• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad Etiquette?

Stable

* Ace Member *
This past weekend I won my first PDGA tournament in the Intermediate division. With 8 holes left in the final round I let another player know that we were tied for the lead. The very next hole after that his game fell apart and I went on a birdie run winning by ten strokes. This player complained to me and others that I "iced" him by telling him that we were tied. Is it bad etiquette to tell other players on your card where you stand? I think he was just being a sore loser.

This past weekend I won my first PDGA tournament in the Intermediate division. With 8 holes left in the final round I let another player know that we were tied for the lead. The very next hole after that his game fell apart and I went on a birdie run winning by ten strokes. This player complained to me and others that I "iced" him by telling him that we were tied. Is it bad etiquette to tell other players on your card where you stand? I think he was just being a sore loser.
LOL. You have done nothing wrong.

If he was any sort of competitor he'd know exactly where he stood. Sounds like somebody was just looking for something to blame when he fell apart under a little bit of pressure.

Id say always keep it to yourself, if someone wants to know then they will know.

Don't worry about it man. That is nonsense. He should probably be playing rec if he falls apart after a knowledge bomb like knowing where you stand...yikes

Id say always keep it to yourself, if someone wants to know then they will know.

I agree with this, but also, to the OP, there is no unwritten rule not to reveal scores or anything like that. It could just as easily gone the other way...He could have got hot and you could have gone cold. So that other player has no one to blame but himself.

Some people thrive on it. I know I do. A few weeks ago I played a tournament where the eventual winner in our division was ahead by something crazy like 18 throws on Sunday. My buddy Steve had outplayed me by around ten throws the second round, but I had beat him by five in the first. So we were battling for second, basically just playing against each other, and we both brought it hard. The others on our card were constantly telling us our scores. I closed the gap, but in the end he bested me by one stroke in the totals. Either way, we both played our hearts out and left it all out on the course.

So it may screw with some people's heads, but it lights a fire in others.

If he's thrown off that easily he should never compete at anything, ever.
I'm sure he felt better when his mom gave him a glass of chocolate milk and tucked him in.

But Horsman is right. He should have known where he stood. There's no point in saying anything.

I prefer not to know or think about those things during a round. I either know I'm playing well or not.

There are people who prefer not to know what the scores are during a round. I always prefer when people ask if I want to know the scores before announcing them. I probably wouldn't complain out loud if someone told me the scores, but if they asked I'd likely decline to hear them.

Does seem a bit silly to blame a loss on that, though.

So, a general rule of thumb is to ask other players if they'd like to hear the scores midway through a round.

Yeah that was dirty what u did. U should have kept ur score to yourself. Just like proffesional golfers try not to look at the scoreboard. There is already enough pressure being on the lead card without u "workin him".

Its "bad form" for u to do that. U wont make many friends calling out someone elses total score in a tournament.

While I think discussing score during the round is kind of a no-no, this guy has no right to blame his performance on anything besides himself.

It's definitely something that can happen, well not to the cool operators in this thread, but mere mortals sometimes get psyched out.

One time I was playing with the guy that introduced me to the sport, in the beginning I would routinely be 20+ strokes over. Then one day it happened, I was 3 strokes under him on the last hole. I thought to myself "if I +2 and he -1 we'll be tied." My brain is a real a-hole sometimes. We tied.

That being said its hilarious that he complained about it. Falling apart because of something someone said to you is way WAY More embarrassing than just falling apart.

I vote not guilty.

yes

It is bad etiquette to tell other players their scores or ask where they are in relation to par. Everybody has the right to look at the scorecard at any time. If somebody wants to know their score, or your score, or anybody else's score, then they will know it. So you can shut up about scores during a round.

Also, I'm guessing you are that guy that asks somebody what disc they are going to use while they are lining up a shot on the tee, or tell them the wind is going to do this or that so make sure to put extra hyzer on it. You probably make "helpful suggestions" about a shot somebody is about take.
YOU ARE NOT YOUR CARDMATES' CADDY! UNLESS THEY ASK, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF.

I've had rounds where I didn't really want to know my score, but in all honesty, I've never had a cow if one of my cardmates told me.

So, my advice is don't spill any beans that your cardmates would rather not know, but seriously, in a clutch situation, knowing that sort of stuff can help in making strategy decisions, so I don't really see silence as the best policy either.

The consensus seems to be that you did not break any rules by announcing the tie, but it was indeed bad form.
Also, he cannot blame his poor performancce on you. Even if someone tries to "ice" you (which i understand was NOT your intention), your performance is still your own responsibility.

Here is my story, this was my first tourney. After almost four full rounds, I was competing for second place in Grandmasters with another competitor on our card and it came down to the last few holes. I knew it was tight, but did not want to see the scorecard and get distracted by it. With three holes remaining, my card-mate requested that the guy with the card announce all our scores. The card guy asked us if this was okay and we all said no, except for the one player. After a brief conference between the one player and the card-keeper, my close competitor announced loudly that he and I were tied for second.
It is my belief that he was trying to "ice" me because I was acually having a good round and made up a lot of ground. I continued to play my game and ended up getting second place by one stroke, after he tried to birdie the last hole and I played it safe for a par.

Calling out my score situation, even after I had stated my preference to remain silent was rude. But my performance is still my own responsibility.

bad form? yes. bad etiquette? Not really...

I am one of those guys who doesn't like to know his score. I use to be all over the card...but I found that I would start playing the course ahead of me. "If I birdie there and par here I'll get back on track" Never a good thing. My motto now is only need to know the score on the last hole. If I'm within a couple strokes then maybe I can make a move. If not, well, then it really doesn't matter.

You really shouldn't have said anything unless you were asked. It's a type of gamesmanship that many frown upon

I prefer not to know or think about those things during a round. I either know I'm playing well or not.

There are people who prefer not to know what the scores are during a round. I always prefer when people ask if I want to know the scores before announcing them. I probably wouldn't complain out loud if someone told me the scores, but if they asked I'd likely decline to hear them.

Does seem a bit silly to blame a loss on that, though.

So, a general rule of thumb is to ask other players if they'd like to hear the scores midway through a round.

I don't want to know, and will make that known early on in the round.

It's poor etiquette. Keep your score to yourself until it's time to turn in the card.