a sanctioned event needs to be more professional. It might just be throwing Frisbees bro for you but others may want to take the competition a little more seriously even in the lower divisions and their rights to fair competition are just as much as important as ones right to have fun and not take it serious. Plain and simple announcing scores at anytime during a round is poor form. Period. Now is it excusable in the intermediate division? absolutely. did the person getting bent out of shape overreact? absolutely. but to me that is still not an excuse to not make the OP aware that what he did was absolutely a faux pas and hopefully he will act accordingly next time.

It strikes me that even it were gamesmanship or trash talk---and I'm pretty convinced it wasn't---it would have been a pretty lame attempt at it.

I mean, if I wanted to get in the head of an opponent, I can think of a thousand things that should be more effective, from subtle to overt, than simply telling him the relative standings.

A few years ago I was leading a tournament going into the last round. I kept a separate scorecard so that I knew where I was at during the last round, but kept it to myself. When we got to the last hole, I had a 2-shot lead. The dude that was chasing me was first to tee, parked his drive, looked at me and proclaimed that I had better put mine close or the tournament was his. I politely corrected him, and informed him that I believe I had a 2-shot cushion. I ended up winning, as I laid up and took my 3 for the win. After the round the guy that was chasing berated the hell out of me for not telling him earlier what the scores were.

Basically, I'm just attempting to point out that people will get pissed if you tell them their score, and if you don't.......apparently.

I had almost the same thing happen but the guy I beat was more gracious. I was behind most of the final round by two strokes and I knew it.

I park 16, he parks 16. I make a surprise big putt to birdie 17 alone and get within one stroke. I'm all jazzed from the big putt and I'm on the 18's teepad before anyone else is even done with the hole and the second we get the scores down I park 18 with a FH. At this point me gobbling up two strokes in 55 seconds may have threw the other guy off cause he proceeded to throw an unremarkable drive but more importantly gets confused about the score and thinks he has to hit his 80 footer to tie me. In fact he could have just laid up to force a playoff. So he goes for his 80 footer, misses, misses again from 25, and I make my 18 footer for the one stroke win.

The other guy was mainly disappointed with himself but like I said was gracious but acknowledged he messed up with the score.