• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

Considering all the love here for Lake Stevens baskets, the irony of the hate for Hornings baskets doesn't escape me.

They're more or less the same size as a regular basket. Only if you're close enough to reach around or over you could drop it in on some of them for sure. The course is pretty short and heavily wooded so these baskets make what would be a pretty easy course much more interesting.

From what Scott Stokely said on his YouTube channel, the baskets were made from old grill or smoker inner tubing modified for disc golf spray painted up white for easier visibility with white Primer Spray paint. I think you can find the info on his channel about the baskets during the point he lived in Oregon or Washington before the company he worked for moved to Colorado.

I am completely aware of the intentional design. However, to be within 6 ft. of the basket on your drive and yet have no chance to birdie doesn't really make for fun nor fair golf..

Its plenty fair. You just have to place more emphasis on where your approach shots land. There are plenty of holes out there where a tree makes you place an approach shot on a particular side of the basket. These are no different.

They're not annoying, they're "unique" ��

Yes and make an easy course more challenging. It was like the Course I played in 2009 at Cape Henalopen State park, they used old original Mach II style baskets and about 1/3 to 1/2 of the baskets Had been converted back to Mach I Pole hole, those Mach I Pole holes are not designed for modern putter discs but rather the Wham-O discs out at the time basket was made. Then I played Omaha Park in Rapid City in 2004 with original baskets that had a large diameter cage that were made the way they were to have the large diameter Wham-O discs like the Pro/100 mold and the World Class Frisbee out at the time lay flat in the bottom of the cage. Also very few of the very small chains set that were mostly up higher being used for the basket. I wish I had Pictures of the old 1980 baskets, as of mid 2010's the Local Disc Golf Club Used the old style Discraft Chainstar Baskets to replace the old homemade baskets that when I played in 2004 were in need of replacement.

Last edited:
Its plenty fair. You just have to place more emphasis on where your approach shots land. There are plenty of holes out there where a tree makes you place an approach shot on a particular side of the basket. These are no different.

Hey, I like a good jailhouse basket as much as the next dg-obsessed maniac. But the entrance on some of those baskets is 180° or less---they might as well be plywood with a 2 1/2 ft. hole in it that can only be thrown in through one side. And again, I liked the course: while living almost 2 years in nearby Marysville I played it 15-20 times.

Last edited:
Funny thing about those Lake Stevens baskets. Traveling players and others playing there for the first time hate them. The locals absolutely love 'em. I believe they've had plenty of opportunities to swap them out with conventional baskets but they just don't want to, they like them just as they are. I don't know of another course that has these, so they do have a unique one-of-a-kind thing going, far as I know.

The basket in the pic is just one of the different variations. Many of them have completely different chain configurations, so you really need to know what side of the basket to land your shot. If you land on the wrong side, you could be 3 feet away and have no possible way to make the putt.

45a05158.jpg

My concern, way more than "can you make a putt from 360 degrees around the basket" is how well those chains catch. They don't look very robust, and I could easily see major blowthrough or spitout potential. I would absolutely hate this kind of basket if I knew that if I was putting from anywhere farther out than the outer edges of C1, it was a total crapshoot as to if I would hole out even with an on the money putt.

Otherwise, I see "overshot the hole? We designed it / positioned these baskets so you're in trouble if you did so" as a fun extra layer of challenge.

Had to think about it a bit, but this would definitely make running aces or going for long approaches a lot dicier. Good chance you end up with a two stroke "comeback."

This is one of those things that some will love and others hate. Really can't find fault with either group.

I think it would be neat to have on a course, but I don't think I'd like to see it become the norm.

Last edited:
Those baskets make that course! The holes avg around 220ish with a couple around 300 feet. We'd all be shooting -10 or better if the course had regular targets. The baskets themselves catch great. You can count on a roll away or two per round...it's all about the upshot at Lake Stevens. And, yes, locals have a bit of an advantage by knowing where to land the disc

LS baskets

I thought the baskets were fun, but they weren't all in the greatest shape (this was a couple few years ago). Some had super tight chains, etc.

Cool concept though. I liked them plenty. I was far more underwhelmed with the horrid navigation at the course.

I thought the baskets were fun, but they weren't all in the greatest shape (this was a couple few years ago). Some had super tight chains, etc.

Cool concept though. I liked them plenty. I was far more underwhelmed with the horrid navigation at the course.

They were recently updated and painted. The course now has very good signage. I feel it's a must-play if you're in the area, but I've brought out-of-towners there who absolutely hated the baskets.

I think those would be fun to play on. They're unique, that's for sure. Even on, actually especially on, a road trip. It's like the cones in Minneapolis, they catch worth a crap, but boy were they fun to play a round on. You're putting better be on point for the cones. These your upshot needs to be placed just right.

You can also travel 30 minutes north of Lake Stevens and play on these! J/K, I'm not really sure if these are played anymore, but they're cool old baskets that they've left in place at least for nostalgia's sake.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2427.

fac6d925.jpg

9d9d39ae.jpg

4ca598d6.jpg

Lol! Those are some crazy...um.."baskets". I actually like playing on weird targets like that. Maybe I need to head to the Pacific Northwest.

I just had to scroll up to the top to see what thread I was in. Seriously. :doh:<3

I've seen that red one before, but don't remember the other two. I wonder if they are included in one of the "unique basket" threads. A thread like that should get bumped for nostalgias sake. A lot of people probably haven't seen some of those baskets! :thmbup:

I just had to scroll up to the top to see what thread I was in. Seriously. :doh:<3

I've seen that red one before, but don't remember the other two. I wonder if they are included in one of the "unique basket" threads. A thread like that should get bumped for nostalgias sake. A lot of people probably haven't seen some of those baskets! :thmbup:

I started a Unique Basket thread a year ago, that seems to be the most popular. I mentioned the Sign course and then the old homemade baskets at Omaha Park in Rapid City South Dakota. Most of that thread ended up with odd home built chintzy baskets but some that were truly unique home baskets/targets or a basket that was put in near the ground on purpose on a few courses.

Ah yes, NSRA---an interesting course with silly art project baskets. Played it a few times 'cause some of the drives/approaches were unusually cool, like driving from the 2nd floor of the old milking barn on #18, which gave you a 30 ft. elevation drop to the basket. :thmbup:

Latest posts